Golf Thread

Soldato
That's not including the £700 on T300s (AMT Black and £700 on 3x Vokeys and a Cobra Supernova :cry:.

SFT (Straight Flight Tech) 3W was the better performer for me, as opposed to the Max. Think the wider head compared to the deeper one on the Max gave me a little bit more forgiveness.

Just gotta play the waiting game now, fitter said 8-12 week wait but a friend of mine recently got a G425 5W and waited 5 weeks.

yeah - shafts are the main issue. Anything that's not stock standard is hard to get - like I say - "If" I get my I210 irons by the end of the month - that will be nearly 10 weeks from ordering

Sure adds up, 5 - pw + uw in i210's plus 2 vokeys - £1000

Gee

Gee

Soldato
yeah - shafts are the main issue. Anything that's not stock standard is hard to get - like I say - "If" I get my I210 irons by the end of the month - that will be nearly 10 weeks from ordering

Last I heard, it was a grip (Golf Pride) shortage. Considering they make probably 90% of all golf grips for the OEMs - I can understand why. I waited 6 weeks for my T300's, think TM are on a 2 month backlog still.

Soldato
Have to say, the decision to invest in 3 x Vokeys (nice matt black heads!) has been a good shout for my game. I used to play with PW (45) and 58 degree, so had a massive gap, meant having to manufacture shots less than 125yds with the PW. Bought a set of 50, 54 and 58 Vokeys for £360 and it's made 105yds or less so much easier to play. Not playing as much and still managing (just) to hang on to my 16hcp.

Underboss
Got myself my holy grail putter today, a 2003 Scotty Cameron Studio Design Oil Can #5 - had the same putter when I was 16 so although it's no longer brand new, still brings back memories.

Going to find somewhere that does refurbishments and get it back to as close to factory as possible, not the Scotty Custom shop as they want $500! Madness

4upndQu.jpg

A brand new (if you can find one) headcover for these go for around $100! Thankfully this one isn't that bad, well considering it's almost 20 years old anyway

Gee

Gee

Soldato
I've got 4 Scotty's in my shed. A 2003 Futura, 2006 Detour, 2008 Studio Select and a 2012 Del Mar I think it is. Should probably do the same Josh and look at getting them refurbed.

Underboss
Replaced the grip on it yesterday, has a proper SC Pistolerio grip now, again sadly not an original as that version is $75!!

Taken some surface rust off gently brushing with some soft wire wool, hasn't removed the finish thankfully. Now I just need to get some paint to do some touch ups.

Luckily this is the only thing going right in golf for me atm. Swing feels broken and wildly inconsistent, shot a +16 last Saturday which I've not done in years. Not changed anything but have been hitting the gym a lot more so possibly my timing is out. Frustrating

Soldato
Lights out putting performance yesterday......

Local Open comp - 170 players.

Ok front 9 - no drama's.

Solid back nine. Putted very very well today. Holed a monster 40ft downhill at 12 for par and never missed anything inside 4/5 ft today.

77 less 10 for 67. Finished 3rd overall so should pick up about £50 in sweep/winnings money. Very happy. Course is baked dry so very difficult from 100 yards and in as it's so depending on the bounce you get.

Switched up driver for 3 wood at 2 and 4 on tee shots..... Hitting that G425 3 wood so well. Really.... really want to test the driver now......

golf-jpg.1546567

Cut from 9.9 to 9.0.....

Soldato
why after all these years have I only just stumbled across this :rolleyes:

Anyway. Has anyone purchased the new Taylormade 300 Mini Driver yet?

I currently game the Taylormade Original One Mini Driver which is proving very good for myself. Tempted with an upgrade but just wanted to know thoughts on this new club.

kai

kai

Soldato
Picked up a club for the first time last week in about 15 years. Playing 3 separate courses while away with friends. I previously played from the age 8yrs to 17, getting to a handicap of 6 at my local club.

I was actually surprised. I hit a few wayward shots but made a few birdies and seemed to strike the ball well. Played with a 17 handicapper and we pretty much went even every hole. Anyway, i now have the bug :)

From what i recall, 15 years ago clubs were a lot cheaper (plus parent funded). Looking at pricing and reviews over the last few days, i cant seem to get much change from £1,000+ for a full set. Even 2nd hand prices are crazy.

I know i am not going to be playing at the level i previously was and this will be more casual 1-2 times a week with the odd club competition.

Does anyone have any recommendations as below is a liquorice allsort chosen towards price more than anything (apart from the putter).

