Golf Thread

Soldato
Had a solid game yesterday. We won all of our games at home, kept the ball on the fairway and didn't lose a ball. My twosome won 5/3, happy with how I played and hit some cracking shots.
Booked in an hour lesson with a recommended golf coach for 8th August, gonna be all about gaining distance.

sounds like your game is coming along nicely Mark. keep it up dude

Soldato
All depends on a lot of things that might be true..
Cam now has exemption to entry requirements for most of the big events. He gets US and British Open entry and Masters for coming 2nd.
He doesn't need pga points anymore, so he gets $125m (which is nearly the same as Tiger Woods total PGA earnings) in one foul swoop.
With regard to sponsors, LIV are taking on commentators which means they nearing a TV deal, and sponsors will be flocking. There's rumours of Adidas dropping money on players, so it won't be long before people have forgotten who runs this league.

and here was me enjoying golf because of the history and the fact the tournaments mean something.
Along comes LIV Golf with a boatload of cash and the sheep flock with no thought of history, legacy or how the game should be played. Makes a mockery of the sport.
£125m just to join a golf league is madness. You can see why they do it.
For me personally it goes against everything golf stands for.

Soldato
Anyone got any coaches they recommend in the Nottingham area? Or general advice for someone new to the game.

Picked up a 2nd hand set to see if I enjoy it, been down the range a few times now and having a great time so want to get some lessons in early so I can avoid picking up any bad habits.

Soldato
Going to take me a bit to get over todays round.... Feel a bit sick.... :(:(

Cruising on front 9 - One over.... Par on 10, to still be only +1 (playing off 10)

Didn't think about my score, didn't start get uptight/nervous - no idea what happened. Bogied the next 5, still ok.

Then finished triple, par, triple.... So net 73 but doesn't tell the tale of the round....

Felt a bit sick at the end - could have been net 67/68 easy

Associate
So a belated update.

Had my first round as a member at my new club. Everyone seemed friendly and welcoming which is always a good start.

As for the golf it was a mixed bag. On the front 9 the driver wasn't working as per usual and It took a little adjustment getting used to speed of the greens resulting in a few too many 3 putts. However i kept the score down with a couple of pars and a chance of breaking 100 which would be a good result for me. Back 9 was a different story, putting was more consistent but a couple of blow up holes really killed a chance of a good score.

Since then played 2 more rounds however I've been struggling to hit the irons killing any chance of a decent score.

Need some practice time at the range when time allows.

Soldato
Small little review of the Cobra LTDx v Taylormade Sim2 Max Hybrid.

First off looks.

Address:
At address for me the matt black really makes a difference to focusing on the ball. There is little to no glare from daylight/sun so nothing distracts you at address.
Only real thing I noticed. Whilst both clubs here are 19deg the Cobra appears to have more loft. For me this gives me slightly more confidence knowing I'm going to be able to launch this down the fairway.

glf1Wmm.jpg

Face:
Whilst Taylormade has the trusted twist face, Cobra have developed their hot face.
I was surprised to say, the feel you get through the Cobra is brilliant. You do actually feel the ball springing off the face on impact.
Also, you may notice the profile of the face.
Taylormade appears more rounded whilst Cobra has a more shallow face.
Gliding through the range mat both felt equally as nice. I suppose the real test is tomorrow on the course.

hD8oN0w.jpg

Bottom:
Both have a lot going on here and lets be honest. Are we really bothered?
All I will say is. Profile wise, the Cobra appears smaller and more compact.
Whether that's a good thing is unto you but for myself I love it.

8QXfDsl.jpg

Shafts.
With the Ventus Blue 75g in the Taylormade I've always enjoyed this shaft. It's always felt solid.
The new KBS 85g in the Cobra really doesn't feel 10g heavier.
One thing I have noticed is how balanced the Cobra feels only holding it in one hand.
The Taylormade feels heavy at the head where as the Cobra, the weight feels even. It's strange to explain.
If you was holding both you'd think the Taylormade is the heavier of the two.

All in all, both hybrids are off the shelf and both are brilliant. I've loved using the Taylormade but I have to say how surprised I am in these new Cobras.
Having never hit one before I'm gaining 15 yards on both the 4H and 3H. This is purely from stock off the shelf shafts.
I was never fitted for the Taylormade but I have for the Cobra and their off the shelf shaft was right for me.

Also on a side note. I found my spin for the Taylormade to be around 4000. Where as the Cobra I'm hitting 3200. This is where the distance and accuracy is coming from.
I think I've turned into an LTDx fanboy as these are seriously some great pieces of kit

Associate
sounds like your game is coming along nicely Mark. keep it up dude
Thank you sir.

For your hybrids, there's so much tech in them these days, it's insane.
I've watched a load of youtube content, where some hybrids have less loft, but launch higher than others with more loft due to the centre of gravity of where their weights are put in the head. As well as the speed pockets they add, tends to make them fly further.
No longer can you just go and pick one off the shelf and just look at club length, loft and weight, you literally HAVE to test each one out nowadays.

I do love the look of the Cobra's though, my sim2's look a bit pants after using them for so long. I feel a need to change lol.

I have a speed lesson coming up in early August with someone who's meant to be a decent course £60/hr, uses a trackman and a few other devices to assist in the training, so looking forward to that.
My skytrak gives me some stats with my 7i that I find a little crazy. I'll see if they're wrong when I go to my lesson.

75mph swing, 107mph ball speed with a 21 degree launch angle. Launch angle is coming out super high IMO, should be more like 17. Distance is coming through at about 145.

Comparing these to pros on youtube using trackman, who have slowed their swings down to 75mph, hitting the same sim2 max irons, are coming out with similar ball speed, much lower ball flight and an extra 30 yards on me.
I'm wondering if my shafts are launching my ball too high - I'll check it out in 2 weeks.

Soldato
Shot my best today with an 82 (play off 19), played great but the main difference today from my normal round was that my putting was just on fire, everything within 8ft felt like it was going in.
Slashed handicap incoming...Nice play.

Saying that, you'd not be allowed out alive from my place with a net 63.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Soldato
75mph swing, 107mph ball speed with a 21 degree launch angle. Launch angle is coming out super high IMO, should be more like 17. Distance is coming through at about 145.
Nothing major there - I'm around 90mph club/120mph ball, launch 17ish - carry 160/165

So your numbers are around where I would expect - Remember your Sim Max2 Irons are designed to get the ball in the air, lots of weight around the bottom of the clubhead.... That's the point of those type of irons.

I wouldn't worry about those numbers at all.

Associate
Nothing major there - I'm around 90mph club/120mph ball, launch 17ish - carry 160/165

So your numbers are around where I would expect - Remember your Sim Max2 Irons are designed to get the ball in the air, lots of weight around the bottom of the clubhead.... That's the point of those type of irons.

I wouldn't worry about those numbers at all.

The reason I'm concerned, is that with others that report similar speeds, with the same club, produce vastly different distances.
As I'm a super technical person, I like to break these things down methodically.

It can only be:
1. My ability to deliver the club to the ball correctly, is causing a high launch and reducing distance.
2. My shaft is causing the high launch angle.
3. My skytrak is way off or not correctly calibrated. (don't think its this, as my distances match my course GPS distances)

If it's 1, then I can learn to resolve this - great. It'll just take time to change swing.
If it's 2, then I can change shafts - great. Just expensive. :)
Don't think it's really 3.

See a youtuber result for their same club, 7i, producing same swing speed as me:

Ie4aQAB.jpg

Soldato
That picture above is NOT a true reflection at all of a well struck 7 iron.

He's "thinned" that - just look at the spin numbers - 3700 for a 7 iron ... Should be in the 6-7k range.... So due to the "thinned" spin numbers it's travelled further.... Also the 17 yard roll out is another sign it's been thinned.... (or certainly hit a few grooves low)

Soldato
As @booyaka has said that's a massive thinned shot. You only have to see the roll out, landing angle and height to know it's not a good 7i strike. don't be fooled by some YouTube videos.
When I was being fitted my 7i spin was averaging over 8k rpm. Hence why I was loosing distance.
With a proper fitment I'm now averaging 6400rpm and averaging 170/175yards.

Was you fitted for your clubs?

Associate
All well and good getting extensively fitted for clubs now but if you are also taking lessons which could potentially dramatically change your swing (particularly if you are a mid to high handicapper) then you may find those fitted clubs might as well be a set straight off the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom