Golf Thread

Associate
Swapping my Garmin R10, for a SkyTrak - actually be able to get accurate results in my garage once it arrives.

Only been able to use the R10 outside, which was not what I purchased it for. Just got a couple of feet too little in my garage.
Need to get the wife to chuck some stuff out to make space! lol
Either that, or I use a SkyTrak and can have the device right next to the ball, rather than behind me. Can't wait for it to come, as its meant to be raining all next week.

Associate
Here's my skytrak bag mapping, pretty cool feature:

8CUmTnA.png

Can't really swing as hard as I'd like for both 3w or driver due to being scared of hitting the roofing support beams and having to grip down on it a few inches.
I've hit those beams a few times with some of my high-hands follow-throughs and made a few marks already!

Soldato
Played at Barassie today in team match - howling wind and some rain. (borders right on to Dundonald Links)

Battered my opponent - 7&6 on a course I've never played..... Was level par scratch walking off 12th green having won the match..... Greens were spectacular...so fast, so true, beautiful - probably best green's I've ever seen or played on that I can ever remember. Great course, love to play there without the howling wind.

Birdied 3/8 and 10. Then on 11th straight into the wind, hit a great drive, had 195 to the flag straight into the wind, ( was about a 3 or 4 club wind) hit 3 wood way left (first bad shot of the day), dropped provisional, and hit 3 wood to 20ft, and drained the putt for a ridiculous bogie (with a shot for a net par with a lost ball). Opponent was very gracious in defeat, just accepted it was one of those days.

Soldato
So done another naughty.

Vokey SM9 wedges fitted and ordered.
52deg F grind stiff 8deg bounce
54deg D grind stiff 12deg bounce
56deg S grind stiff 10th bounce

I tried steeper wedges 58 and 60 but the numbers and confidence with them were minimal. Amazing how each grind feels through impact.

52deg is designed as more full swing where as 54 and 56 and more bunker/tight lies around the green etc.

Arriving in 3 weeks

Soldato
interesting, those are very tightly "separated". much more common to do 4 degree gaps but I assume you were fitted for those gaps. a 2 degree gap would typically be only around 5 yards apart so those three don't cover a whole lot of range. you will have to learn your "clock positions" for each club to get appropriate yardages.

Soldato
interesting, those are very tightly "separated". much more common to do 4 degree gaps but I assume you were fitted for those gaps. a 2 degree gap would typically be only around 5 yards apart so those three don't cover a whole lot of range. you will have to learn your "clock positions" for each club to get appropriate yardages.
yeah I was fitted. I think it was more for my feel and confidence in my short game. Having a steeper lofted club didn't fill me with confidence. So when hitting it the results were't encouraging.

The 54 is mainly going to be my SW so will leave me the 52 and 56.
I currently play a 58 and have never felt comfortable with the loft.

With the grind on the 54 it offers me the chance to open the face more out of bunkers

Soldato
So issue with my local pro who fitted my wedges. Got a phone call yesterday to say he’s got my fitting incorrect and the specs I’ve ordered are wrong. I could have screamed!!

Luckily I’ve ordered through Scottsdale Golf (as was cheaper) so I’ve cancelled the order after apologising profusely.
Money going back as store credit and I’ve booked in at their performance and build centre tomorrow morning for 10am.

Early start and drive but really looking forward to the experience.

Soldato
Well what can I say about Scottsdale Golf FBP centre.
Simply unreal. Extremely friendly, extremely helpful and just a pleasure to have been fitted there.
So much better using GCQuad for data.

Settled on:
SM9 Vokey 52deg 08 bounce F Grind
SM9 Vokey 56deg 12 bounce D Grind - .25" shorter shaft
SM9 Vokey 58deg 10 bounce S Grind - 1deg flat - .25" shorter shaft

Couple pictures:

g7VMtwz.jpg

M89QOe6.jpg

3YWwLmG.jpg

BF8kabE.jpg

4CynpSD.jpg

VM5Fpyx.jpg

PSMuiBs.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
All that looks mint.
Super jealous!

On a plus note, I finally broke 90 yesterday for the first time (89).
Should never have calculated my score on the beginning of the 17th, knowing how many strokes I needed to break 90.
Ended up with my worst 2 holes of the round, but still managed to keep it under :)
One milestone completed for the season though! (85 is my next goal).

Last edited:
Associate
I've just joined my first club. Been playing the local par 3 and short courses mixed in with the odd full course over the past 18 months.

I'm hoping regular rounds on a full course will drastically improve my rather dreadful game in due time. First round as a member this Sunday.

Watch the space.

Associate
I've just joined my first club. Been playing the local par 3 and short courses mixed in with the odd full course over the past 18 months.

I'm hoping regular rounds on a full course will drastically improve my rather dreadful game in due time. First round as a member this Sunday.

Watch the space.
Excellent!
Get to know your course, it'll reap benefits over the next few months.

Don't forget to enjoy it this weekend!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice round today playing a course I'd never played.
Not hit a ball properly in over 2 ½ weeks and the range was closed so went out rusty.
With no driver either (sold it pending Cobra arrival) I had another game off two halves.
Front 9 - 53 :confused:
that included 3 x 7s and 1 x 8. I was truly shocking. One positive though. Wedges were nice :D

Back 9 - 43.
This also included 1 x 7 and 3 bogies. I even missed a par put from 1ft on the 18th :cry::cry:

difficult playing with no driver. Long par 4s become very tricky. But today was so hot. the ground has no forgiveness either

Soldato

Watch the space.
how did the first full round go?

Very different from a par 3 course

Back
Top Bottom