Golf Thread

kai

kai

Soldato
Nightmare. Ordered a second hand Odessey putter (stroke lab 3). I didn't read the small print. Shaft 31.5 inches. It's perfect if I was less than 5ft.

I am hoping (praying) a local pro shop can extended 2.5-3inches on the graphite shaft. I've seen adaptors online.

Soldato
Such an infuriating game.

I don't get to play much at the moment due to a young child and practice is non existent, however I still have a decent level of ability but my consistency is just terrible.

I played Heaton Park with a mate last night and ended up with 7 pars and a birdie. Still shot 93.

Too many double and triple bogeys on the rest of the holes. A couple of 3 off the tees, and then the rest was the odd poor approach shot or chip that were just plain bad.

Now all I want to do is get out there again!

Associate
Such an infuriating game.

I don't get to play much at the moment due to a young child and practice is non existent, however I still have a decent level of ability but my consistency is just terrible.

I played Heaton Park with a mate last night and ended up with 7 pars and a birdie. Still shot 93.

Too many double and triple bogeys on the rest of the holes. A couple of 3 off the tees, and then the rest was the odd poor approach shot or chip that were just plain bad.

Now all I want to do is get out there again!

Tough old slog Heaton Park, not played there for years but remember there was a fair few decent carry tee shots, and quite a few blind shots.

Soldato
Tough old slog Heaton Park, not played there for years but remember there was a fair few decent carry tee shots, and quite a few blind shots.

Ha yeah, it's certainly a workout. I play there as it's local and cheap, plus it's been in brilliant condition since being taken over by new owners a few years ago. I've just counted up and there's 10 blind tee shots, and the other 8 aren't exactly easy either.

Where do you play now? I seem to recall you're Tameside way? Werneth Low is another one that is a tough slog with lots of blind tee shots. Brilliant views on a clear day though.

Associate
Ha yeah, it's certainly a workout. I play there as it's local and cheap, plus it's been in brilliant condition since being taken over by new owners a few years ago. I've just counted up and there's 10 blind tee shots, and the other 8 aren't exactly easy either.

Where do you play now? I seem to recall you're Tameside way? Werneth Low is another one that is a tough slog with lots of blind tee shots. Brilliant views on a clear day though.

Yup, I'm in Ashton, and I'm a member at Ashton Golf Club, joined there earlier this year and really enjoying it, tis' a nice well kept course.

Underboss
Driver - 4 Wood - 2 Iron for me as it suits my gapping.

8.5* - 16.5* - 21*

Not that it matters at the moment, gone from a bad shoulder to a bad knee so my game is pretty pants right now.

Soldato
Yup, I'm in Ashton, and I'm a member at Ashton Golf Club, joined there earlier this year and really enjoying it, tis' a nice well kept course.

Ah nice, Ashton looks like a top course. Never played it unfortunately. I've played Dukinfield, Denton, Stamford etc but they don't really do anything for me.

I need to get a game at Manchester golf club one day as its down the road and looks like a stunning course. I just need to be more consistent with my game so I can enjoy it.

Associate
Ah nice, Ashton looks like a top course. Never played it unfortunately. I've played Dukinfield, Denton, Stamford etc but they don't really do anything for me.

I need to get a game at Manchester golf club one day as its down the road and looks like a stunning course. I just need to be more consistent with my game so I can enjoy it.

Yeah it's really well looked after and pretty fair as well (unlike Stamford lol where you can hit the best tee shot in the world and still end up in the rough).

I'll be happy to take you on Ashton if you want pal, just give me a shout.

Soldato
Yeah it's really well looked after and pretty fair as well (unlike Stamford lol where you can hit the best tee shot in the world and still end up in the rough).

I'll be happy to take you on Ashton if you want pal, just give me a shout.

My Dad was a member at Ashton 40+ years ago when we lived there.... Moved away when I was 5 but he loved it there. In his late 70's now but I would love the get back down with him sometime and play it for old times sake... Never played it myself.

Soldato
Playing poor at the moment - trying to work on my swing path but causing chaos at the moment.

Playing Royal Troon on Friday so will be stocking up with balls I think!!

Associate
My Dad was a member at Ashton 40+ years ago when we lived there.... Moved away when I was 5 but he loved it there. In his late 70's now but I would love the get back down with him sometime and play it for old times sake... Never played it myself.

