Golf Thread

Associate
Nicely done. That's a very compact course, I note a couple of the tee's had you going off over the proceeding green! A lot of par 3's and I bet that tree on the 5th is annoying, unless you have the length to drive straight over it.
Very good eyes you have. 6 par3's in total.

There's a few holes where you have to wait for players to tee off before walking up to the green, a little frustrating at times, but it's never very long - never a problem when its summer, you're usually happy to wait, soak up the sun and have a breather from all the hills :p

The 5th hole is a nightmare, the tree is about ~210y away, uphill, so no chance of clearing it over the top, I regularly land it just right of the tree, or left... rarely hit the thing, unless I've struck it very well - which has started happening more recently - a lot of times, go for a low-ish drive and it'll roll up the fairway beyond the tree, leaving something like a gap wedge in. One of my most hated holes on the course :)

The 12th is ridiculous though, dog-leg left par4: About ~160y to the corner, then ~220y to the pin from there. Or if you're crazy, hit a high drive over the corner trees, leaving you with a more reasonable 130-150y shot in (high risk, medium reward).
I tend to play it as a par5, ~160y, ~140y, ~100y, something like that. Then again, the green is narrow front-to-back, so still not easy. Rumours are its the hardest par4 in Wales, but those are just rumours lol.

Soldato
Thanks to @MR_Punk I went to my first "FORE Business" networking thing yesterday at Cumberwell Park, the networking side was kinda interesting being my first time, but then onto the golf :D

Played Cumberwell Park a few times so nothing new playing the Orange and Blue courses, but first time playing in that order, they've got 5 9-hole courses (+ a par 3 9 hole) and you essentially mix and match to get an 18 hole round, quite like the idea.

Played ok in general, my Driver was utter trash but the 3 wood came in clutch really, even then though with really thick rough and some water I lost so many balls/was 3 off the tee far too often, but then seemed to play well. For example first hole of the Blue course, my 10th of the day, is a downhill dogleg right par 5, I was 3 off the tee but got 7, so excluding that first tee shot I was basically playing to par, if only we got mulligans... :cry:

Gonna head to the range in a bit both to practice the drill from my last lesson but also gonna give the driver some work/hits to try and get it back somewhere approaching usable...

Playing Woodlands tomorrow which is massively wide open fairways so it'll be fine but still.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought some new old clubs today, ebay specials. Titleist 716 Ap2's, they very easy to strike compared to my old Mizunos. Feel buttery and forgiving compared to the muscle backs.
Took them out for 9 holes today and I love them. Go a tiny bit further than I'm used to so might have to do some new gaping.

Soldato
Thanks to @MR_Punk I went to my first "FORE Business" networking thing yesterday at Cumberwell Park, the networking side was kinda interesting being my first time, but then onto the golf :D

Played Cumberwell Park a few times so nothing new playing the Orange and Blue courses, but first time playing in that order, they've got 5 9-hole courses (+ a par 3 9 hole) and you essentially mix and match to get an 18 hole round, quite like the idea.

Played ok in general, my Driver was utter trash but the 3 wood came in clutch really, even then though with really thick rough and some water I lost so many balls/was 3 off the tee far too often, but then seemed to play well. For example first hole of the Blue course, my 10th of the day, is a downhill dogleg right par 5, I was 3 off the tee but got 7, so excluding that first tee shot I was basically playing to par, if only we got mulligans... :cry:

Gonna head to the range in a bit both to practice the drill from my last lesson but also gonna give the driver some work/hits to try and get it back somewhere approaching usable...

Playing Woodlands tomorrow which is massively wide open fairways so it'll be fine but still.
Glad you enjoyed it. How many did you have attend?

Associate
Managed to play 9 holes today, was a challenging 9 holes scored 57, no penalty points and I didn’t lose any balls. What made me laugh after buying 36 off slice.com the other week. Both my friends scored just over 70, they both started last year and I started again after 20 years away from the game this year. So we are similar skill level, biggest difference is that I have been having lessons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Played the usual games yesterday, first was 18 holes at Woodlands then the 9-hole roll-up at Whitley. Played pretty solidly overall but just felt like I struggled to link things together if that makes sense? On one hole I had a great drive to only chunk my approach and thin a chip to end up with a bogey. But on another hole I chipped in, so not like I was thinning all my chips or unable to hit irons or anything.

First hole at Woodlands was amusing, very solid drive and then decided to lay up with an 8 Iron, hit a nice one but as I drove up (buggy life ftw) it was quite a bit closer to the ditch infront of the green than I'd expected. Checking Garmin afterwards and it was a 186 yard 8 Iron. Summer is here lads :D

Hit my fairway woods kinda surprisingly well as well, I'd gone to the range on Thursday to practice both the drill for my path issues but also my driver being a bit wayward and didn't touch my woods then yesterday I was hitting some bombs with them, not complaining obviously :p Driver was 'ok' felt like I had to manage the face a bit more than I'd like, e.g. it wasn't automatic and if I didn't 'try' to close the face it was a definite strong fade, still more work needed.

Decided at the roll up to book a playing lesson with the pro there for Monday, I kinda have no idea what to expect from a playing lesson but wanted to try one for a while so why not :p

Associate
Into the 3rd round of the 1v1 tournament at my club.
1st round was against a 12hcap, he had to give me 5 shots. Won that on the 17th
2nd round was against a 21hcap, i had to give him 5 shots. Won that on the 14th.
3rd round to be drawn by end of the month.

Into the 3rd round of 2v2 comp last night (alternate shot)
1st round was a buy, due to the amount of players involved, some had buys, some didn't.
2nd round was last night, had to give the team 5 shots,
Won it by the 12th, when they conceded.

Into the 2nd round of another 2v2 comp (4BBB)
1st round was against a 9 and 15hcap, got through on the 17th there too, close game, but I was on fire and was making everything.

Swing has come into a good place this last few weeks, ready for club championship weekend today and tomorrow.
Although, feeling a bit drained after the amount played recently, including a couple of practice rounds in between.

Associate
First hole at Woodlands was amusing, very solid drive and then decided to lay up with an 8 Iron, hit a nice one but as I drove up (buggy life ftw) it was quite a bit closer to the ditch infront of the green than I'd expected. Checking Garmin afterwards and it was a 186 yard 8 Iron. Summer is here lads :D
Affirm. Hit a few 190y 5i's this past week, 150ish carry and the rest roll out :p

The golf God's giveth and the golf God's taketh. Couldn't hit driver to save my life today, everything going righty slicey. No idea what was going on, hopefully a one off. Thankfully 5i somewhat saved me. Shot 91 from the whites on the easier course. Would have been much better but for taking three shots to get out of the bunker on fourteen and then losing my drive off the fithteenth and having to take my provisional.

Last edited:
Soldato
Slayley Hall Fri/Sat there.

Hunting Course - Nice course, quick greens but a bit bumpy/mossy in places, plays around 6500 yards off the whites. A lot of walking.... nearly 5 hour round walking..... Windy, cold and some rain around the 10th. Tough track....

Priestman course Saturday - Took buggies! Again as above - long course, 6500 yards, some weird quirky holes... Again greens not bad, quick but patchy. Very windy, cold again.

Courses obviously struggle with water at times - you can see where some of it still sits.

LOTS of holes setup for draw bias players (i.e NOT me!!!) - I played very poorly - really all at sea currently with my game, struggling to find a swing at the moment..... Got 48 hours to try and find something before I start Club Champs Knockout on Tuesday night..... Feeling low about my game at the moment for the first time in 2 or 3 years.....

Can't believe that between us all in June we had 3 layers on and woolly hats etc. Was very cold.....

Hotel was nice, food was decent and for £180 all in for 2 rounds of golf, dinner and breakfast - good value.

Buggies are a must unless you really want a walk/exercise - if you do you will be 5 hours as there is a fair bit of distance between some of the previous greens/next tees.

Soldato
Society game today at Shrivenham, another really scruffy example, not a single par (or better), bunch of bogies and some stuff not worth mentioning :p

Course was hard today, literally, loads of bounce and roll but also the greens were just like concrete, no chance of getting anything to stop.

I've played there a bunch really now but still feel like I'm not fully comfortable there, does that make sense? I've played both Whitley and Woodlands Signature a whole bunch of times and it just feels so familiar and comfortable that it seems to make it play that much easier...

Soldato
I tried golf after watching the Masters this year and oh boy have I feel completely in to it :D Incredible how hitting a tiny white ball can bring so much joy and pain.

Does anyone have a specific YouTube coach they would recommend? I'm guessing it's better to stick to one and learn their "way" rather than jump between loads?

Ideally I want to get some actual lessons but everyone in my area seems fully booked ATM.

Associate
I tried golf after watching the Masters this year and oh boy have I feel completely in to it :D Incredible how hitting a tiny white ball can bring so much joy and pain.

Does anyone have a specific YouTube coach they would recommend? I'm guessing it's better to stick to one and learn their "way" rather than jump between loads?

Ideally I want to get some actual lessons but everyone in my area seems fully booked ATM.
Every YouTuber does it different and contradict each other so you're better just finding your swing on your own at the range for now and get lessons.

Soldato

Don't do the Youtube thing....honestly you'll be all over the place...

Just book up some lessons when you get a chance.....

Soldato
Every YouTuber does it different and contradict each other so you're better just finding your swing on your own at the range for now and get lessons.
Yeah, I did notice even from just watching the basics when it comes to things like setup everyone said something different :D

Just trying to get to the point where its not embarrassing while I try to find some lessons. I'm worried about forming some bad habits if I practice too much before instruction.

Soldato
Yeah, I did notice even from just watching the basics when it comes to things like setup everyone said something different :D

Just trying to get to the point where its not embarrassing while I try to find some lessons. I'm worried about forming some bad habits if I practice too much before instruction.

Agree with the above about not going down the YT rabbit hole, however for a very new beginner there might be some useful stuff out there. Did a quick search through Peter Finch's 'Swing Quest' channel and found this playlist:

Beginner Playlist

It's just two very short videos on the absolute basics, like how to hold the club. That's more than enough I think to get started imo

As for bad habits, sure there might be a few but if you get lessons after say 6 months (think that's about how long I waited) they're not really gonna be fully ingrained at that point. It's not like playing for 20 years without lessons and then trying to fix something you've been doing 'wrong' for decades :p

Back
Top Bottom