Tg0raWK.png.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Personally. Get fitted. I have bought clubs over decades as I come and go with the sport and never sure if its right for me. If you are investing a chunk of money into it then make sure it is right. I have booked in a fitting for this weekend. Its £100 for full bag at Silvermere and I am sure similar can be found near you. Its an investment to know what I need to buy in the future and what suits my swing rather than just hoping I get it right off the shelf.

I have only been playing again for a few months using clubs between 8 and 20 years old. Its time for a refresh in the coming months so thought best to go get fitted for everything.

Underboss
Get some beaters and use them for a few months to get your swing back, no point getting fitted now, only to improve and find your swing in 6 weeks to need to get fitted again.

At the moment you just need to find a swing that you can consistently do.

Plus club fit delays will mean you won't be playing a while if you go down that route.

Soldato
Find some cheap clubs on ebay/facebook groups.

Same with bags/putter etc - Wait till next year and get a proper fitting if your going to stick with it.

Loads of good facebook groups with pro's selling trade ins etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/455490204534167

Loads of stuff on there - pick up some older pings/Titleist etc

I'm still playing with my G10 Pings from nearly 12 years ago...Got a new set on order (i210's) - still waiting as there is a massive shortage of shafts/grips etc due to Covid backlogs etc

Ordering new clubs - you'll be waiting weeks even for standard sets

Soldato
Funny people are talking of getting fitted. I played off 19 and have some off the shelf m2s and a Callaway xr16 driver both 3 years old.

I went to a very reputable fitting shop tried a mass amount of clubs and none really gained me anything more than my current set. However what I did find very strange was allegedly and I've checked with other company's only Titleist send shafts shorter than standard length and it's assumed I could do with -1/2" off the shaft length. But what I didn't like was the fact I could only try and test Titleist clubs in this spec.

If I'm spending £1000 on irons I want to try the final product.

Soldato
Funny people are talking of getting fitted. I played off 19 and have some off the shelf m2s and a Callaway xr16 driver both 3 years old.

I went to a very reputable fitting shop tried a mass amount of clubs and none really gained me anything more than my current set. However what I did find very strange was allegedly and I've checked with other company's only Titleist send shafts shorter than standard length and it's assumed I could do with -1/2" off the shaft length. But what I didn't like was the fact I could only try and test Titleist clubs in this spec.

If I'm spending £1000 on irons I want to try the final product.

Any decent fitter should have various shaft lengths - shorter/longer etc. Go to your local pro, not American golf etc - My local pro has fitting carts for Ping/Titleist/Taylormade.... Each cart has 5/6 different shafts, and 3 or 4 different lengths of shaft....

So when I got fitted - I tried i210/i500/g425 ping heads, all on 1/2 inch longer shafts, and 3 different stiff shafts..... (tried x flex as well but didn't get on with them)

So ended up with 1/2 longer, 3 degrees up right and could even try the different grip thicknesses..... Any proper fitting should have all those options for you....

Soldato
Any decent fitter should have various shaft lengths - shorter/longer etc. Go to your local pro, not American golf etc - My local pro has fitting carts for Ping/Titleist/Taylormade.... Each cart has 5/6 different shafts, and 3 or 4 different lengths of shaft....

So when I got fitted - I tried i210/i500/g425 ping heads, all on 1/2 inch longer shafts, and 3 different stiff shafts..... (tried x flex as well but didn't get on with them)

So ended up with 1/2 longer, 3 degrees up right and could even try the different grip thicknesses..... Any proper fitting should have all those options for you....
I went to Sheffield pro golf (Google them) There a top fitter in the area and have literally everything you can imagine. They said only Titleist send shorter length shafts, apparently they only sell roughly 5 out of 100 sets with shorter length shafts which I found interesting as I expected it to be a lot more common.

I asked on a forum or two to see if this is normal not having many shorter length shafts to test and apparently it is.

They have an abundance of longer lengths but not shorter and it's put a spanner in the works now as it's a lot of money to not try and test to the spec.

Soldato
I went to Sheffield pro golf (Google them) There a top fitter in the area and have literally everything you can imagine. They said only Titleist send shorter length shafts, apparently they only sell roughly 5 out of 100 sets with shorter length shafts which I found interesting as I expected it to be a lot more common.

I asked on a forum or two to see if this is normal not having many shorter length shafts to test and apparently it is.

They have an abundance of longer lengths but not shorter and it's put a spanner in the works now as it's a lot of money to not try and test to the spec.

Just grip down the club 1/2 inch :p:p

How tall/not tall are you?

Soldato
If anyone plays Vice golf balls, just got an email through with a buy 5 dozen get 1 dozen free code :

FREEDOZEN

code can be used at checkout, has to be on an order of the same type ball, so add 5 dozen of whatever ball, add the code and a free dozen gets added onto the order.

Back
Top Bottom