Golf Thread

Soldato
Do any of you use rangefinders? If so, what ones would you recommend? Wanting to try and keep it around the £200ish mark and AG have a sale on...

Got some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and been considering one for a few months so seems like as good an excuse as any. I've got Golf Pad on my watch but it would be helpful to have something to zap parts of the course for hazards/laying up, and so on.

Need to get it bought soon before the temptation to add to the tattoo collection overtakes it...

AOFAR GX-2S Golf Rangefinder Flag-Lock

Amazon - £75.

Can't fault it.... up to 200 yards it was within 2 yards of a mates £500 bushnell... and about 4 yards up to 250...

Accurate enough for my game!

Soldato
I have seemingly fixed my horrible driver slice, slowing down my backswing and gripping down maybe half an inch. Losing a bit of distance but they are now consistently straight. This was all done at the range so keen to get on a course to try it also.
Scrap that, still there lol. Back to the drawing board!

Associate
Club championships this weekend 2 day event. Of course the other half has a sleepless night so decides to wake me up with the blinding light of an iPad. Been up since 0300, Tee off at 0858.

Had a lesson the other day, first one this year as a tune up. Left hand was too strong (right handed golfer) so weakened that off a bit and the overdraws have all but gone unless I catch it out the toe. All in all can't say I feel the most confident I've ever felt but hey, will find out in a few hours.

Associate
Brutal out there this morning! So windy and with rain on the front nine impossible to keep gloves, hands dry. Shanked several which I'm putting down to the club slipping in hand. Lost track of the number of times my trolley got blown over, eventually learned to park it facing into the wind :p

Dried out back nine but hard to keep a stance at times. Suffice to say many balls lost and high scoring. One of my playing partners did well scoring 30 pts to be joint top of div 2. 32 pts saw three players atop div 1. Think that's the lowest stableford scoring I've ever seen!

Edit: Round now up on MyEG. Six bogey's, the rest worse including several caps for a 109 gross.

Last edited:
Associate
Came in 4 shots off the lead, 88 for 74. With an 8 on our 17th, Par 4, lost 2 balls :eek:. Was feeling tired at that point and the swing started to fall off. Still, leads me in contention to attack the course tomorrow. Hopefully after a full nights sleep!

Soldato
Just got back from an impromptu Saturday round, brought up in the group chat about maybe doing two rounds tomorrow as the weather looks nice and someone mentioned playing Shrivenham so why not :p

It was super windy, and for some reason the greens were insanely fast for Shrivenham, struggled a lot. Also after going to the short game group lesson yesterday morning I of course couldn't chip to save my life today :cry:

All told one to forget, I did manage to save my playing partner 6+ shots by finding his stray tee shots though, he beat me by 7. Note to self... :p

Soldato
Played my local 9 hole today. Shot 45, over the moon in all honesty. Definitely the best I have ever hit the ball on the course.

Sad about the double and treble bogey but didn't let it get to me and recovered to play very respectable golf after.

This is the scorecard for reference;

On the 8th and 9th in particular something clicked with my driver and I hit a 229 and 189 respectively, the 9th with a 189 was nice because there was 220yrd (ish) hazard I didn't want to hit so tried to just hit a good placement and then fired in a great PW after.

Note the 46 club isn't a 46deg wedge, its my chipr but Shotscope doesn't recognise this as its own club!

Soldato
Have been struggling with my driver lately. Confidence with it has dropped and at times I haven't been using it and opting for my 3 wood.

Then on Wednesday night I checked out Titleist sure fit page to see if I could change anything. I was reluctant too due to being fitted but I guess everyone's swing changes slightly.
So my TSR3 is set at B1 and with the weighting natural.

I have then changed my club to A1 and moved my weight to H1 (Heel 1) and it gives me the feeling I can get my release right and square up the club face more on impact.

Played Friday morning and the results. WOW. Confidence through the roof and gained easily 30+ yards. My playing partner even said "I've never seen you hit it so far.". I was out driving him by 30 to 40 yards.

Lets hope this continues through the summer

4f1dVbv.jpg

MjNnr9R.jpeg

Soldato
Do any of you use rangefinders? If so, what ones would you recommend? Wanting to try and keep it around the £200ish mark and AG have a sale on...

Got some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and been considering one for a few months so seems like as good an excuse as any. I've got Golf Pad on my watch but it would be helpful to have something to zap parts of the course for hazards/laying up, and so on.

Need to get it bought soon before the temptation to add to the tattoo collection overtakes it...
Milesey from Amazon, I’ve also compared it to a bushnell and it’s spot on with lock on, vibrations, magnet and rechargeable

Soldato
Played 36 holes today, first time ever although I've played 27 a few times. All in a buggy though, sod walking that much :p

Started out super hot, +1 through 6, then it kinda fell apart for a +23 overall, not terrible for me but not great and after that start it was awful.

Then out on the other course there for the secound round, started a bit slow but steady then on the back 9 really played well, right until the last hole where it all went wrong :p Pickup/cap but got an +18 overall, tied my best round on that course, good times :)

Played day 2 of club champs today, 82 net 68. Won overall by 1 shot! Still hasn't sank in yet. 88 (74) and 82 (68) for a 142 total.

That's really impressive, congrats :)

Back
Top Bottom