Golf Thread

Yeah, so when I was thinking sim hire I was assuming a GCQuad/Trackman style setup place.

I've used one at my local golf shop, it's ok but it's a shop so lots of noise/comings and goings generally. Was curious really if anyone had visited a cafe type one somewhere and had any thoughts...

My local golf club (the only public one in the area) is absolutely awful, they "run out of range balls" every day, the range balls are all 20 years old etc. etc.

Had my first lesson the other week and they were out of balls so did it upstairs in the trackman sim and it was very cool.

You can rent it for £20 an hour and might do with a few friends over the winter if the weather is particularly rubbish!

Hah. Yeah that's exactly what's happening to me.

Here's a couple holes where the 6i was working really nice.

One of them off the tee and one was when I sliced a wood into the trees so had to take a drop and another where I lost it off the tee again so just reloaded from the tee box.

Those houses on the right would be quaking with fear seeing me step onto the tee box with my driver in hand :p :cry:

Hardest hole on the course, stuck it to 3 ft to make birdie:
mtmFMpjm.jpg

Autumn Outing tomorrow - 36 holes.

18 for the Autumn Shield, then Texas Scramble in the afternoon.

24 from our club going - 6.30am bus - usually a messy affair in the afternoon as people have had a few pints by then!!

Weather looking very very nice.... Off to Carnwarth Golf Club - never been but looks decent.

Likely to be hungover Saturday!

Think I've cracked it, can't wait to get on the course to prove I haven't.. My golfing career has always been a struggle to find the magic feeling, I'd find a little bit that worked, improve, find a little bit more, make things worse. Tonight at the range I found a game changer. Lol

Think I've cracked it, can't wait to get on the course to prove I haven't.. My golfing career has always been a struggle to find the magic feeling, I'd find a little bit that worked, improve, find a little bit more, make things worse. Tonight at the range I found a game changer. Lol

Make sure you take some extra balls on your next round :p :cry:

Guys, check this deal out on the Q Star Tour balls…bagged myself a few dozen..

It's a shame it's not the white ones because they are not bad balls at all. The divide doesn't sit well with me sadly.

Guys, check this deal out on the Q Star Tour balls…bagged myself a few dozen..

Sweet, I've been using them recently so of course I bought 3 dozen :D

Really like the divide for putting, makes me spend more time lining it up and feels really good when you get it rolling end over end, actually find them reasonably easy to spot in the grass too, mostly :p

Out for golf this morning, not done the full morning round on a friday for 'a while' because of work and actually realised I've not played that course (Woodlands in Bristol, either course) for a while either as I've either been playing my local or Shrivenham/Cumberwell Park for the society. Which, point of note, are basically all harder to some extent to the easier course we played today.

PB for this course was (note past tense :D) an 85, I also had a goal of breaking 85 for the year, can tick that one off now with a 79!!!!! 6 Shots better than my PB.

Only 5 pars but 3 birdies (only ever had 2 birdies max before, and even just one isn't that common) and only 2 doubles. One of those doubles was on the last hole and definitely started feeling the pressure there! Hit my 3w off the tee but managed a 'fat toe', PW second (it's a short par 4) and thinned it through the green. Way short on my first chip and a bit short on my second chip left me ~8-10 feet out. First putt lipped out for a tap-in double to *just* break 80.

But wow, kinda unimpressive in some ways but my consistency today was so good, just felt smooth and 'easy'. And of course definitely left some shots out there!

Guessing my HCP of 21.9 will drop with that, the score differential comes in at 13.5 (told you it was an easy course :p) and knocked off a counting scort so thinking just over 1 shot to 20.x at a guess :D

Mentioned a few days ago I was struggling off the tee. I saw a driver for sale and picked it up this morning. £40.
1d1fa8d1-6992-44c8-b2ff-dfa57c85d770.jpg

Swapped in my shaft and the difference is incredible.

This has been my last two weeks.
Screenshot-2024-09-20-17-45-03-158-dk-Track-Man-Range.jpg

Screenshot-2024-09-20-17-44-39-841-dk-Track-Man-Range.jpg

Very high and spinny to the right. Not good.

First session with the new driver;

A few leaking right but plenty nice and central!

@Biz.Kid09 thats similar to my big Bertha alpha 815!

Had my second lesson today and really felt like things were clicking, focused on driver and 3 wood after my 133 last weekend, and by the end was hitting some lovely draw shaped shots and carrying 230 yards consistently!

Playing on Monday, so fully prepared to forget everything I’ve learnt and go back to my slice :cry:

Determined to play smart golf and try to put up a decent score though, I shall report back on Monday evening!

Guessing my HCP of 21.9 will drop with that, the score differential comes in at 13.5 (told you it was an easy course :p) and knocked off a counting scort so thinking just over 1 shot to 20.x at a guess :D
Welcome to the exceptional scoring adjustment club! And damn you for breaking 80 before me. You'll get a shot taken off your past eight(?) scores. Depending how many of those are counting you could be close to 20 in the morning.

Welcome to the exceptional scoring adjustment club! And damn you for breaking 80 before me. You'll get a shot taken off your past eight(?) scores. Depending how many of those are counting you could be close to 20 in the morning.

Heh, I'm pretty sure you play on a harder course than me if that helps at all? :p

I guess I need to look into this exceptional scoring thingy, just checked and I'm down to 19.6!

Goal for the year was <25, didn't think that would be easy let alone going <20, kinda crazy. Started the year at 32.3 or something.

30pts in the monthly stableford this morning. Only one scratch when I four putted the 8th but that rather summed up my round. Tee to green was generally OK but putting was awful. Three putts on the 2nd, 7th, 10th 14th and from just off the green on the 17th, although in fairness that would have been a good two putt. At least five shots gone which would have had me breaking 90 otherwise.

On the plus side I was using a new, expensive for me, ball today and kept the same one in play all round. TaylorMade Tour Response as the pro shop had given a box to anyone who'd ordered clubs after the recent fitting day. In comparison to my usual Distance+ these are advertised as having a high launch and this was definitely notable with the mid-long irons (7-5i). Suspect they are higher spin as well as I had a couple of shots off the tee which I thought might be heading for trouble but just about stayed straight enough. Choice of ball was something I'd spoken to the fitter about, they'd suggested I try the Speedsoft. This something I'd like to test in a good simulator, get a few different balls within my price range and see which suits best - the higher launch is definitely welcome.

Last edited:
Watching the Golf on Sky this weekend and it's the most adverts I think I have ever witnessed during any live covered sports event. It's an absolute joke. Feels like every 5 minutes of coverage gets the same in ads.

Edit: And every time they cut to the guy down on the course, you get horrible static noise cut in and out harshly just before someone's about to take a shot. Really **** coverage for the premium prices we pay in 2024 of a major sport event.

Last edited:
Watching the Golf on Sky this weekend and it's the most adverts I think I have ever witnessed during any live covered sports event. It's an absolute joke. Feels like every 5 minutes of coverage gets the same in ads.

Edit: And every time they cut to the guy down on the course, you get horrible static noise cut in and out harshly just before someone's about to take a shot. Really **** coverage for the premium prices we pay in 2024 of a major sport event.

Be thankful - American coverage is even worse.... I think the record is 4 shots between ad breaks....

Great finish to the BMW - 2nd playoff hole now

Back
Top Bottom