• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
GBP is plummeting to new lows., about to hit the 1.2X range.
The currency crahs is even was than i feared.

Only solution is to get a PM with a backbone to stand up for what is best for Britain and formally announce that no Article 50 will be signed.

The way the referendum was timed, termed and presented to the public, was a terrible mistake and a critical oversight on the Prime Minister's part. A vote as critically important as this, should have been termed in such a way that a result would need to meet certain criteria in order to be considered democratically binding and in the event that these criteria were not met, that the result be considered in a non-binding, advisory capacity and subject to ratification through an act of parliament.

This would have accounted for the level of discontent in society, that was entirely predictable owing to a prolonged period of austerity, out of recovery from the recession. It was politically reckless and naive of the Prime Minister, to have not predicted the extent to which the public have used their vote, in protest against the establishment.

Maybe if it had been termed thus :-

Referendum will be considered binding if the following criteria are met :-

1... All UK states achieve majority consensus.
2... Referendum turnout attains a minimum of 70%.
3... Winning vote attains a clear 10% margin.

Otherwise, referendum will be considered in an advisory capacity and subject to a vote in the house.

That way, you don't divide the country by its borders and risk further devolution or outright independence, as the case may well be with Scotland. You can be sure that enough people care about the matter being put to the vote, for action to be conducive with public disposition and you ensure not to create enduring opposition, friction and division within society in the event of a narrow margin.

I would dearly like there to be a way for parliament to at least partially undo this mistake, as you said, stand up for what is best for Britain and not go through with this, at least not until there has been substantial debate in the house, as to determine whether it is TRULY in the peoples' interest. But given the way the referendum was termed, I'm not sure it's democratically possible, it's certainly not possible without causing a major political ruckus.

Sterling, is crashing more quickly than I expected it to, the only positive aspect of what is happening, is that post recession, the economy has become more resilient. As I understand it, three major property investors have suspended trading in the UK already, although I'm fuzzy on the details.

Soldato
Exit voters don't need electricity, they can wrap themselves in their St. George flags content in the knowledge that they're being screwed over by British politicians.

Soldato
People need to stop supporting it. I can drop £400 right now on a 1070 but I simply don't want to support the farse. £300 is my upper limit of what I'm prepared to pay.

Tldr I wish more people were like me, I'm amazing!
I bought my 1080 because there was no way I was going wait around for months for prices to drop while struggling to play games at 3440x1440 with a 3GB GPU...;)

Associate
And you deserve it old bean! But for me I'd rather not support the price. Nothing against those that want to buy one and enjoy it. People having fun is good!:cool:

Soldato
Exit voters don't need electricity, they can wrap themselves in their St. George flags content in the knowledge that they're being screwed over by British politicians.

Still them actually living in the UK (British Politicians). We can hunt them down and stone them. We need to let things settle first, plus Brussels is too much of a walk carrying a sack of ball bearings)

Soldato
Generally you get the best cost per day of ownership if you buy at launch, rather than waiting.

Buying a new card well after it's launch (unless it's an eol bargain) is a sign of failure. :)

Associate
The way the referendum was timed, termed and presented to the public, was a terrible mistake and a critical oversight on the Prime Minister's part. A vote as critically important as this, should have been termed in such a way that a result would need to meet certain criteria in order to be considered democratically binding and in the event that these criteria were not met, that the result be considered in a non-binding, advisory capacity and subject to ratification through an act of parliament.

Yeah, sod democracy in it's entirety, let's just ignore the majority vote and remain in the EU.

Someone pointed it out earlier in this thread - and I agree entirely - that it's always the same with price hikes when value of pound sterling falls, yet no price drops are given when it gains strength. Add to that NVIDIA's own tax, and Intel's of course, and we are getting ripped off left, right and center.

And people are wary of what will happen to prices if AMD go under - it's already happening with them around.

Soldato
This isn't a niche market anymore, unfortunately. it's become much larger, and the nasty marketing tricks and increased demand are par for the course. It's less fun for it. But I find once I plug my card in and start playing games again, particularly non new AAA titles, I soon forget about all the bs.

Soldato
I voted out on the referendum due to immigration badly affecting my area, it was a protest vote and I never expected out to win the vote, my dad was shocked also, we both agreed if was another referendum we would vote in.

But back on topic I admit these 980ti's are tempting, the pricepoint is nice, but I am 50/50 on getting one because the power draw is higher than I ideally want from a gpu (my psu is lower than 600w also), and I know the 1070s will get cheaper at some point, just dont know when, although with the GBP value how it is it may be a while to ever see 1070s at 970 pricing levels.

My 970 I got a terrible binned chip, and I mean terrible, I had to bios mod the card to get it even stable, it was crashing at shipped clocks (I know should have RMA'd), plus the speeds throttled heavily due to hitting power cap, so in its shipped state the card was sold as 1367 boost by EVGA, and it would throttle down when under stress to about 1230mhz (this is a card supposedbly easy to hit 1.5ghz), I made the car dstable by uprating the voltage a couple of levels for each bin, however if this was the only change I made then the achieved clocks would be even lower so I also raised the power draw limit, the 170 watt card I purchased is now a 250 watt card, so with that in mind it is on par with a 980ti already on power draw. With my mods for quite a while it could hold 1468mhz under heavy load stable, but now its had voltage degredation and I have had to bump up the voltages another couple of notches and this time I was not prepared to pump more watts through it so now my max stable clock is 1455.

