Golf Thread

I’ve stopped my irons at 6 for now. Then it’s, 5H, 4H, 5W and driver. Goal is to minimise the suffering.

Took out the long irons and 3W.
I would definitely like to try a 5w and 5h I think, to see how they fit into my current setup and how I am hitting at the minute. I agree on the suffering part!

5H definitely the way forward, mid handicap guy I play with has one in the bag and it's like a cheat code for him, so versatile in different lies and off the tee. He even does knock down shots with it on some par 3s choking down the club and taking the yards and spin off and it still holds on to the green

How long is the horrible wait?
Anyone else bought new clubs recently?
How long was the wait?
Trying to get an average, to set expectations for myself when I order new clubs next week..

How long is the horrible wait?
Anyone else bought new clubs recently?
How long was the wait?
Trying to get an average, to set expectations for myself when I order new clubs next week..
Not that long, to be fair - just me being impatient. He said last night that he knows the 60's aren't in stock right now and that Titleist won't send them until they have all 3 ready. They gave a lead date of the end of March, which very rarely ever increases.

I got fitted for my putter around the same time a couple of years ago. Fitter said a few weeks and it turned up the week after. Irons were about 5 weeks in August/September 2021 after being told 6 weeks minimum.

Finally had a couple knocks lately as course has been shut pretty much for 3 months. I’ve been to the range prior to playing and I hit the ball so well at the range and I get to the course and it’s just tragic, so frustrating. Not helping that the ground is so wet and unforgiving either.
I played it 16hcp last year, my range hcp is like 12 my current course must be 20hcp.
I stink :(

Last edited:
Finally had a couple knocks lately as course has been shut pretty much for 3 months. I’ve been to the range prior to playing and I hit the ball so well at the range and I get to the course and it’s just tragic, so frustrating. Not helping that the ground is so wet and unforgiving either.
I played it 16hcp last year, my range hcp is like 12 my current course must be 20hcp.
I stink :(

Don't get too disheartened. Range golf and course golf might as well be two different sports, especially if the majority of your golf time is spent at a range. It just doesn't translate.

I've found the balance should be 1 range session for every 3 rounds works best. It's important to practice technique, but playing on a course is the only real way to get better. Though when your course has been closed for so long... :(

Last edited:
Testing a few Balls in the sim. I think I have settled on the Bridgestone e9 balls.

Very forgiving, long and also feel decent when struck well. And for around £20 a dozen, good value!

Don't get too disheartened. Range golf and course golf might as well be two different sports, especially if the majority of your golf time is spent at a range. It just doesn't translate.

I've found the balance should be 1 range session for every 3 rounds works best. It's important to practice technique, but playing on a course is the only real way to get better. Though when your course has been closed for so long... :(
Yeah i think i have two issues, one is mental issue and thats last year i developed a bit of the dreaded hosel rocket, and on course if i hit one or close its rent free. When on the range i rarely ever hit one and my strike is much more centered. The second issue i have is alignment, which probably contributes to point one but on the range the ball and feet are in the same set up every time meaning consistent(ish) strikes.

Yeah i think i have two issues, one is mental issue and thats last year i developed a bit of the dreaded hosel rocket, and on course if i hit one or close its rent free. When on the range i rarely ever hit one and my strike is much more centered. The second issue i have is alignment, which probably contributes to point one but on the range the ball and feet are in the same set up every time meaning consistent(ish) strikes.

I think a lot of people struggle with on course alignment after being on the range for a while, I know I did. My teacher came up with a few tips that really helped.

1. NEVER square up to the mat. Get a club or alignment stick and position yourself off center every time. There are no straight lines on a golf course so don't give yourself that luxury on the range.

2. Feeding into the first one, never pick a target that's straight in front of you. Align yourself to a target at least 20 yards left or right of where your booth is positioned.

3. Don't pick a target more then 150 yards away. Picking targets far away can mess up you're perspective of the ball flights, not too mention have you go to hard at the ball.

