Golf Thread

Had my free fitting Wednesday afternoon as planned :)

Got to the range half an hour or so before my slot which was perfect by the time I'd done some stretching and warmed up with a few balls. The club had reserved a few bays for the fitting one of which was available for the next person up and had a free supply of balls that was being topped up by George, the pro shop manager, who was overseeing things. The fitter was a very friendly chap from TaylorMade who had the usual stash of heads and shafts for their entire product line. We had a brief chat about what I'd come to look at, irons, and then it was time to start hitting some balls.

As expected I was quite nervous to start with, I'm the same when having a lesson, even though I've no doubt they'll have seen far worse swings in their time then mine. Wasn't hitting my own 7i great it has to be said but I'd been down the day before to check my numbers on Trackman (155y carry/15.5 launch - ball normalisation on - on my best shots) so I had a baseline to work from. Of course the fitting was using a GC Quad which was giving actual carry numbers so a little conversion was required. According to George the one piece golf balls they use on the range have a ~15% reduction in distance when compared to a 'normal' golf ball. The ball normalisation on Trackman range system is to a ProV1.

The first thing the fitter picked up on was my low launch and my heart sunk a little as he pulled out a QI head for me to test first, going from one game improvement iron to another was not what I was looking for. Tried this with a couple of different shafts but still wasn't hitting it great. I then got a 5 hybrid to test, urgh... I just can't get on with seeing that much loft on that style of club head and it didn't take me long to confirm this wasn't for me. At this point I asked if I could try the P790. Instantly much more more pleasing to the eye and this must have had a positive effect on me as after a couple of swings to adjust I finally started to hit some golf shots! Launch angle was still a concern though so after a quick adjustment I now had a head with a weakened loft. After finding the right shaft, I think I ended up with one slightly lighter than standard and 3/4" longer, and getting the correct lie angle, standard in this case compared to my own irons which from memory are 2deg upright I really got into a groove. Launch was still low at around 16.5-17 degrees, it seems I've become adept a closing the club face on impact, but I was consistently carrying around 136/137y with my best shots at 140y. Now if you work back on the 15% reduction for range balls this indicates an actual carry of around 162-164y which frankly seems to good to be true as I know I don't have high club speed :confused: Unfortunately I didn't have any raw numbers for my own 7i to compare like for like, I wasn't paying attention to the numbers at the start of the fitting given how I was hitting it and completely forgot at the end that it would have been a good idea to go back to it now I was swinging well. Plan on going to the range this evening and testing to find out, if it ever stops raining (would like to test in similar conditions, the range is covered)!

Having established that P790 was looking good it was then a question of what was the lowest iron I could have in the bag before moving into something else. Tried the 4i which confirmed I didn't have the requisite club speed, delivery characteristics to play it. Given I'd already discounted the 5H I was given a QI10 7w to try. Even on this I found the amount of visible loft (21 deg) when looking down at address a little off putting but in terms of results hard to argue. Was seeing 160y carry on the Quad which did raise some questions in my mind about gapping but I felt I was probably swinging a little more tentatively than with the irons so probably left some distance on the matt. After that my 45 minutes was pretty much up so we left it there.

Managed to find the OEM specs of my current irons (Sim Max/Sim Max OS) yesterday when I stumbled across TaylorMade's Custom Component Book, a quick google for this with the year of my clubs brought it up. I was most interested in checking the offset given the draw I've developed over this season which can be very pronounced at times. My irons have pretty much double the offset club for club when compared to the P790's! There's a few holes on my local course where I'm prone to hitting a big draw so this could certainly help if I went ahead and purchased.

So reflecting back on the fitting and trying not to rush into an immediate purchase a few questions and thoughts come to mind.
1) Were the potential distance gains too good to be true - going back to the range to do some verification this evening.
2) My ball flight is evidently a bit of a low bullet, should I be looking for a brand agnostic fitting to see if there is something out there that can help with a better launch and get me that steeper land angle/more control. Distance isn't everything.
3) Gapping, kicking myself for not thinking to ask the fitter if they had a PW I could test so see where this would sit relative to my wedges.

Usually in my experience with any fitting they wont have anything bar a 7 iron head to fit with so you don't have to kick yourself about that.

Sounds like the fitter did you good though, P790's are incredible irons.

There's no 15% reduction from a modern range ball. Not sure where that came from.

*snip*

Maybe 5% at best on a 7iron
Our range balls at both our course and the local range are 85% balls. 1 piece. It totally depends on the ball and how much the venues want to spend.

Last edited:
Got to the range and confirmed my suspicions, no miracles here :p Got one out to 140y early on, although it was a touch pulley, and numerous others at 135y+. So the P790's no longer in absolute terms but hitting my own irons again did confirm some other things for me.

I really liked how the P790 sat behind the ball with the different lie angle, just natural to take my stance and have it sitting flat. Going back to mine it was noticeable how the toe wanted to sit up.

The overall look and bag appeal is really strong, I much prefer the slimmer profile and reduced off set. Definitely think this was helping me to hit it more consistently, straighter and lessen the draw (in combination with the lie angle).

Checking the launch angle my irons were consistently a degree or two lower. I'm evidently going to suffer with this without any swing changes. Checked my 9i (38° loft) and even there I was only at 23°.

Decisions, decisions.....

Last edited:
Wasn't a great round in the monthly medal for me today. 93, didn't even lose a ball. My excuse was my shocking putting today! Left so many short or got miffed off and didn't pay attention to 2 footers. The greens were bad though, wet and just been cut as well as the fact they had just been prepared for maintenance next week so they had been scarified. So you'd hit a straight putt and the lines bounced the ball off line. Or at least that's how it felt.

Another round of 91 today, that's four of my last five rounds (and the other was a 90 from the yellows which are par 71 instead of 72 from the whites)! Really frustrating as I had a good mistake free front nine (43) with nothing worse than bogey. Back nine is normally where the score is made but I came back in 48 with six bogeys and three doubles. Swing went AWOL on 15/16/17, and I had three or four putts which didn't take the break and burnt the edge of the cup. Really should have been six shots better at least. Ended up +3 net, 7th of 20 in my division.

Round will be a counter though so another 0.1 off the handicap. Will be very close to 17.0 come tomorrow.

Last edited:
No golf today - but big team match tomorrow - Local rivals match...

Loosing capitain has to go to the other clubs dinner and present the trophy to them... You don't want to be on the loosing side.

Weather looks excellent.

Played yesterday at the local club in a Bowmakers comp (3 person team, best 2 stableford scores count). I was a bit concerned about the course as we had some torrential rain Friday night (and more earlier in the week) but it's holding up really which was nice. Carried 18 for the 2nd time recently, trying to do it more but don't want to push the elbow too much.

Overall we did ok as a team but on the 9th hole both times around all three of us managed to mess up and get a team score of 0, never good :p Also on the 13th we got a total of 2. Came in with 73, not last but 10+ points shy of a good score it seems. Still fun times.

I was playing solidly though, even with those 0 point holes my adjusted gross is 88 for my best ever round around that course. 31 putts helped! So put in a card for that which will definitely count.

Then out today for the normal golf, downside being after golf yesterday I attended a birthday bash and spent ~3 hours standing then today before even starting my feet were sore, by around the 6th hole they were definitely getting painful and by the end it was pretty bad tbh. Lack of sleep and painful feet doesn't help me score well... Actually got 94 which a few months would've been fine but just messy, some great shots, some good holes even, but overall just not good enough for where I am now.

So at my clubs pro shop has sat a lovely Titleist Premium Cart StaDry Golf Bag which I fell in love with but unfortunately it doesn't fit my current straps on my Powerkaddy CT6 trolly. Gutted.

Fast forward a few weeks and I walk in to see the new 2024 M5 GPS Motocaddy trolly with said Titleist bag attached looking spectacular. I was drooling at the mouth to get it but clearlyout of my price bracket.

But not for the GF it seems :eek:
I get a message today saying she's got me a surprise and I can have it Tuesday/Wednesday when she goes to fetch it. Well she's only gone and brought me both :cool:
Love new toys to play with
dVsmTRi.jpeg

jpTaigu.jpeg

Last edited:
So at my clubs pro shop has sat a lovely Titleist Premium Cart StaDry Golf Bag which I fell in love with but unfortunately it doesn't fit my current straps on my Powerkaddy CT6 trolly. Gutted.

Fast forward a few weeks and I walk in to see the new 2024 M5 GPS Motocaddy trolly with said Titleist bag attached looking spectacular. I was drooling at the mouth to get it but clearlyout of my price bracket.

But not for the GF it seems :eek:
I get a message today saying she's got me a surprise and I can have it Tuesday/Wednesday when she goes to fetch it. Well she's only gone and brought me both :cool:
Love new toys to play with

she's a keeper, and by the sounds of things, so is your girlfriend.... :cry: :cry:

Been on the fence about ditching my trolley and getting a carry bag. One of the wheels on my trolley sheared the bolt attaching it to the trolley last week so used this as an excuse to treat myself to one of these...

Tried to hint to my GF about it but she just told me to **** off...

That's some high end equipment right there!

What I would say for the trolley is, everyone once and awhile, take the wheels off the axel with the little button and oil/replace.
My M7 had it's summer tyres stuck on (on both sides) and I had to send it to a Motocaddy service centre to get them removed and they put a new axel on to replace it, with new wheels.
Been fine since, but fine if you take the wheels off to put it in your car (I don't) as I'm lazy :p

Just played the back 9 this morning at mine, shot 2 over:

The course is doing some drainage work this week, which is almost finished, so I could only do 10-17, then finish on 6 (a loop). Irons, wedges and putting was on point.

Stutt Cup Singles final for me this afternoon.

Giving away 12 shots - front tees...

Done well to get to the final - given away 23 in semi final, 3 in quarter final and 18 in the round before that.....

Would be nice to win some silverware this year.... Will update later on.

That's some high end equipment right there!

What I would say for the trolley is, everyone once and awhile, take the wheels off the axel with the little button and oil/replace.
My M7 had it's summer tyres stuck on (on both sides) and I had to send it to a Motocaddy service centre to get them removed and they put a new axel on to replace it, with new wheels.
Been fine since, but fine if you take the wheels off to put it in your car (I don't) as I'm lazy :p
Cheers fella I shall remember this for future reference :cool:

Back
Top Bottom