Golf Thread

Stutt Cup Singles final for me this afternoon.

Giving away 12 shots - front tees...

Done well to get to the final - given away 23 in semi final, 3 in quarter final and 18 in the round before that.....

Would be nice to win some silverware this year.... Will update later on.
best of luck dude! I expect a champions league style celebration pic later on!

Started getting back into golf again after last playing in 2018 I think!

Played for around 18 months back then, and while I enjoyed it I never practiced enough, but this time around I'm determined to do it properly and practice enough to see proper improvements :D

Played two rounds of 9 in the last few weeks, and hit some nice shots but struggle with a slice like I did before, had a lesson two weeks ago and noticed a change on the range straight away, lots of shots now going nice and straight with a few even going left, so something has changed :cry:

Playing 18 holes a nice local course tomorrow, aiming to try and shoot under 120 (:o), not have more than one blow up hole and lose less than 3 balls, wish me luck! :cry:

Been on the fence about ditching my trolley and getting a carry bag. One of the wheels on my trolley sheared the bolt attaching it to the trolley last week so used this as an excuse to treat myself to one of these...

Tried to hint to my GF about it but she just told me to **** off...

I bought £15 of tickets to one of those awful competitions websites last week for a laugh to win one of these, and won!

Got the Fuse in the Agave colourway, and it is LOUD. Far too loud for my level of golf but I love tequila so suits me well.

It's a real nice bag too, much better than my old £100 Ben Sayers bag I had before!

hulk hogan wrestling GIF by WWE

We the champ!!

2024 Stutt Cup winner 4&3.

Solid golf, nothing spectacular but was 3up at the turn, won 10th to be 4up. he then won 2 of the next 3 shots holes to get it back to 2.

I then stiffed 8 iron to about 3ft on the par 3 14th to win the hole. Then holed a lovely 15ft putt on 15th for a 4 and he missed from about 6ft for his 5 net 4....

Pleased with that - Stutt Cup is a good one to win but a comedically large cup to pick up at the prize giving!!!

Doubles final in 3 weeks time.....

Started getting back into golf again after last playing in 2018 I think!

Played for around 18 months back then, and while I enjoyed it I never practiced enough, but this time around I'm determined to do it properly and practice enough to see proper improvements :D

Played two rounds of 9 in the last few weeks, and hit some nice shots but struggle with a slice like I did before, had a lesson two weeks ago and noticed a change on the range straight away, lots of shots now going nice and straight with a few even going left, so something has changed :cry:

Playing 18 holes a nice local course tomorrow, aiming to try and shoot under 120 (:o), not have more than one blow up hole and lose less than 3 balls, wish me luck! :cry:

I bought £15 of tickets to one of those awful competitions websites last week for a laugh to win one of these, and won!

Got the Fuse in the Agave colourway, and it is LOUD. Far too loud for my level of golf but I love tequila so suits me well.

It's a real nice bag too, much better than my old £100 Ben Sayers bag I had before!
I entered a similar thing last week for one and didn't win so that's good going! Guy who runs them here is great for competitions like this. Traded in my old bag and a couple of old wedges so only cost me £35, can't complain!

There's just something about the colours of them that I love. I was really considering the agave one, as well.

Out for the roll up tonight and put together a pretty impressive 9 holes if I do say so myself :p

Wasn't exactly perfect by any stretch but a bit of luck and making up for the bad shots with good ones.

First 4 holes I was +3, so solid for me but nothing special, then I went birdie and 3 pars straight. So +2 through 8, 22 points stableford, good times.

Then I messed up the last hole, yet again. Really it was just the one shot, my second. The tee shot was ok but a bit fade/slice-y, actually hit a provisional just incase that was lovely, but found the first and it was ok but in some rough, not exactly thick but not exactly first cut either, ended up just not getting the face closed/the rough maybe grabbed a bit and sent it over some internal OB :( Dropped and my next shot was solid leaving ~105 yards in, really nice 48-degree onto the green but first 3 putt of the round for an 8. Meh.

Still, 22 points through 8 holes :p

Gross 40, my best ever there, 19.6 score differential so another cut to my hcp coming, maybe to a 21.8/9 :eek:

hulk hogan wrestling GIF by WWE

We the champ!!

