Golf Thread

Soldato
Solid 4&3 win tonight in round of 16 for Handicap Club Champs...

Played solid - putted lights out again. Single putted first 5 greens. 21 putts through 15 holes.

Took 3 wood off 4th tee and 15th tee when normally it's driver but kept both in play which was good matchplay golf.

On to tomorrow nights round of 8....

Soldato
If you putt out, you have finished the hole and can't have any more goes so sorry, but you are wrong and the other guy was right.

correct - in a proper Texas Scramble - once the ball is in the hole - that's your score for the hole. So if he putted it in from an inch for the 4, and you all still had putts for 3, then your score is a 4......

Associate
It's not about me being right or wrong.
I'm still absolutely gobsmacked that this is an actual rule. :cry:
What is the point of this rule? What does it prevent?

Soldato
It's not about me being right or wrong.
I'm still absolutely gobsmacked that this is an actual rule. :cry:
What is the point of this rule? What does it prevent?

It's a rule... Like many in golf, they don't always make "common sense" but that's the way it is.

Think of it another way - 1st person putt up to 3ft and then says "i'll have another go at this one", then misses it. The others still have the original putt etc - starts getting messy. Texas Scrambles are generally about the fun side of things, but once the ball is in the hole, that's your overall score as a team, hence why you don't knock it in, until the others have played.

Much like me tonight - perfect lay up 4 iron, middle of the fairway, 200 to pin. Walk up, in a massive and I mean massive divot. Middle of the fairway. Ridiculous rule that it can't be moved to the side or something.

Associate
You're right, it doesn't make common sense! :cry:
Although, as everything in life should be questioned and improved on, rules like these 2 should obviously be improved upon.

I can't say any of these 2 rules have effected my play yet, it's just bonkers to me that these rules exist in times like these.

Soldato
Let's go....

Onwards we go...to the Semi finals of club champs (handicap side)

3&1 victory tonight - solid if unspectacular - Only 3 drivers all night (lost ball off the 1st with one of them!) :laugh: -- Giving away 1 shot.

Always generally 2 / 3 up, until he eagled the par 5 15th so 2up with 3 to play, we halved 16th and then I stuck 8 iron to about 15 ft on par 3 17th, and rolled home the birdie putt to win the match.

Semi finals tomorrow night - Looks like I've giving away 9 or 10 shots tomorrow night which could be hard work..... Lets see what happens.

Soldato
Despite trying my best to throw it away from 4up on 13th tee - I won my semi up the last.

Final of Club Championship tomorrow night (handicap side)

Other match was going extra holes when I left so not sure who i'm playing yet.

Giving 10 shots away and 5 shots in last 7 holes was hard.....

Lost 13/15/16/17 to be level on 18th tee. He stuck his 2nd shot in the deep rough and went to have a quick look for it and found it - then could hardly get it out. Think he had 4/5 goes at it before shaking hands. He should have probably just declared it lost and played his provisional as he had a shot up the last as well.

Knackered - off for a beer, and a long sleep. 5.10pm tee off tomorrow and usually a good few members come out to watch as the scratch final is 5pm.

Soldato
Lost 2&1 in the final....:(:( - Good game, he played very well.

I was getting 4 shots, but opponent used to be 1/2 handicap for years and only slowly drifted up to 5.6 or so, due to a loss of distance over last 3 or 4 years with back issues etc etc - Super solid, he made no mistakes all night.

I played pretty well tee to green and simply holed nothing all night. Can't say I hit any bad putts, lipped out 4 times and burned the edge on at least 3 other times.

Couple of those drop and different game. Was 4 down with 5 to play so happy to get it to where I did. Fun week, tiring playing 4 rounds of matchplay over 4 nights but good experience.

Had a good crowd of about 20/25 friends/members walking round so was a nice feeling to hit a good shot and get a ripple of applause towards the last few holes.

Always next year!!!

Soldato
sounds like a great experience mate. To even progress to the final is an achievement in itself.

Take pride in how well you played and come back stronger next year

yeah - pleased to get there - great experience like you say and was nice the have my dad and a couple of my playing mates walking around with me.

Only slight negative would be my trend to hitting more 3 woods than driver at the moment - whilst it's in play and I hit 3w very long, the course is drying out and I can get away with it. Need some work at the back end of the year again on my driver - just not comfortable with it at all just now.

Soldato
yeah - pleased to get there - great experience like you say and was nice the have my dad and a couple of my playing mates walking around with me.

Only slight negative would be my trend to hitting more 3 woods than driver at the moment - whilst it's in play and I hit 3w very long, the course is drying out and I can get away with it. Need some work at the back end of the year again on my driver - just not comfortable with it at all just now.

sometimes it's just sensible play. Keep it in play to give you a shot at the green.
Being long with a driver isn't always the option

Soldato
It's a typical US Open setup, long rough, fast greens. If you want low scores don't watch the US Open :)

Nothing to do with low scores I watch golf all the time and this just seems a bit boring to watch. No water hazards, bunkers are easy, greens are tiny. It's just fairway or massive long grass.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing to do with low scores I watch golf all the time and this just seems a bit boring to watch. No water hazards, bunkers are easy, greens are tiny. It's just fairway or massive long grass.

you watching a different tournament? Rough is massively penal, bunkers are massive, fairways are tight and fairly narrow....

Loved 3rd round last night - drama all the way. Can't wait for tonight. Would love to see Fitz win it...

Soldato
you watching a different tournament? Rough is massively penal, bunkers are massive, fairways are tight and fairly narrow....

Loved 3rd round last night - drama all the way. Can't wait for tonight. Would love to see Fitz win it...
Nope, but this is by far the worst US open course in recent years IMO.

Soldato
There is a water hazard right in front of one of the greens. And water is a much less interesting hazard than penal bunkers like these ones.

On other news, on the TopTracer Virtual Golf I birdied the Road Hole today :)

Back
Top Bottom