4. (edit) on the course when picking a line, use you club to line the ball up to the target and pick a point on that line no more then 10 feet in front of you to aim your club face at. Align your feet so they sit square to the target, NEVER at it.

As to the shanks, we've all been there pal. If it's something that's really eating at you then go see a teacher and talk about course management or mentality. A lot of people have this tragic fear of talking course mentality with teachers, but any coach worth there salt will be able to give you sound advise and take you for an on course lesson.

Last edited:
I really wanted to get some SM10's but I got an amazing offer from a mate who won some Jaws Raw in black, built to my specs 50 S grind 10 Bounce, 54 S grind 10 Bounce, 58 Z 8 Bounce grind (I had to let him know what I wanted) for £230.

I absolutely love my SM9's. Got them back in 2022 in Jet Black and worried about them wearing but to be honest there heavily used and still in very good condition.

Got a bit of good news from the Tax Man today so I've treated myself to a new carry back:

temp-Imageb-QHGt5.avif

I think I might match it up with the cart bag too for the summer when I stop carrying.

Last edited:
I absolutely love my SM9's. Got them back in 2022 in Jet Black and worried about them wearing but to be honest there heavily used and still in very good condition.

Got a bit of good news from the Tax Man today so I've treated myself to a new carry back:

temp-Imageb-QHGt5.avif

I think I might match it up with the cart bag too for the summer when I stop carrying.
Great colour looks really good. Bags do seem to be getting ever more expensive lately.

Took my new 2nd hand clubs to the range yesterday, I purchased 100 balls. Still relatively happy with my swing using irons, after many years away from the game. Trying to determine the distance I hitting was hard, due hitting into the on coming wind. Still plenty room for improvement.

Down to my last 20 balls, I decided to try out the driver I purchased last weekend. After a few practices swings, I teed one up and was happy I managed to hit it first time with no issues. Not a massive hit distance wise, but was happy at the time.

But every shot after that was absolute rubbish, missed plenty, a lot of grass cutters or very low. Could see on the club face that most of contacts were towards the bottom half of the face. Definitely going to inquire about some lessons next time I am there and plenty more practice needed.

Now keeping an eye out for some wedges, as I only have a PW at the moment. Last time I played consistently my short game was pretty good. What wedges to go for, thinking a 50/54/58. Will have to wait till I get payed at the end of the month same as my lessons.

Last edited:
10 holes this morning - cold, windy and slow. Just me and mate so decided after 10 that was enough for the day.

Got to hit new wedges at least.... Fresh grooved Vokeys - need to remember they spin a lot despite early season greens... Ball was one bounce and stopping very quick....

Anyway - First proper comp of the year next week already... Game feels very "loose" at the moment so lets hope things improve soon with some more regular golf....

Played the usual game yesterday, course was a million times better after a mostly-dry week for a change, still a few muddy bits but compared to where it was...

The game on the other hand :p Kinda played terribly, especially in the front 9. Had 2x 4-putts back to back on the 4th/5th, never a good time.

It wasn't just the putting that was terrible though, it felt like I was weirdly just a bit 'off' with timing/sequencing of the swing, did connect nicely with a few but 'most' of the shots were just poor, thin, toe-y, heel-y, fat, topped just any/everything other than the middle of the clubface :p

Still, scored 99 so broke 100, wasn't that long ago I was strugging to break 100 and now I get it with a terrible round so there's that.

Plus I didn't lose a ball \o/

Got my society game tomorrow which should be good if maybe a little rainy and then next weekend I'll be in Wales playing Aberdovy, Royal St. Davids and Porthmadog. Looking forward to that :D

I played a round this morning, my 4th time playing 18.

Really struggling with my strike. I have been having lessons and on a mat at a range i have been striping it, getting great contact, distance and shape but on grass I just fall apart.

I just keep topping the ball mainly and its ruining my score. On the range I can hit a nice smooth 7i for 140yrds but on the course its taking me 2 or 3 shots, its driving me nuts.

Is there anything I can do other than just play more rounds. All of my confidence and great golf seemingly disappear when I leave the range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom