**GOT AN EVGA GRAPHICS RELATED QUESTION OR NEED SUPPORT - ASK HERE!!**

Associate
Thanks for looking into it. I'd love to know whether there's just been much more demand for these than was anticipated, or if there have been other factors - limited production run in first place, memory prices? They're the perfect card for GPU rendering which is really taking off this year, pity if they're being phased out.

Associate
Yes, for rendering it is THE card to get :) We might have to wait on an answer on this till the end of next week then we will also have more information about future availability...

Associate
This is mostly down to a cost point. At the beginning the card was about 150 EUR more expensive then a ref card, if you then put another 20 buck on this the gap is really big between Ref and Classi.... As a result there is then the question is the performance gain you have with the classy compared to Ref 170EUR worth? A lot of people do really take a look for that and also lot of other manifacturer did catch up on the OC boards with aggresive price points...

Yeah I understand having been in the same position before. But one thing I don't understand is why that price gap is so big here in the UK/EU when compared to the classified cards in the US? Last time I checked in the us there was like a 60 dollar premium and yet here it's like a 150 premium

Associate
Pricing with the cards is pretty difficult because the cost for the components is soo unstable. We do always try to get the Samsung RAM Chips on the Classy cards and you probably know what that means... and also some of the power management components go always up and down with the price. With the beginning of a chip you can produce hughe qty while you need now to watch out to sell what you produce because if new gen will launch not many people will still be interested in 780 Classi cards... Only for a reduced price and selling cards with a loss is a bad business plan :) Can you let me know which models you exactly compared?

Associate
I can't say any competitor names but I guess I can say what the price is without getting banned on this forum.

Cheapest 780 ti in the UK: £450 (a zotac 780 ti oc)
Cheapest classi 780ti in UK: £570
Cheapest Kingpin 780ti in UK: £670

Price difference in the UK - £120 over a reference card for a classified (equivalent to 200$)
Price difference in the UK - £220 over a reference card for a kingpin (equivalent to 370$)

HOWEVER

In America, if you have a look at amazon (.com)

Cheapest 780ti: $670
Cheapest classified 780 ti: $710
Cheapest kingpin 780 ti : $800

Now see what I mean? The price difference in America is justifiable for the extra components, better vrm etc. but in the UK £120 and £220 premium for a classi and kingpin over the reference is mental! Fair enough there is %20 vat to pay in the uk but this needs to be paid for the reference cards too.

Those are just some observations I've made I always keep a close eye on pricing around the world.

Associate
Well generally in the US it is mostly about much bigger qty then here in Europe and the shipping cost to EU from Asia are much more expensive then to US. A boat to the US takes two weeks while it takes 6 weeks to us, same gap if it is about planes. Generally that gab is pretty big. In our online store the gap between ref and classy is 75 EUR and the one between classy and KP is another 75 EUR. So this would be 120GBP between Ref and KP. When you do a comparison like this you should also use a EVGA ref card but in that case it will probably not make much of a difference... Comparing pricing between EU and US is always pretty tough, at this end it do also matter how much it cost to run a business (buildings, employees, daily cost.... ) If you sum this up for us, the distry and the re/etailer the gap will also become smaller again. There are also hardcore warranty laws in Europe which need to get covered, the more expensive the model is the more cost we do have in replacing the units over a longer periode of time and specially the stores!!! In the US you often see 30 days warranty from the stores and the rest is down to the manifacturer. While you can here show up at least 1 year in the UK with the faulty product at the store and they need to take care, in germany those are two years... Lets say a card get faulty after half of a year the UK shop need to pay people who care about this and at least the shipping cost to us. lets just say 20 bucks for this, then this are 20 bucks the shop need to earn somehow while the store in the US do not need to care about... All in all EU/UK seller do not necessarily earn more money just because the gap is bigger...

Associate
Well generally in the US it is mostly about much bigger qty then here in Europe and the shipping cost to EU from Asia are much more expensive then to US. A boat to the US takes two weeks while it takes 6 weeks to us, same gap if it is about planes. Generally that gab is pretty big. In our online store the gap between ref and classy is 75 EUR and the one between classy and KP is another 75 EUR. So this would be 120GBP between Ref and KP. When you do a comparison like this you should also use a EVGA ref card but in that case it will probably not make much of a difference... Comparing pricing between EU and US is always pretty tough, at this end it do also matter how much it cost to run a business (buildings, employees, daily cost.... ) If you sum this up for us, the distry and the re/etailer the gap will also become smaller again. There are also hardcore warranty laws in Europe which need to get covered, the more expensive the model is the more cost we do have in replacing the units over a longer periode of time and specially the stores!!! In the US you often see 30 days warranty from the stores and the rest is down to the manifacturer. While you can here show up at least 1 year in the UK with the faulty product at the store and they need to take care, in germany those are two years... Lets say a card get faulty after half of a year the UK shop need to pay people who care about this and at least the shipping cost to us. lets just say 20 bucks for this, then this are 20 bucks the shop need to earn somehow while the store in the US do not need to care about... All in all EU/UK seller do not necessarily earn more money just because the gap is bigger...

Fair enough, I never knew there were so many variables that come into play in the EU and that drives the costs up but I still feel retailers in the UK are ripping customers apart.

Associate
Well, they do also need to prepare themselve to survive the whole warranty periode, also if they do not sell new cards... Will also not help if they make a superawsome price on products and go bankrupped within 3 month, then the good price you paied is also not that good anymore :) specially with the UK, we have crazy shipping costs from germany, other manifacturer have their RMA base in east Europe which makes it even more expensive.. I can understand your point if you just review the price of the product but things in the EU and even more in the UK can become really complicated and companys do also still want to earn some money...

Associate
Hello

I have this problem:
I have 2 780s SC, both are watercooled. One recently started artefacting heavily and died - not due to temps it was idling at 27-29 and 40-44 under heavy load. This is already second 780 that have same issue, I guess it's a corrupted memory. But now is funny thing. Second card have lower stock speeds, despite being same model ( evga gtx 780 sc w/ acx ). This one had higher and died within a month. Not sure if this is related.
Anyway, I will send it for replacement/fix under warranty and hooe all goes well, because it's already second one.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi Dom you posted this in other thread (regarding 780TI 6Gb):

Out of interested is this strictly down to a business decision by the board partners themselves or does such a card need to be sanctioned by Nvidia first before you can produce it?

On some GPU types the board partners can do as they wish. But on a 780Ti that would need NVIDIA approval as a 6GB 780Ti would kill NVIDIA's market on Titan Black.

Hence why its not happened.

Associate
Dominik, Ive just bought two EVGA titan blacks and my intent was to buy the extended warranty when registering them

and to water cool them including a back plate , upon opening the box I see a sticker on the pcb with the serial number and a message saying *warranty void if removed* is it safe to leave this sticker on there when I put on the back plate, id imagine that would be a fire hazard?

Associate
Hi guys, Ive been a massive, massive plonker and managed to accidentally cut through a mobo cable when trying to do some sleeving.

How do I go about obtaining a replacement mobo power cable?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom