Golf Thread

For the lols I just checked, seems the top 3 golfers in the world all use different balls :p

Scheffler uses the ProV1
Schauffele uses the Chrome Tour
Mcilroy uses the TP5x

indeed - all different but when you take a larger sample size.... it's pretty staggering....

Brand # of Tour Players
Titleist 95
Srixon 8
Callaway 8
TaylorMade 8
Bridgestone 3

Last edited:
Dashed out after work, shot a new PB of 38 (+4) on the front nine of the Tower. The ball lives on! That's two full rounds plus a couple of half rounds. Holding up well bar the sap now on it after I flirted with the trees on the 2nd :p

I’ve tried a lot of different balls and I hate to say it but ProV1’s never let me down and do everything well. AVX being my actual favourite as I generate a lot of spin. Because of that, high spinning balls like a ProV1x and other competing models are a big no for me.

Last edited:
Last comp of the season this weekend aside from some Turkey Trot fun ones.
Playing the best I can atm. Just need to remember to take my time, plan and execute 72 perfect shots. ;)

For the lols I just checked, seems the top 3 golfers in the world all use different balls :p

Scheffler uses the ProV1
Schauffele uses the Chrome Tour
Mcilroy uses the TP5x

Scheffler is sponsored by TM
Schauffele is sponsored by Callaway
Mcilroy is sponsored by TM

You get used to feel, don't let your brain be the limiting factor. If you're results are better with certain balls, then go with them, be openminded.

Last edited:
Had an e-mail from the club this morning advising winter rules (lift and place) would be in effect from the 1st October. Seems a bit premature to me as fairways were fine when I was out on Tuesday, anyone else?

Scheffler is sponsored by TM
Schauffele is sponsored by Callaway
Mcilroy is sponsored by TM

You get used to feel, don't let your brain be the limiting factor. If you're results are better with certain balls, then go with them, be openminded.

I agree :-)

I did try a bit ago to compare a few different balls in a sim with a GCQuad and tbh my variance was way way higher than any variance between balls so impossible to really tell. Saying that it was probably a year ago or more and my ball striking/consistency has changed drastically... On a tangent I was thinking I should get back in there for a proper gapping, I've gained like ~25 yards per club over the last few months it seems!

Had an e-mail from the club this morning advising winter rules (lift and place) would be in effect from the 1st October. Seems a bit premature to me as fairways were fine when I was out on Tuesday, anyone else?

Sounds a bit premature yeah, I played yesterday and today and no real mud balls tbh. Worst was today but that was after a bunker shot, otherwise nothing to mention/note.

Been absolutely hammering it down here for the last 4 days. Ball has stopped running on the fairways, buried in green, so I hope they change our rule soon.

On that note...

So yesterday played in a fun little comp at my local, 9-hole 'one club challenge. Not something I've really heard of elsewhere but teams of 4 (randomly assigned) where player 1 has to use a 'wood' (hybrid allowed apparently), players 2 and 3 can choose whatever and player 4 has to be a putter. From there it's alternate shot, simples.

Does mean if player 3 holes out on one hole then player 4 tees off on the next with the putter, which did happen to us on the 8th :p

I took an 8 iron and slotted in as player 2, thought that'd be good with the par 3 lengths but I didn't actually do a single tee shot, and only did ~4 'full shots' so it was mostly chips/putts or like 90 yard partial shots. Was good fun though.

Today I played the 'new' (about a year old now) White course at Cumberwell Park followed by the par 3, we're going there with the society the weekend after next and wanted to get some practice in having never played it. Really quite a nice course, some trees still need to develop but nice layout, tricky at places but rewarding and found it quite fun. Par 3 was decent too, nice variety of holes from ~90 yards up to ~160.

Scored a 79 (again!) but obviously with the par 3 that was +17 gross, still decent, kinda feels like bogey golf should be my aim still but realised after it won't count for my handicap (score differential of 22.5, worst counting score is a 20.8 it seems) so I guess I need to adjust my view on the scoring :p

Back
Top Bottom