GOOD VR games?

Soldato
Yet to see anything good in VR, I've tried quite a few games but I always come away disappointed.

Unless I see some amazing footage I wont be bothering the touch controllers.

I can't imagine VR without the controllers, I would have thought they were virtually essential. Adds a whole extra dimension and control to the gameworld. How do you interact with the environment without the controllers?

Soldato
Knockout League. Brilliant game, really gets the heart pumping.

So many games and experiences and so little time. I am really enjoying VR at the moment.

Associate
I can't imagine VR without the controllers, I would have thought they were virtually essential. Adds a whole extra dimension and control to the gameworld. How do you interact with the environment without the controllers?

I can't wait for someone to come out with some really decent VR gloves so you can actually have realistic working hands and pick things up :)

Soldato

Depends what you are doing.

When your playing Project Cars or Elite Dangerous you use either a wheel or HOTAS setup.

Soldato
I tried this using the demo versions and it was pretty janky... when I move my head there is like a black window in my peripheral vision very briefly.

Does it work well for you?

I was thinking I'll probably wait until x-plane do a native VR mode, supposedly it's on the to do list.

I use XP10 with FlyInside and a HTC Vive using a 1070 FE.

There shouldn't be any black window. The idea being that the FlyInside software has to draw the 360 view from what is essentially the 2D view. Your PC isn't keeping up with the needed processing?

Have a look at the menu in FlyInside. It should read 30/90 (fps). Anything less at the immersion won't be fluid.

I don't think native VR will happen soon. XP11 is still missing seasons.

Soldato
I have been playing project cars for the last couple of days and all I can say is WOW, too a bit of tinkering to get it looking good running mostly on medium settings no aa supersampling set to 1.6 in steam vr. Combined with my cheap thrustmaster t150 its an amazing experince. I especially love the day to night races in the gt 3/4 cars and chuck in a little rain to spice it up:D. Only trouble is now I want a better wheel and pedals.:rolleyes:

Soldato
KART CHASER : THE BOOST VR

Such value for the price. Picked it up for a couple of quid less, but worth every penny at 6.99.

A ton of courses, plenty of variation of the power up's (balancing being worked upon), a shed load of fun.

No multiplayer, but the developer is basically saying more sales, more users, he'll do it.

Not nearly as good as sonic transformed, but it's the kind of game where VR makes up the difference, and screams why would you want to play any other way... like the racers, sims ect...

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just refunded Onward as I'm right handed and the controllers dont work if youre right handed (for me at least, although I've seen others mention it). I can use them in game but not move and have to shoot left handed so its a deal breaker.

Will keep an eye on it though and probably rebuy once its sorted.

Loving H3VR and Arizona sunshine so far, great sandbox/games in their own respect.

Associate
HOMEBOUND released today. It's been on my wishlist for a while. It's a kind of space escape the room experience.

Unfortunately it's very buggy at the moment, hands disappear, motion sickness, controls don't always work and it's not very optimized but...... It has the potential to be awesome. I stuck with the bugs long enough to get through the experience and even with the bugs it's very good. Really nice visuals.

Soldato
HOMEBOUND released today. It's been on my wishlist for a while. It's a kind of space escape the room experience.

Unfortunately it's very buggy at the moment, hands disappear, motion sickness, controls don't always work and it's not very optimized but...... It has the potential to be awesome. I stuck with the bugs long enough to get through the experience and even with the bugs it's very good. Really nice visuals.
Looks interesting, hope they iron stuff out.

Associate
I was going to make a post myself about the value of VR games when I stumbled across this one. A game I worked on recently just went 50% off, called Henry the Hamster Handler if you want to take a look at it. It got me thinking, how much should we be spending on VR games considering they're pretty short and the cost to entry is pretty high?

Soldato
£45 is a lot of money in the vr gamespace. I don't have either game, though tempted by the first encounter at the time it released.

People make a lot of noise because of the locomotion, if thats you're bag then go for it.. but either way 45 for a wave shooter and a hacked in fps is a lot to ask. Two very different games.

Dithering myself over Airmech Command and Tetherd, i'm thinking one now, one in a sale/

Associate
Anyone tried Series Sam VR yet? Bundle pack on offer via steam atm, reviews look good and you get two full games.

Tempting.

I didnt the newer VR one, but the old serious sam HD VR port I did, and I love it. I mean, its serious sam again, but at least its a full-length game with actual locomotion. They get it, the controls are great. left and right pads control movement and jumping, strafe and rotation on whatever hand you like, aim-strafe with either hand held out in front of you but your primary takes control if both are held out, good weapon swap system... downside is Its an old game with little variation.

Its a shame they went with boring no movement for the newer one. (actually I havent played it yet, so i dont know if its boring or not) as just a really modern hardcore serious sam game would be just what the doctor ordered in my house. They like doing over the top scale and that aspect works really well. double lasering a giant monster throwing fireballs at you, jumping about killing things in two different directions, epic egyptian architecture, all pretty cool.

Might be a good trainer for VR depending on what teleport mechanics they have? idk i have pretty good legs, i just have it full locomotion or whatever they call it now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom