Golf Thread

Billy shouting like a man child, throwing his driver into the crowd, snapping his driver, then getting brave coz they have to mark Lawrence's ball. What a moron. Not a worthy winner imo.

Well my swing changes were a raving success. Got caught in the rough on one hole and compounded a few errors and ended up with an triple. Aside from that I was only 5 over on the front 9. Some poor putting and chipping ended the round 12 over.

Honestly my iron striking which has been my weakest was perfect.. Just need to sort out a few little errors here and there and I rekon I can get some rounds under 80..

Last edited:
Dashed out after the F1 finished to get a round in on the easier course. Still in the honeymoon period with my new clubs and driving was on point. Would have comfortably beaten my PB by a few shots were it not for some more questionable putting. A number of three putts when in good proximity the hole. As it was I equalled it (85/+14).

Kept the same ball in play from yesterday, keep this up and I'll be giving it a long service medal :p Does have me thinking it may be time to step up to a more premium ball.

Last edited:
Yesterday was the day it all worked at the same time. Shot a 78 (+7). Wasn't a weak point in my game at all yesterday and even got the odd lucky lie and bounce. The gentle breeze was blowing in the opposite direction from normal which makes the course play a little easier proven by getting onto a par 5 with 2 x 5 wood shots. Hit a lot of GIR but made a few up and downs as well.

Handicap down to 13.5 now. Could easily go and shoot a 95 next time I'm on the course but I'll take victories when they come along.

Dashed out after the F1 finished to get a round in on the easier course. Still in the honeymoon period with my new clubs and driving was on point. Would have comfortably beaten my PB by a few shots were it not for some more questionable putting. A number of three putts when in good proximity the hole. As it was I equalled it (85/+14).

Kept the same ball in play from yesterday, keep this up and I'll be giving it a long service medal :p Does have me thinking it may be time to step up to a more premium ball.

Out of interest what ball do you use?

I vary mine based on how I feel it seems but usually it's a 'semi-premium' one (AD333 I use a fair bit, although liking the Q-Star Divide recently as mentioned)... I think I've also played just over 2 rounds with one ball now but I now I can easily have a round where I lose 2-4 balls easily, sucks when it happens but feel like it's worth it to use a better or at least consistent ball...

Had a lesson on Friday and I *think* it has sorted me out as I shot my best score over the past couple of months and finished with the same ball I started with for only the 2nd time.

Past couple of months I've had loads of issues with errant tee shots, slices, hooks, etc. so we looked at that on Friday and he (and Trackman) confirmed that my hands and attack angle were the problem. I was releasing a bit too early which meant I had pretty much 0° attack angle. Instructor basically changed my entire swing and the difference is unbelievable already - swinging much more efficiently to the point that I'm actually moving the club slower (for now) and still getting the same distances. Taking a bit of getting used to because I did chunk a fair few as the new attack angle is in the -4° to -6° range, but that will improve with more practise.

One thing that is bugging me is that the pro he uses as a comparison on Trackman's name always completely escapes me. Wish I could remember it so I could have a look at his swing online, unless there's a way to do it on the Trackman website...

Out of interest what ball do you use?

I vary mine based on how I feel it seems but usually it's a 'semi-premium' one (AD333 I use a fair bit, although liking the Q-Star Divide recently as mentioned)... I think I've also played just over 2 rounds with one ball now but I now I can easily have a round where I lose 2-4 balls easily, sucks when it happens but feel like it's worth it to use a better or at least consistent ball...
Currently using the TM Tour Response as I was given a dozen for ordering some clubs from the recent fitting day. Previous to that I was playing TM Distance+ with a Slazenger V300 as backup if I started losing too many during a round :p OK the greens are a little softer at the moment but it's really noticeable how quickly the Response checks up with my wedges, its one bounce and stop which I really like. I'm not one for playing the chip and run much.

It sent me down the rabbit hole to do some research. This video was a real eye opener:

I've now identified a list of balls I'd like to try, ideally back to back in a good indoor simulator to see which would suit me best.

Bridgestone Tour B RXS
Srixion Q-Star Tour (have seen a very good 4 for 3 offer on these which brings them to under £2 a ball)
Vice Pro Air
Seed SD-05
Wilson Staff Triad
Callaway ERC Soft

Last edited:
Currently using the TM Tour Response as I was given a dozen for ordering some clubs from the recent fitting day. Previous to that I was playing TM Distance+ with a Slazenger V300 as backup if I started losing too many during a round :p OK the greens are a little softer at the moment but it's really noticeable how quickly the Response checks up with my wedges, its one bounce and stop which I really like. I'm not one for playing the chip and run much.

It sent me down the rabbit hole to do some research. This video was a real eye opener:

I've now identified a list of balls I'd like to try, ideally back to back in a good indoor simulator to see which would suit me best.