Small world! Ask him if he knows a chap called Barry Fletcher, he was a member from being a young kid (late 60's), all the way through to around ten years ago.

As with DantheMan, if you're ever around here just give me a shout.

Soldato
Small world! Ask him if he knows a chap called Barry Fletcher, he was a member from being a young kid (late 60's), all the way through to around ten years ago.

I'll probably take you up on the offer at some point. I mainly play weekdays at the moment as weekends are usually filled up with plans my wife makes.

If you're around on weekday afternoons then I'll definitely be up for it.

Soldato

haha - cheers - 230 miles each way for me these days, but would love to head back sometime and play with my Dad, not likely anytime soon as he's full time carer for my mum and hardly plays these days.

I've asked him about the name Barry Fletcher - I'll let you know if he says anything!

Associate
I'll probably take you up on the offer at some point. I mainly play weekdays at the moment as weekends are usually filled up with plans my wife makes.

If you're around on weekday afternoons then I'll definitely be up for it.

Pretty stuffed for me weekdays except for very early or in the evenings, damn work lol, but if you ever have a day in mind give me a couple of weeks notice and I'll be able to sort some time away from the desk.

Associate
haha - cheers - 230 miles each way for me these days, but would love to head back sometime and play with my Dad, not likely anytime soon as he's full time carer for my mum and hardly plays these days.

I've asked him about the name Barry Fletcher - I'll let you know if he says anything!

Crikey, that'd be a drive and a half!

Be funny if he knows Barry (my uncle) - he was pretty good too, off about 4 I think in his prime.

The course will be very different to how your dad remembers it, they built a housing estate in the 80s near the old club house on what I think used to be the 1st and 18th end of the course, and extended the course more towards the Mossley end. Old club house was demolished and a new one built overlooking where the 18th was relocated to.

Soldato
Crikey, that'd be a drive and a half!

Be funny if he knows Barry (my uncle) - he was pretty good too, off about 4 I think in his prime.

The course will be very different to how your dad remembers it, they built a housing estate in the 80s near the old club house on what I think used to be the 1st and 18th end of the course, and extended the course more towards the Mossley end. Old club house was demolished and a new one built overlooking where the 18th was relocated to.

Would be around 1981/2 when we left Ashton to move to Scotland.... Been down a few times for family visits etc but less so these days

Soldato
I am really struggling to find a set of irons, so many options out there. I was going to have a custom fit, but that would ideally mean purchasing from new. I am looking for a set of 2nd hand that are fairly decent. I mean, yes fitting would help my game but 15 years ago playing as a kid, the technology for items like GC2 machines etc was non-existent (i could be wrong). I got down to single figures with a set of Donnay golf clubs.

The only real thing i am really unsure of is if i need Regular or Stiff iron shafts. I am going to ask the Pro what he would recommend following my 1st lesson.

Looking at a few set: (circa £300 - 400) (looking on Golfbidder)

• Ping G400 (no idea what colour i would need, i assume black dot)
  • Taylor Made SpeedBlade Irons
  • Callaway XR Steelhead or Rogue
  • Titleist 716 AP2 Irons also seen AP3s close to this price.
Anyone have any other suggestions. I am looking for something that is forgiving. But completely open to suggestions.

for me this "forgiving" area of golf club is a bit black and white. Questions I would as are: do you understand your club face/feel at impact? Do you understand the feel you have through your swing? If the answers to both of these are no then personally, no club will help currently. You're better buying a nice second hand set and seeing how "you" feel using them.

once you have a feel of your swing, set up etc then go and see your pro for a fitting or even a lesson. only then will you know what you need

Soldato
Has anyone spent time at Scotsdale Golf fitting centre in Manchester?

My i25s, which are now 6 years old are showing their age and I'm tempted to go here and experience their fitting centre for some new clubs.

I guess it depends how "independent" they are. Some places like to just push one or two brands as they tend to make more money on certain brands. If they are totally independent, I would go with an idea of what you like the look of and ask to try them. Be aware however, lead times for custom fitted clubs are mental - like 3-4 months in most cases.. Stock shortages etc.

Been waiting since 18th May for my i210's !!

Underboss
Managed to wangle my way onto a PING demo fitting day for irons and a driver today at 14:40.

Be good to see what I should be using shaft wise, could be expensive today.

Back
Top Bottom