GOOD VR games?

Soldato
Thinking of getting into some of these racing games in VR (on a Vive) - what sort of gear do you need?

I don't have any steering wheels or anything yet, no idea where to start.

Also, can you just play them with a kb + mouse anyway?

Associate

You really wouldn't want to play them with a keyboard and mouse, especially in VR.

Logitech and Thrustmaster do some good force feedback wheels and pedal kits, it just depends how much you're prepared to spend.

Soldato
ok budget is not an issue as long as it's fun. Never tried wheels and pedals in games, I'll have a look at those two then for starters. Cheers.

I use a Logitech, sadly a model that is no longer available but looking at the current offerings I would say either G29 or G920 should do the job.

Soldato
Thinking of getting into some of these racing games in VR (on a Vive) - what sort of gear do you need?

Logitech G29, Assetto Corsa, Dirt rally and you're good to go heh. Just done exactly this myself and it is amazing on the Vive. If you do choose the G29, make sure you check the prices as I bought it for £161 but have seen it for £300 for the exact same thing in some places (Argos for example)

Associate
Also, look for second hand Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel & pedals. Make sure it's the USB version. Ancient peripheral, but still good and you can get them really cheap - circa £15 - with a bit of searching.

Associate
I use a G290. Some things I didn't realize before I got it:
  • These things are surprisingly heavy.
  • The FFB on the wheel can be intense, almost violent. Make sure you have a sturdy platform or desk.
  • If you're mounting it on a desk, make sure it's not too thick. The clamps probably only stretch open about 1.5 inches.
  • Smooth desks can result in the clamps slipping and dismounting at the worst possible time. Can probably be sorted with some grippy rubber pads.
  • Cables. Cables everywhere!

Associate
I use a G290. Some things I didn't realize before I got it:
  • These things are surprisingly heavy.
  • The FFB on the wheel can be intense, almost violent. Make sure you have a sturdy platform or desk.
  • If you're mounting it on a desk, make sure it's not too thick. The clamps probably only stretch open about 1.5 inches.
  • Smooth desks can result in the clamps slipping and dismounting at the worst possible time. Can probably be sorted with some grippy rubber pads.
  • Cables. Cables everywhere!

Cheap hack tip, put blu-tac or white-tac inside the jaws of the clamp, worked a treat with my G27 for years....you can turn the FFB down in most games and probably should as the FFB is improved if you avoid clipping (too much force for the wheel to process). You get more detail in the FFB that way too...go to the forum for the game you are playing, you won't be the first person to use that wheel and there will be some good setup tips around. Project Cars for instance has preset (Jack Spade) tweaker files you just dump in your documents folder (unzip-copy-paste) as well as some basic configuration options that make a huge difference to the FFB. Assetto Corsa is much better out of the box but I had to turn it down a little as it was too much for my liking...

Then prepare to spend your life savings on upgrades forever more...

Associate
Cheap hack tip, put blu-tac or white-tac inside the jaws of the clamp, worked a treat with my G27 for years....
Ah, good tip! Thanks!

Yeah, I toned down the in-game FFB pretty quickly after I first tried it. Still, on simply powering up, the wheel self-calibrates and can shake the bejebus out of a desk as it rotates from end to end and slams into the limits.

Duo

Duo

Associate
I need to set up my steering wheel and gear stick for use with my VIVE. Does it get difficult finding the gear stick with the headset on?

Associate
Soldato
Dead and Buried, just played it and it's great (free with touch controllers). PVP modes are okay, but the coop horde mode was awesome. Made it to wave 8 in the saloon just me and one other dude. I am proper sweating now.

Soldato
Racket NX has been on free this weekend, it's good for the rest of the day
Bit pricey, but a very good racket/squash type game. Had a multiplayer game, was a total blast. I can easily see it being a candidate for an esport of the future, were it to be more in the physical realm.

Also Superhot has impressed. Love the matrix bullet dodge, and Mid air grabs you do on dropped weapons.

Soldato
Blaze Rush.
Finally got a chance with it. If you've any kind of love of the micro racer, then it's a must. Not had that kind of enjoyment since the early micro machine games.

Multiplayer is an absolute blast, racing, and a rocket league'est football game, packed servers, guess it cross plays with the 2d version. £3.99 for such a polished game.

Associate
Blaze Rush.
Finally got a chance with it. If you've any kind of love of the micro racer, then it's a must. Not had that kind of enjoyment since the early micro machine games.

Multiplayer is an absolute blast, racing, and a rocket league'est football game, packed servers, guess it cross plays with the 2d version. £3.99 for such a polished game.

Haha beat me to it, I specifically come to this thread to say exactly the same thing!

Associate
Blaze Rush.

Looks great, though it's £6.99 n the Steam Store,

Is there a different VR version, or do yu just buy the standard game and it runs in VR?

Back
Top Bottom