Golf Thread

Associate
Had my fitting at Silvermere on Saturday. Well worth the trip and the fitter was really helpful in giving tips to try and sort my slice too. Wasn’t all about the clubs or a sell so just a great experience all in.

Had a full bag fit and found that pretty much everything I have is too soft a shaft and I need to up my grip size as gripping too hard on the standard grips. Also need a slight upward lie due to my height.

Ordered driver and a 58deg on the day and the rest to be ordered later on. Hopefully tie it all in with some lessons and more practice go sort my game out.

Soldato
why after all these years have I only just stumbled across this :rolleyes:

Anyway. Has anyone purchased the new Taylormade 300 Mini Driver yet?

I currently game the Taylormade Original One Mini Driver which is proving very good for myself. Tempted with an upgrade but just wanted to know thoughts on this new club.

So a bit of eBay bidding and I've just purchased a 2 day old Taylormade 300 mini Driver for £265. Complete with receipt from local American Golf shop for £349.

Head size now looks the perfect balance for me from my previous mini drivers.
See how it performs tomorrow.

Soldato
If anyone plays Vice golf balls, just got an email through with a buy 5 dozen get 1 dozen free code :

FREEDOZEN

code can be used at checkout, has to be on an order of the same type ball, so add 5 dozen of whatever ball, add the code and a free dozen gets added onto the order.

tried them but not a fan - found they cut/scuff really easy for me. Given a good go with Snell MTB-X balls this season but honestly, back to Pro V for me....Just can't see past them in terms of control/spin/feel etc.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
tried them but not a fan - found they cut/scuff really easy for me. Given a good go with Snell MTB-X balls this season but honestly, back to Pro V for me....Just can't see past them in terms of control/spin/feel etc.

Not quite sure when you tried them, but it appears the more recent versions don't scuff as easily. GolfWRX crew seem to confirm it too.

Soldato
So a bit of eBay bidding and I've just purchased a 2 day old Taylormade 300 mini Driver for £265. Complete with receipt from local American Golf shop for £349.

Head size now looks the perfect balance for me from my previous mini drivers.
See how it performs tomorrow.
Never understood the purpose of mini drivers, mayaswell learn to use a driver or use a 3 wood really.

Soldato
Never understood the purpose of mini drivers, mayaswell learn to use a driver or use a 3 wood really.

so for me a 3 wood can be used off the tee and the fairway. Yet a driver is purely off the tee. For those who have struggled with a longer shaft the introduction of a larger head yet shorter shaft fill this gap. My playing average is 253 yards from the tee with my mini driver so is perfect for me.

I've always struggled with a slice on a full driver hence my need for a mini.

kai

kai

Soldato
As advised on here - i picked up a real old set of clubs... But i am still actively looking on Facebook groups.
  • Titlest DTR Irons (these things are like 1990) with new grips.
  • TaylorMade 9' Aeroburner driver
  • Some £5 regal putter (it was dire).
£80 for the lot.

I dont yet know how far technology has moved on with Irons as i stopped 15 years ago. So i have not yet hit a modern Iron. I am hoping they are more forgiving?

I also used the M6 Driver (i think) yesterday that i shared during the round. I am averaging 260 carry. There is a huge leap in driver technology from the old big bertha's. I will just using these for the next month or so, while i do lessons and get back into the things.

Today i picked up the following based on the advice of friends.
  • Odyssey Stroke Lab Three Putter (£120)
  • Titliest Vokey 58 Wedge (£40)

Last edited:
Soldato
Irons are forgiving as you want them to be. Take Mizuno for example. JPX921 Hot Metal are distance irons, very forgiving, huge sweet spot. Hot Metal Pro a little less forgiving, Forged less forgiving still, JPX921 Tour used by Brooks Koepka on tour to win Majors.

kai

kai

Soldato
I am really struggling to find a set of irons, so many options out there. I was going to have a custom fit, but that would ideally mean purchasing from new. I am looking for a set of 2nd hand that are fairly decent. I mean, yes fitting would help my game but 15 years ago playing as a kid, the technology for items like GC2 machines etc was non-existent (i could be wrong). I got down to single figures with a set of Donnay golf clubs.

The only real thing i am really unsure of is if i need Regular or Stiff iron shafts. I am going to ask the Pro what he would recommend following my 1st lesson.

Looking at a few set: (circa £300 - 400) (looking on Golfbidder)

• Ping G400 (no idea what colour i would need, i assume black dot)
  • Taylor Made SpeedBlade Irons
  • Callaway XR Steelhead or Rogue
  • Titleist 716 AP2 Irons also seen AP3s close to this price.
Anyone have any other suggestions. I am looking for something that is forgiving. But completely open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Associate
  • Ping G400 (no idea what colour i would need, i assume black dot)
This explains the ping colour coding quite well and should apply to recent models https://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk/blog/ping-colour-chart/
It takes into account your height and measurement from your wrist to the floor.

If you go back a few years pretty much every ping g series iron from G15 onwards would be worth a look if your primary requirement is forgiveness.

G15 and G20 were like shovels, G25 had a more appealing slimmer look at address, G30 wasn't much of an upgrade from the 25. iirc the "G" introduced the power core or something, and the G400 has this as well. The colour codes linked above I think would apply to the G series irons onwards if you are looking for 2nd hand.

G30 and prior iirc had a slightly different set of colours including yellow which is no longer an option currently.

kai

kai

Soldato
Kind of went against the grain. But after watching several YouTube Videos, i picked up a set of Mizuno JPX EZ Forged irons (4-PW) on eBay this morning for £300.

Soldato
I have titleist ap1s (718) and find them a little chunky. The set goes from 5-gw so I got a mizuno mp20 hmb 4 iron and although that isn't a high handicapper club I find I could strike it well.
I get the high clubs have a bigger sweet spot and tend to go further but I think I prefer the smaller clubs which make you strike it better and go a shorter distance, I mean I dont care if my 7 iron goes 160 now with distance irons but goes 140 with better irons. I'll just get rhe 6 iron out =)

Soldato
Got all excited yesterday - Pro waved me into the shop - Thought "ya dancer" - Turns out, Ping have sent my UW, but nothing else yet!! haha.... So I have a UW but no 5-pw yet!! (waiting since 18th May)

Crazy stuff.

Thinking ahead - What are people playing between 3 wood and longest iron?

I have 3 wood, then 19 degree Cobra hybrid. My new irons will be 5 iron as longest (playing 26 degrees).

I will potentially have room in the back for something between 19 degree hybrid and 5 iron....

7 wood? Another hybrid? Not sure - hybrid struck well is around 230 for me. 5 iron currently is around 190.

Associate
I’m playing 3 wood, 5
Wood and then a 4 hybrid before irons. Gapping seems to suit but making changes to swing at the moment to try and be more consistent so will keep an eye on it.

Has anyone tried the Volvik vivid balls? I played yesterday and at times struggled to follow a white ball through the air. They strike me as easy to see and being 3 piece should be a step up from the AD333s I use at the moment. I have heard some easier to see than others though.

Back
Top Bottom