Bridgestone Tour B RXS
Srixion Q-Star Tour (have seen a very good 4 for 3 offer on these which brings them to under £2 a ball)
Vice Pro Air
Seed SD-05
Wilson Staff Triad
Callaway ERC Soft

Just skimmed through that video, pretty much confirms my thoughts on the v100! Found one once and gave it a go, thinking the v300 soft is 'ok' so why not, and yeah, it's bad :p Seen a few since and just left them there like the Top Flite's and Strata's, not worth picking up.

Seems a decent list, Srixon quite often do the "4 for 3" thing, it's part of the reason I like the AD333 quite a bit it comes to just under £69 or something for 4 dozen balls that I think are reasonably decent. Be interesting to hear what wins :)

Just skimmed through that video, pretty much confirms my thoughts on the v100! Found one once and gave it a go, thinking the v300 soft is 'ok' so why not, and yeah, it's bad :p Seen a few since and just left them there like the Top Flite's and Strata's, not worth picking up.

Seems a decent list, Srixon quite often do the "4 for 3" thing, it's part of the reason I like the AD333 quite a bit it comes to just under £69 or something for 4 dozen balls that I think are reasonably decent. Be interesting to hear what wins :)
Crazy thing about the V100/V300 is that you get 48 V300's for £28 (58.33p per ball) but only get 24 V100's for £15 (62.5p per ball). So it's cheaper per ball for the V300 and it's a much better ball as well.

Regards the "Ball" debate.

Absolutely try various options and see what you like/don't like.

But, there is a reason (apart from them being free and sponsored!!!) that Titleist are up there as the Number 1 brand of ball. Pro V1x for me.

I buy most of mine from various facebook groups etc - Works out around £1.80 a ball and they are almost mint/brand new condition.

Admittedly I generally get 18 holes out of a single ball, sometimes loose 1 a round but the consistency / feel / flight / spin etc are just on point all the time for me. I tried some cheaper "new/boxed" balls like Vice / Snell etc but they were very poor in terms of quality/lasting etc - would cut/scuff up way quicker.

Try a free online ball fitting with titleist - they do online fittings/zoom calls etc - really good.

I always think it's like tyres on a car - it's the main point of contact with your clubs and you want the best you can afford, without going mental. I would certainly try getting 12/18 Pro V or alike from the various facebook groups to try. I'd be stunned if you went back to any other ball.

Obviously if there is the potential to loose 3/4/5 balls a round then it can get more expensive but play with the best you can afford. If you've already spent £1500 on clubs and £1500 on fees, why skimp on some balls!

Just me 2p's worth

I've tried the Pro V1 and didn't really like the feel/sound around the greens, chipping and putting.

Anecdotally, because I've not checked this with a gcquad/trackman, the TP5 seems to be very similar on the long full shots like Driver/Woods/Irons whilst both feeling far nicer around the green and seemingly spinning a noticeable amount more on chips.

If I could be confident I'd average <1 lost ball a round I'd play the TP5's without a doubt, but too cheap to play all the time with them. Do have some TP5 Pix in the car/bag which I'll use in comps 'that matter'.

Although also *really* liking that divide for putting!

My 2p would be that at my level at least the inconsistency of strike is far more than any difference between balls of similar 'levels', e.g. ProV1/TP5/Chrome Tour/Z-Star, to the extent that they're essentially 'the same'. imo.

For the lols I just checked, seems the top 3 golfers in the world all use different balls :p

Scheffler uses the ProV1
Schauffele uses the Chrome Tour
Mcilroy uses the TP5x

For the lols I just checked, seems the top 3 golfers in the world all use different balls :p

Scheffler uses the ProV1
Schauffele uses the Chrome Tour
Mcilroy uses the TP5x
found a few of these in the trees at the weekend whilst walking up the fairway - good way to test these balls for free, one was a 'dorito' ball as my son called it due to the pattern on the ball.

FWIW - likely coincidence - I used a Pro V1 at the weekend when I shot my 78 as I've found quite a few in the last couple of months. Think I'll give them another few rounds and see how I get on with it, went from V300 to AD333 and now testing used Pro V1's - still got 9 or 10 AD333's and quite a few V300's to use up - Winter balls I think now for the V300.

Last edited:
What colour balls do you guys find the best to use during the Autumn/Winter? A friend of mine has been using an orange ball, but I lose sight of them when it comes down to ground level. What colour stands out best amongst the fallen leaves and the rough?

What colour balls do you guys find the best to use during the Autumn/Winter? A friend of mine has been using an orange ball, but I lose sight of them when it comes down to ground level. What colour stands out best amongst the fallen leaves and the rough?

I think it massively depends on course and even person :p

Like you I find Orange (and Red) balls kinda 'disappear' close to the ground from a distance but when closer/looking for the ball they can be quite visible, unless of courses there's a bunch of autumn coloured leaves lying around.

Blue seems weird (using the blue/yellow divide) as to me it's visible but 'weird', also others seem to struggle.

Yellow is a decent bet but can be a struggle in leaves again, depending on general shade.

White, oddly, seems the most consistent even during Autumn/Winter. imo.

Back
Top Bottom