At 1080p the card is ok, but about half a year ago I got myself a 1440p monitor, and the card is inadequate for 1440p hence my desire to upgrade.

(I didnt buy the 970 from ocuk). Was purchased before I used OCUK at all.

So for me its either grab a 980 ti at 350 notes, or wait for a 1070 to fall to that pricepoint, which I think will be at least 3-6 months. A 1060 wont be an upgrade.

Associate
I am amazed how people think that we should change democracy to favour one side over the other.

This vote was based on every single persons vote the most democratic it can possibly be there was no biased voting because of who would win the area like in the general election and even if leave or remain won by 100 votes that would be fair.

The current dip the pound has taken is actually down to oil and other commodites taking a 5%+ down turn.

G J

G J

Associate
Correct me if I'm wrong but this has happened to a lot of GPU releases lately that after the initial stock has been sold there's usually a price increase that follows after.

This isn't really anything different from the norm.

Gone are the days the people used to laugh at people for paying the early adopters tax :p

Associate
Saw this this morning - shame Dunelm Mill don't sell Gfx cards...

John Browett said:
"Obviously it will feed through to prices if it stays at these low levels, but most companies will be hedged out for six to 12 months - we certainly are for the next 12 months, in fact even 18 months - so you don't see an immediate increase in prices," he tells Wake up to Money.

Associate
Yeah, sod democracy in it's entirety, let's just ignore the majority vote and remain in the EU.

In my defense, I did say that I don't think it's democratically possible, although it would be legal. The point I was trying to make, is the way the referendum was termed, has had some undemocratic consequences, which will have negative long term implications. Because of this, the government should have been far more careful with it.

Someone pointed it out earlier in this thread - and I agree entirely - that it's always the same with price hikes when value of pound sterling falls, yet no price drops are given when it gains strength. Add to that NVIDIA's own tax, and Intel's of course, and we are getting ripped off left, right and center.

It's the same in any kind of commercial arrangement though, prices fall much more slowly than they rise, whether it's right or wrong is one argument, if indeed there's a place for moral arguments in commerce, but nobody can deny that it's commercially effective.

And people are wary of what will happen to prices if AMD go under - it's already happening with them around.

The GPU market, medically needs greater competition at all tiers, though I'd feel more nervous about AMD if they hadn't achieved what they did with their console APUs. People continue to be willing to pay a lot of money for performance hardware, so manufacturers will continue to do it, I would if I were a graphics card vendor and people were willing to pay as much as they are. The 480 didn't exactly turn out the dead cert 980 alternative that people were expecting it to be either, which is a shame, because it could have been the perfect "tide me over to 4k" card if it had. Hopefully, driver maturity can help in this direction a bit, but the PCIe power issue isn't going to make it as easy as it should've been. I'm still on a 7970, which I picked up here when AMD rebranded, but it's struggling now. :(

I voted out on the referendum due to immigration badly affecting my area, it was a protest vote and I never expected out to win the vote, my dad was shocked also, we both agreed if was another referendum we would vote in.

I know a few people who did the same thing, voted in protest, either without realizing how close it would be, or in some cases, without being aware that the result would be democratically binding.

So for me its either grab a 980 ti at 350 notes, or wait for a 1070 to fall to that pricepoint, which I think will be at least 3-6 months. A 1060 wont be an upgrade.

I would say the 980TI looks pretty good in that position to be honest, they're both close at 1440p, frame rates are mostly good enough to hit 60fps and with greater overclocking headroom, the 980TI can either close the gap, or pull ahead.

I don't believe that 1070 prices are coming down much any time soon, I'd have said they might have done within the time frame you specified as inventories fill out, but as Sterling devalues further and stock rotates, it could potentially neutralize any reduction. The economy is unlikely to imrpove in the near future and depending on the terms of the exit, could potentially take another dive thereafter.

A positive aspect for people who picked up 1070s and 1080s at launch, in the event they plan to upgrade again to a single GPU 4k solution next year, is that increasing prices will hold onto some resale value for them.

So I'd say buy the 980TI while you're spoiled for choice and before stock dries up. Otherwise, you might find yourself 6 months down the line with far fewer options.

Associate
The price increases are hitting hobby stores too. As soon as any importer needs to pay for stock that is normally priced in dollars, it's going to bump in price.

Originally posted on the Orcs Nest facebook page:

BAD NEWS ABOUT PRICE CHANGES:
Because of the fall in the value of Sterling against the Dollar following the vote to leave the EU, the large game importers, who pay for their games in dollars, have already increased the trade and retail prices of many games across their whole ranges by around ten to twenty percent.
We will keep the prices on our existing stock at pre Brexit levels while stocks last but when we have to order new stock in our prices will have to go up in line with the new retail prices.
It is expected that prices will also rise on European games as the pound has also fallen against the Euro.
If you are thinking of buying a game it may be a good idea to get it now before prices inevitably rise over the next few weeks.

Soldato
Frankly I think it's a matter of time before Intel release a Dedicated GPU. It will not have gone unnoticed that Nvidia have no competition at the medium and high end. It's money for the taking. If Intel don't. Someone will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom