Golf Thread

Soldato
I played a round this morning, my 4th time playing 18.

Really struggling with my strike. I have been having lessons and on a mat at a range i have been striping it, getting great contact, distance and shape but on grass I just fall apart.

I just keep topping the ball mainly and its ruining my score. On the range I can hit a nice smooth 7i for 140yrds but on the course its taking me 2 or 3 shots, its driving me nuts.

Is there anything I can do other than just play more rounds. All of my confidence and great golf seemingly disappear when I leave the range.

I think it really is just just keep playing more rounds...

The range simply can't replicate the full array of lies you get on the course, even a grass range is going to be largely flat but that's still better than a mat.

Last edited:
Associate
Managed to get a full 18 in yesterday, tee boxes were all trimmed up although we are still on winter mats, fairways were cut, greens were cut and top dressed. It's so close to being perfect again! Give it a month, hopefully.

Soldato
Out for the society game today, bit of drizzle alternating with decent warm sunshine, course was a bit wetter than expected and 5th-7th were still closed so not worked out my overall score yet (if even can when doubling up 3 holes :p) but got 37 stableford over the round so that's not terrible, winner got 40 and 2nd got 39. But keeps me top of the table with my previous 2x 38's for the year.

They run a joker system where you declare that before the round and then it counts for double (so 8 best scores + joker is your overall score), was quite tempted to do so even after Friday but quite glad I didn't. They run their own handicap setup though and it's lagging behind my EG one so definitely need to do my joker soon... Maybe next month :)

Soldato

The range simply can't replicate the full array of lies you get on the course, even a grass range is going to be largely flat but that's still better than a mat.
I think I am going to try get on the different bays at the range as well. There are some that have fake grass rather than just a completely flat mat like what I usually have.

Associate

It really is this. You just have to change you're routine and get more rounds in you so you alter your headspace to accept that as the new 'normal'.

I've got a really crappy course near me I play often as it's always empty, poorly maintained and cheap as anything. You almost never get a good lie and because of the way the course is designed you HAVE to play safe and lay up to keep your ball playable. I force myself to play a two ball round solo there at least once a month to reinforce good habits with regards assessing/playing crappy lies. The 'easy' shot in golf is one you'll only get a handful of times as an amateur and that's only if you earn it. Most of the shots we play will be from poor lies. You need to get used to playing them.

Last edited:
Soldato
It really is this. You just have to change you're routine and get more rounds in you so you alter your headspace to accept that as the new 'normal'.

I've got a really crappy course near me I play often as it's always empty, poorly maintained and cheap as anything. You almost never get a good lie and because of the way the course is designed you HAVE to play safe and lay up to keep your ball playable. I force myself to play a two ball round solo there at least once a month to reinforce good habits with regards assessing/playing crappy lies. The 'easy' shot in golf is one you'll only get a handful of times as an amateur and that's only if you earn it. Most of the shots we play will be from poor lies. You need to get used to playing them.
The course I play on isn't great but it is cheap which is why I go there but my dad is convinced that it doesnt help when all your lies are all over the place and so on. I know that the alternative view is that if you can master a field of a course then you could go to Augusta and hit zingers but I am going to look for a different course next couple weeks and see how it goes.

I went to the range today, a different place to where I normally go and I don't think I have ever hit the ball as well as I have. Driving, irons and short game was dialled in. It was a trackman range so played a virtual round and I left a very happy golfer. Of course playing off the perfect lie of a mat is helping me but it was nice to see that I am at least not a complete fool after the round on Saturday

Soldato
Managed to get out for 12 holes yesterday - spitting with rain a little on the 1st, then cleared up. Played really well for once, only 1 double bogey, but a couple of birdies to balance out. Was at +5 after 12 holes - took my average score for the holes that I skipped, to give me a "simulated" score of +10 (80) :eek:. Not 100% reflective I know, but a vaguely good indicator. Done some range work at getting off the tee cleaner which seemed to help - wedges were better too.

Can't wait for Friday when it'll all go to **** again :p

Associate
Week off work allowed me to get out yesterday afternoon. Course was soft but thankfully no fully waterlogged areas. Of course today it's ******* it down and both courses closed, although greens maintenance was taking place on the Cathedral yesterday so doubt it was due to be open today anyway. Forecast for Wed/Thur looks better so hopefully it dries up enough I can get out again. Looking at the long range forecast no dry spells in sight :(

To quote from a recent club update on FB:
Not really sure what to say anymore. I was full hope at the start of February after a dry end to January. We were in really good shape. As we sit here on the 1st March having been forced to close the courses again after more downpours this morning, frustrated doesn't even come close to describing how this winter has been for us all.

We appreciate as members and guests you guys want to go and play golf and we want to give the courses to be able to do that but mother nature keeps having a different idea. 145mm of rain fell in February (the average for February is 61mm). The river has now come over 8 times this winter as we experience the wettest 5 months I have seen in my 24 year greenkeeping career. Relentless is probably the only word I can use to describe it.

I imagine it's a similar story in many areas of the UK.

Soldato
Week off work allowed me to get out yesterday afternoon. Course was soft but thankfully no fully waterlogged areas. Of course today it's ******* it down and both courses closed, although greens maintenance was taking place on the Cathedral yesterday so doubt it was due to be open today anyway. Forecast for Wed/Thur looks better so hopefully it dries up enough I can get out again. Looking at the long range forecast no dry spells in sight :(

To quote from a recent club update on FB:

I imagine it's a similar story in many areas of the UK.

It's been just silly, we've had a dry-ish start to March but it was ******* it down this morning with more due over the weekend. Going to Wales at the weekend to play Aberdovey, Royal St. Davids and Porthmadog, their forecast to get a whole lot of rain Wednesday/Thursday and then showers whilst we're their so meh.

I decided today to go to the range with my GoPro and film my swing, about to look at the footage now, be interesting to see tbh. I was still striking it terribly, well with anything but my hybrid/woods/driver, might just ditch Irons entirely at this point :p

Also entered the club Summer Knockouts (single and pair, latter to be paired up with a random), I quite enjoyed the Winter Greensomes Knockouts so why not :)

And, being super productive today, booked a lesson with a different coach (from/at the local club) for next Thursday, see how that goes, been thinking for a while trying different coaches to see different 'styles'

Associate
I decided today to go to the range with my GoPro and film my swing, about to look at the footage now, be interesting to see tbh. I was still striking it terribly, well with anything but my hybrid/woods/driver, might just ditch Irons entirely at this point :p
Be sure to post on reddit for expert feedback :p

Soldato
One of my friends does, it's not bad but certainly not amazing.

Yeah, that's kinda what put me off but then what are the options, renting a simulator is way more expensive than just range balls, a GCQuad is somewhat out of the price range, sure there's the MLM2 Pro and others now but I am 'in' the Garmin eco-system so there is that...

I want more from my practice, especially as my golf journey continues so to speak, but not sure the best way to get that.

I went to the TopTracer range at Chippenham yesterday, it was nice to see the screens/get some better data but no spin makes it a bit meh (although is no spin better than not-exactly-accurate-spin :p) but the worst bit really were the balls were kinda poor, I get that from my local range which is very cheap but 'expected better'.

Soldato
Not swung a club now for about a month. So much rain and cold it's just not been feasible. I've noticed my son lost the drive to get out there as well lately. Really can't wait for spring now.

Back
Top Bottom