Solid golf, nothing spectacular but was 3up at the turn, won 10th to be 4up. he then won 2 of the next 3 shots holes to get it back to 2.

I then stiffed 8 iron to about 3ft on the par 3 14th to win the hole. Then holed a lovely 15ft putt on 15th for a 4 and he missed from about 6ft for his 5 net 4....

Pleased with that - Stutt Cup is a good one to win but a comedically large cup to pick up at the prize giving!!!

Absolutely brilliant stuff mate. Huge congrats :cool:

We the champ!!

you the man
light the candle
mashed potato

Well done

Had a good round yesterday down to 102. At the time didn’t think it was that good, but i didn’t have any awful shots. Everything was average and in the right direction. Had one shot that went in the river, what probably cost me breaking 100. Still very happy with my progress sense I started playing.

My goals for today were not met :cry::cry::cry:

Shot 133, and lost almost all the balls in my bag haha!

Did hit some really nice iron shots, a couple of nice drives and was really pleased with my putting though!

If I took away all my three off tee's I would have shot under 120 though, so I know now what area of my game needs work.

Had a great day out with friends in some bloody lovely for mid September however, so I'd count it as a good days golfing :D

Last edited:
Bought a £13 UV torch from the rainforest earlier in the week.
Used it tonight in the dark for 15 minutes.
Found 19 golf balls, a fair mix of stuff but around 6 or 7 top tier balls, few medium tier and some practice grade. Already paid for itself.
Went out tonight to the practice area which has rough on either side of it. Was there for about 50 minutes, just going to clean, count and categorise the balls I found tonight, a lot are older types which you'd expect from a practice area, but I reckon I've found around 100.

Going to go around some of the holes later in the week in the dark as that is where the really good balls will be found. Might be able to start playing with Pro V1's.

Did hit some really nice iron shots, a couple of nice drives and was really pleased with my putting though!

If I took away all my three off tee's I would have shot under 120 though, so I know now what area of my game needs work.

Had a great day out with friends in some bloody lovely for mid September however, so I'd count it as a good days golfing :D
All of it? ;)

Last edited:

course management is your friend here, try and go round in level 6's and play each hole accordingly, if you've got a particularly good iron then use that off the tee - even if it's a 7 iron.

Advantage of a 7 iron off the tee is that it can't go as far into the trees as well so if you can keep it in play you should be looking at making level 6's.

I always count my score against level 5's.

Last edited:
All of it? ;)

Savage :(:cry:

course management is your friend here, try and go round in level 6's and play each hole accordingly, if you've got a particularly good iron then use that off the tee - even if it's a 7 iron.

Advantage of a 7 iron off the tee is that it can't go as far into the trees as well so if you can keep it in play you should be looking at making level 6's.

I always count my score against level 5's.

Annoying the last few range sessions my driver has been really behaving itself, just not today.

I’m never going to be any good at golf, if I can go out for a round and not hate it I’ll take that as a win :D

Glad you took it as the joke it was. Have you been playing long?

I played for about 12 months up until around 2018, but only played maybe 10 or so rounds back then, and yesterday was my first full 18 since back then. Played a couple of local rubbish 9 hole courses since getting back into in at the end of July :)

So just going out and having a laugh with my pals is the goal at the moment, if I think I’m going to go out and break 100 and play good golf I’ll be very disappointed!

Golf is hard :cry:

I played for about 12 months up until around 2018, but only played maybe 10 or so rounds back then, and yesterday was my first full 18 since back then. Played a couple of local rubbish 9 hole courses since getting back into in at the end of July :)

So just going out and having a laugh with my pals is the goal at the moment, if I think I’m going to go out and break 100 and play good golf I’ll be very disappointed!

Golf is hard :cry:
You'll be surprised how quickly you improve. I hadn't really played in 25 years and first few times I went out I was shooting 100+. Down to 80's now. Main thing is to enjoy it and if you are then that's the main thing. Just playing a bit when you're starting out can have quick results and quite often 9 hole courses can be hard as they require a lot of short game and that's the hardest part especially if they have long par 3's that need a big club off the tee.

A lesson can work wonders, there's some really good pga professional stuff on youtube as well which can help with drills and setup.

You'll be surprised how quickly you improve. I hadn't really played in 25 years and first few times I went out I was shooting 100+. Down to 80's now. Main thing is to enjoy it and if you are then that's the main thing. Just playing a bit when you're starting out can have quick results and quite often 9 hole courses can be hard as they require a lot of short game and that's the hardest part especially if they have long par 3's that need a big club off the tee.

A lesson can work wonders, there's some really good pga professional stuff on youtube as well which can help with drills and setup.

Yeah I’ve got a very rough goal of breaking 100 once, which I want to achieve next summer!

Weirdly my short game was my best part of my game yesterday, I only duffed one or two shots under 100 yards, and was really hitting my 6 & 7 irons clean off the tee on the par 3s!

Yeah, enjoying it is the main thing, I’m living by the mantra “I’m rubbish at golf and always will be,” that way I can slowly improve without expecting too much from myself and end up getting frustrated :cry:

I had a lesson the other day and I don't know if this is common but....it kind of made me want to quit golf rather than motivate me!

There are so many things wrong with my swing that in order to change it all, I now basically don't really have anything other than a half swing so I can't really play golf, if I trust the process and stick to what I've been told. It's broken any form of a swing I had. I won't be able to get round a course really. I think Im going to have to focus on just range sessions for weeks until I've got used to the new process. It feels awful, probably looks awful too. Main issues:

- Need to stand MUCH further away from the ball. To the point it feels uncomfortable now like I will miss the ball and my back feels it!

- Changed grip to the point where it feels Uber weak and weird. I had it too much in the right palm and rolled under. Now it's more in the fingers of the right hand. I can sort of deal with this in time.

- keeping my arms locked straight. I was way too wristy. But he's given me a swing where it feels so wooden now like I don't get enough back swing or follow through.

- moving the right hip more through the shot and not rolling the wrists.

- Starting position includes leaning the shaft forwards on iron shots.

I feel like I'd look like a tard playing now lol.

One good thing, he said my irons at half inch longer currently are generally fine for my swing and physique/height, and I shouldn't stress about getting longer ones. So I don't need to focus on that. I'm fact when a pro analyses your swing it makes you realise how little clubs matter when your swing is 99% the factor.

I had a lesson the other day and I don't know if this is common but....it kind of made me want to quit golf rather than motivate me!

There are so many things wrong with my swing that in order to change it all, I now basically don't really have anything other than a half swing so I can't really play golf, if I trust the process and stick to what I've been told. It's broken any form of a swing I had. I won't be able to get round a course really. I think Im going to have to focus on just range sessions for weeks until I've got used to the new process. It feels awful, probably looks awful too. Main issues:

- Need to stand MUCH further away from the ball. To the point it feels uncomfortable now like I will miss the ball and my back feels it!

- Changed grip to the point where it feels Uber weak and weird. I had it too much in the right palm and rolled under. Now it's more in the fingers of the right hand. I can sort of deal with this in time.

- keeping my arms locked straight. I was way too wristy. But he's given me a swing where it feels so wooden now like I don't get enough back swing or follow through.

- moving the right hip more through the shot and not rolling the wrists.

- Starting position includes leaning the shaft forwards on iron shots.

I feel like I'd look like a tard playing now lol.

One good thing, he said my irons at half inch longer currently are generally fine for my swing and physique/height, and I shouldn't stress about getting longer ones. So I don't need to focus on that. I'm fact when a pro analyses your swing it makes you realise how little clubs matter when your swing is 99% the factor.
When I had a lesson I had 3 or 4 things to change, changing them all at once just felt too much so I broke it down gradually and started off with shortening by back swing as I was over swinging. Once I had that built in I started working on weight transfer and hips.

The one thing I've not progressed much yet is my grip as strengthening it felt wrong at the time but I think my scores have settled down. TBH the main thing I need to work on now is my angle of attack as it's basically 0. Think I'll stick to what I've got at the moment and maybe work on grip and angle of attack in the winter on the range. Only gripe is that the range doesn't measure angle of attack but have a drill to work on it with a tee peg behind the ball.

TL;DR - I'd hate the game as well if I tried to make all those changes in one go.

Back
Top Bottom