Golf Thread

Soldato
Absolutely, great finish but doesn't change the rest of of the tournament. Lets hope its another 34 years before they host it here again :cry:

Now we can look forward to the open at St Andrews, that should be a cracker.

St Andrews has no water anywhere, some bunkers that are penal but lots are not really in play for the pro's.... Is very short by major champ standards and if it's dry and calm, it could play very very easy. (Friend of mine shot 72 scratch 3 weeks ago off the back tees and he plays off 4)

It's the history of the course, 150th open etc - but St Andrews isn't that exciting of a course, it's the history and tradition that's worth more.

Soldato
So I've done a naughty. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Just went to the American Golf Mega Store at the Three Hammers Complex in Wolverhampton. https://3hammers.co.uk/american-golf-shop/
Was wanting to be fitted for some new hybrids as I've always just picked them off the shelf and my 5iron was seeing similar distances to my 4 hybrid (TaylorMade Sim 2 Max).

So warm up with my 5iron as I don't think she believed my yardages.
Averaging 196yards. Swing Speed 94mph and 5200rpm. I was impressed by these numbers also.

First off I tried the Titleist Tsi2 3 and 4 Hybrid. Standard stiff shaft as these were what was catching my eye.
Numbers average were 206 carry. 99mph club speed and 4600rpm. 4 Hybrid.
TSi2 3 Hybrid was 101mph, 210carry and 4200rpm. Not amazing in comparison to my tailor-made. RPM was down but distances we're similar.
We then tried a Hazardus Smoke x-stiff 70 or 80gram. Carry went up by 2 to 5 yards and rpm dropped slightly. Consistency was much better. This I thought was a winning combination.

To even out the fitting I tried the Stealth and Stealth Plus. Both for me were crap. Awful clubs for my swing. High Spin, felt horrible off the face. Really disappointed.

Went back to try Tsi3. Shape of the head didn't install confidence so TSi2 was in the lead.............until.

Cobra LTDX Hybrid.
KBS PGI Stiff shaft. Standard length.
4 hybrid average 212carry, Swing Speed 99mph and 4400rpm. Consistency was through the roof.
This club in a 3 and 4 hybrid was a beast. So shocked at the performance.
3 Hybrid was coming out at 225carry and all using range balls via TrackMan into a Range so I could see ball flight etc. I was gobsmacked.

To finish off the test the girl asked me about my driver. I explained it's crap and how it's a shortened shaft etc.
She explained if it's not been re-weighted properly it could hinder me massively.
First hit, 238carry but spin was 4800 :eek:
Next one, slice, miles right, spin hit almost 6000rpm. I could clearly see where I was going wrong with this club.
I was a little embarrassed so said come on. Fit me a driver.

Straight to Cobra LTDX LS, Standard Length 45.5" with a Tensi AV Raw White 75g X-Stiff.
Carry 248 with spin of 3200rpm. Again using range balls so these numbers will increase and decrease.
We tried a stiff shaft but for my swing an X-Stiff was ideal and felt amazing.

So I've ordered.
Cobra LTDX LS - 10.5deg - Tensi AV Raw White 75g X-Stiff
Cobra LTDX 3 and 4 Hybrid - KBS PGI (75 or 85gram) - Stiff

Should be here in 4 weeks :cool:

Soldato
@magicroundabout - Nice!!

My only concern would be do you need 3 & 4 hybrid??

If you average around 195/200 for 5 iron, then 4 hybrid is 212/ 3 is 225.... Do you have anything between 3 hybrid and Driver?

Big jump between 3 hybrid and driver (225 to 248) - 4 hybrid then 3 wood then driver would potentially be better gapping.

As you would now go approx 12 yards between 5 iron to 4 hybrid, then 12 again to 3 hybrid then 25 to driver....

Just a Thought - REALLY don't want to hear how good the Cobra's are :cry: - Love the look of them for sure. Don't need that temptation in my life..... Love my 3 hybrid from a few years ago (Cobra speedzone) but might look for something with some adjustability as the flight is similar to my 4 iron....

Soldato
we did talk about the idea of a 3 wood but held off for now until I get fitted for some wedges to see if there is space.

A couple of the 3 hybrid shots (which were removed from averages) carried 240+ yards. absolute one off monster shots basically.

Honestly I couldn't believe how nice these Cobra clubs and shaft combinations were. I'm actually excited for these to arrive. Add these to my already performing irons, I just need to finish off my wedges and set complete for the next 5+ years.

Soldato
we mostly spend too much attention (me included) on the long end of the bag. I played yesterday, hit mostly 3w off the tee, hit a couple of 5w, no 5h, maybe one or two 5i. most of the shots hit were with wedges and putter - the two areas I have bought off the shelf.

Associate
Still pretty rubbish drives, 220-230 is about my max.
3w is around 190 max
4h is around 175-180 max

Still working on getting these longer, as I think it'll ultimately bring my handicap down and make the game much easier.

My shortgame is probably the strongest part of my game... then as I get further away from the green, approach... and mid-irons become increasingly bad, as with a short drive off the tee, I've got quite a long way to go still.

Soldato
it's all about technique. Which will come in time mate.
Once you get slightly longer (but straight) then the course does indeed become a little easier.

Trouble is consistency is key.
no good hitting a monster 275yard drive if you're going to top your next shot into the green.
sometimes slow and steady wins

Back
Top Bottom