GOOD VR games?

Associate
Elite Dangerous looks amazing, but fark me how do you play it without a HOTAS? Keyboard is impossible in VR...but there are so many controls I keep having to remove the headset to use it...that's a bit annoying.

Edit: I'm coming to realise that I don't have the patience to learn and play new games. I like racing & driving games/sims because I'm a petrolhead and love driving anyway, but the rest is just starting to make me frustrated and annoyed now...I'm not going to refund, I'll keep playing to try and get the hang of this one, but it's too complex to just pick up and play.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nads.
Just saw this over at reddit, came here to ask the question, and see if you guys were all over it. Looks like crazy fun, like that game they were playing in Ender Game, with a ball mechanic.

Plays on the Vive through the normal channel, but I'm minus a controller this weekend while the pad gets it's fix. Post more opinions, looks amazing.

Try a pad 2B. It's the next best easy option, a stick/cheap is what you really need though, it adds to the immersion factor more than anything else.

My pick of the day:

Check out Tinertia, got a VR update this week, it's a platformer in the realms of 3D.

Soldato
I had a go of Echo Arena last night and it's absolutely brilliant, all Rift users should definitely try it out before the beta ends!

Just downloading it now, never even knew it existed until I saw your post. Can you play with friends or is it always random people?

Associate
Elite Dangerous looks amazing, but fark me how do you play it without a HOTAS? Keyboard is impossible in VR...but there are so many controls I keep having to remove the headset to use it...that's a bit annoying.

Edit: I'm coming to realise that I don't have the patience to learn and play new games. I like racing & driving games/sims because I'm a petrolhead and love driving anyway, but the rest is just starting to make me frustrated and annoyed now...I'm not going to refund, I'll keep playing to try and get the hang of this one, but it's too complex to just pick up and play.

Elite can initially take a bit of getting into, and the best way is to spend a few hours getting to grips with the tutorials on your monitor. A HOTAS is the best way to go, but due to the way all the in-game HUDs work, it's playable on a gamepad. Playing on a monitor first also makes looking up info/rebinding any controls easier if you need to.

Once you've sorted the tutorial on the monitor, jump into VR and run through them again. Once you get comfortable with it, it's not really all that hard, though it can certainly look like it at the beginning.

Associate
iRacing subs 12 months for £22.39 bought just to see what it's like in VR, must resist the urge to spend my life savings on all the content now though :) MX-5 racing for the year will do me fine ;)

Associate
Just downloading it now, never even knew it existed until I saw your post. Can you play with friends or is it always random people?

Edit: Fluke beat me too it :p:D

At the moment you can only play with randoms because it's the open beta. The full game releases in August I think and has the usual multi-player options including playing with friends. Best of all its going to be free! It's actually tied with the single player game Lone Echo which just became available for pre-order (which I have), looks great and had my eye on it for a while.

The Mrs is away for the weekend so once I put my daughter down for the night hopefully we can get some games going if anyone else is around?

Soldato
Edit: Fluke beat me too it :p:D

At the moment you can only play with randoms because it's the open beta. The full game releases in August I think and has the usual multi-player options including playing with friends. Best of all its going to be free! It's actually tied with the single player game Lone Echo which just became available for pre-order (which I have), looks great and had my eye on it for a while.

The Mrs is away for the weekend so once I put my daughter down for the night hopefully we can get some games going if anyone else is around?

I am around for some gaming tonight. Count me in :)

Associate
Elite can initially take a bit of getting into, and the best way is to spend a few hours getting to grips with the tutorials on your monitor. A HOTAS is the best way to go, but due to the way all the in-game HUDs work, it's playable on a gamepad. Playing on a monitor first also makes looking up info/rebinding any controls easier if you need to.

Once you've sorted the tutorial on the monitor, jump into VR and run through them again. Once you get comfortable with it, it's not really all that hard, though it can certainly look like it at the beginning.

Sensible advice thanks Fluke. I am playing with a pad, but even then there are keyboard controls to contend with. I did the first couple of tutorials and had to hit j to come out of fast travel, kept cocking up. Weirdly the game was telling me i had to fire up the drive again even though I crashed into the station I was supposed to go to, that was just in the second tutorial, lol. I'm clearly no Han Solo/Sulu in the making

Soldato
Sensible advice thanks Fluke. I am playing with a pad, but even then there are keyboard controls to contend with. I did the first couple of tutorials and had to hit j to come out of fast travel, kept cocking up. Weirdly the game was telling me i had to fire up the drive again even though I crashed into the station I was supposed to go to, that was just in the second tutorial, lol. I'm clearly no Han Solo/Sulu in the making

You can really tweak the controls, and if you're limited on buttons like on your pad, you can set up key combos for actions (eg A button + direction pad up to do action z) . I suspect if you Google a bit someone will have a workable set of key bindings you can copy.

Associate

Not played myself but I believe people are using voice attack to help with the multitude of controls.

Soldato
Voice attack would help

Back
Top Bottom