Golf Thread

Soldato
Well what can I say about Scottsdale Golf FBP centre.
Simply unreal. Extremely friendly, extremely helpful and just a pleasure to have been fitted there.
So much better using GCQuad for data.

Settled on:
SM9 Vokey 52deg 08 bounce F Grind
SM9 Vokey 56deg 12 bounce D Grind - .25" shorter shaft
SM9 Vokey 58deg 10 bounce S Grind - 1deg flat - .25" shorter shaft

Couple pictures:

g7VMtwz.jpg

M89QOe6.jpg

3YWwLmG.jpg

BF8kabE.jpg

4CynpSD.jpg

VM5Fpyx.jpg

PSMuiBs.jpg

I splurged and upgraded my Kirkland wedges to some proper fitted Vokeys (52,56 & 58) which finally came last week. Even as a mid handicapper I can really feel the difference. I got them in the black finish and will look better with age as the patina.

Snap. Lovely aren't they

Associate
I've recently been fitted for my hybrids and driver through American Golf at their Three Hammers mega store here in the West Midlands.

Feedback from the day and some general thoughts.
Firstly I chose AG at Three Hammers due to their fitting bay looking out over a TopTracer Range. Their use of both Trackman and TopTracer gave me the visual and numbers I wanted. Being able to see your ball flight and not just trust a computer after hitting into a net is a must. Especially with AG. Find a fitting centre with the above.
Thanks, my local store has their bay on a TopTracer range. Not sure on Trackman, have to pay more attention when I next walk past when its in use.

Soldato
I splurged and upgraded my Kirkland wedges to some proper fitted Vokeys (52,56 & 58) which finally came last week. Even as a mid handicapper I can really feel the difference. I got them in the black finish and will look better with age as the patina.

nice.... Amazing that 3 wedges cost £500 or so mind you - changed times...Enjoy

Soldato
Lost my semi final tonight - 1 down on 18.

Typical old boy - hits driver (callaway warbird!!) 180-190 up middle of every fairway... Then a ladies rescue/hybrid club 150 - 170 to the front edge or close to front edge of every green. Chips to 15ft and has a look on every hole for par.... Plays off 11 - literally don't think he missed a fairway at all.

Even the par 5's he's front edge in 3 all the time... lol

He got nervous when he was 2 up with 2 to play. Hit 2 balls into the water on par 3 17th, then topped his driver off 18 (his only bad shot of the night) - it bounced twice before the burn and somehow hopped over it.

Didn't play great myself - holed absolutely nothing from outside 8ft or so - lipped out about 5 times.

Always next year!

Soldato
So my 1 year old 2021 DLX-Lite Edition Powerkaddy Cart bag has been dying for the past 4 months. Small rips appearing near the zips etc.
When I was getting my wedge fitting with scottsdale I showed the guys my bag and explained I'd raised a ticket for a return but the new bags I wanted were not in stock.
They've told me it'll be a return with credit attached once the bags are in stock. Which they now are.

I'm torn between 2 bags. Both look excellent and will hopefully stand the test of all weather golf. Just unsure which one to go for. People Thoughts.

Powerkaddy Premium Edition Cart Bag

or

Powerkaddy Premium Edition Tech Cart Bag

Soldato
Camo one for me - however - just personally not a fan of the external putter bit...

Also you sure you want another powercaddy bag if the first one has been dying etc - that would put me off another one.

Associate
Yellow and black for me.
But he has a point, i'd switch brands personally, but that's up to you.
I have a TM and it's been fine for the year in all weather conditions so far, not a single thing wrong with it (yet) :)

Associate
Had a 'fitting' at my local American Golf store this afternoon. As it turned out it was more a case of hit a few clubs and see what I liked.

When I told them the budget I had in mind they were straight up that my options were going to be very limited :p. Fair enough. I guess expecting them to have everything they stock in store available in their bay to demo was probably a bit unrealistic and at my level not a deal breaker.

First up tried a couple of Wilson drivers that were within budget. A D9 and Launch Pad, turned out getting the ball in the air wasn't a problem :p. Wasn't feeling it with the D9, barely a step up from the good shots with my 25 year old cheap package set driver. I did however really like the 3W in the same range. Felt great and really pinged off the face.

With little else in budget it was looking like I may go home empty handed. The next demo clubs they had were well into the £300 range. I asked if there was anything in the second hand rack which may be of interest. Off went the member of staff to return with a shrink wrapped TaylorMade M4 driver and 3W off the shop floor!

Once they'd been stickered up to save marking the faces I had a hit. The driver instantly felt much better and the sort of step up I was expecting. The 3W was equally great, really zipped of the face and very straight running out up to 200 yards. The driver (10.5°, regular flex) getting to around 220 with most finding the imaginary fairway. Told you I was rubbish :p

Price was a little more, £280 for the driver, than I had planned on but figured it was worth it in the long run. Now I've got not excuse for not getting back out on course. Well I could use a wedge for getting out of bunkers and those short chips, pitches...and a proper putter........

Overall experience was very relaxed, no hard sell. Flightscope was used for ball tracking, despite being right next door to a TopTracer bay they didn't have that in theirs.

Soldato
@stephenb - Did you buy it at £279?

Seems fairly expensive for a 4 year old driver... PXG have brand new models at £250 if you have fitting near you (you can also order online with your own specs and 60 day refund for any reason)

Sim 2 Driver (from Taylormade) can be had for £299 at various online places - much newer model. Not saying it's better or worse than M4 but a much newer model from the same company.

Soldato
Had a 'fitting' at my local American Golf store this afternoon. As it turned out it was more a case of hit a few clubs and see what I liked.

Overall experience was very relaxed, no hard sell. Flightscope was used for ball tracking, despite being right next door to a TopTracer bay they didn't have that in theirs.

This is shame and a completely different experience to myself. The AG I used had Trackman hitting onto a range.

Talking of drivers. I played yesterday and used my new driver for only the second time. Slowly getting used to it. By the end of the round I was gaining confidence to hit it off the tee knowing it'll got down the middle of the fairway or fade off into the semi rough. Feels so so good off the centre.

Associate
Thanks for the concern folks. Yes I did buy both driver and three wood (£279 & £179 respectively). Thing is this was already a little more than I ideally wanted to spend and I didn't want to get into endless scope creep.

Yes the design is four years old, the clubs I have are the 2021 respin. I guess they were so popular they brought them back, or just very profitable! Watched a few YouTube videos on them from the usual suspects, don't think I'm missing out on anything.

Soldato
Buy used on ebay, or golfclubsforcash or the like. You can get used clubs for very little and for the vast majority of golfers they will be fine.

I recently picked up a Titleist TS3 with a regular and a stiff shaft so I could play with the pair and work out which one to use. Cost me £180. A new TSi3 with one shaft would have been £400+

Soldato
/me waves :p

New to this thread, honestly never thought I'd even be considering Golf but here we are :cry:

So a few of my mates from Poker started playing recently and I was/am kinda interested mostly for the social/getting out into the fresh air aspect. So yesterday dragged another mate out to the range (he's not a player but has been to the range a few times before whilst I'd never done more than crazy golf) and had a reasonably fun time. We started with 50 balls each and I wanted to do a few more after so got another 50 which he did a few of so I probably did 85-90 balls total, mostly Driver with a bit of 6-iron thrown in.

Obviously not that good but by the end I was hitting some ok shots, found the Driver harder/less consistent whilst the last try with the 6-iron had a few decent shots in there, seemingly going past the 100-yard board before landing and pretty straight with it.

So then I bought an el-cheapo package set online, £200 for a Spalding Steel set (that seemingly despite the name has graphite shafts for the Driver and Hybrid), I know it's not going to be great but my thinking is that it'll be better than me right now and over time with playing/practice/lessons I can upgrade or add clubs as/when it makes sense, probably specifically the Driver/Hybrid/Putters really.

Next plan is, once the clubs arrive, probably to go to the range maybe 2-3 times and also try 'pitch and putt' with my own clubs to get used to them before going to a course with my mates that play and give them the benefit of not being the worst player in the group :p

Is it worth getting a lesson at this stage just to start off 'properly' with grip and swing etc? I have watched a fair few YouTube videos on it to get an idea at least before going to the range. Or should I leave the lesson until I've got a bit better/more confident?

Soldato
/me waves :p

New to this thread, honestly never thought I'd even be considering Golf but here we are :cry:

So a few of my mates from Poker started playing recently and I was/am kinda interested mostly for the social/getting out into the fresh air aspect. So yesterday dragged another mate out to the range (he's not a player but has been to the range a few times before whilst I'd never done more than crazy golf) and had a reasonably fun time. We started with 50 balls each and I wanted to do a few more after so got another 50 which he did a few of so I probably did 85-90 balls total, mostly Driver with a bit of 6-iron thrown in.

Obviously not that good but by the end I was hitting some ok shots, found the Driver harder/less consistent whilst the last try with the 6-iron had a few decent shots in there, seemingly going past the 100-yard board before landing and pretty straight with it.

So then I bought an el-cheapo package set online, £200 for a Spalding Steel set (that seemingly despite the name has graphite shafts for the Driver and Hybrid), I know it's not going to be great but my thinking is that it'll be better than me right now and over time with playing/practice/lessons I can upgrade or add clubs as/when it makes sense, probably specifically the Driver/Hybrid/Putters really.

Next plan is, once the clubs arrive, probably to go to the range maybe 2-3 times and also try 'pitch and putt' with my own clubs to get used to them before going to a course with my mates that play and give them the benefit of not being the worst player in the group :p

Is it worth getting a lesson at this stage just to start off 'properly' with grip and swing etc? I have watched a fair few YouTube videos on it to get an idea at least before going to the range. Or should I leave the lesson until I've got a bit better/more confident?

for now - just hit some balls and enjoy the good and the bad.

If you are still enjoying it in a few months, get a few lessons over the winter time.

Back
Top Bottom