Greenlizard0 PL Football Thread Final Day ** spoilers ** [26th July 2020]

Caporegime
Points isnt a factor? Ofcourse it is. City and Liverpool walked it last year aswell so why is this any different?

Man United won the League with 79 points in 1999 and lost 4 times all season in all competetions. They won the Treble that season. The facination with points in the premier league I think was Klopps downfall this season or maybe the 30 year wait had them nervous and he just wanted to make sure. The League was done for Liverpool by January. They could have easily rested players in the league and gone for cups but he didn't.

I honestly do not understand it. You win a title you get a medal. If you get 100 points or 80 it makes no difference in the end as it is entirely dependent on the competition in the league at the time. The only thing that does is winning silverware. Cities domestic treble was arguably better than their 100 point season.

We got the same points total this season as the last but we took a risk and ditched so much deadwood in the summer and Ole has pulled it off. The backbone is now established and ready to be built upon. Average age of the team is really low so you have a decade+ in a lot of the current first eleven.

Don
This Utd chat is getting a bit mad. Nobody can deny that Utd have had a much improved last third of the season but before we even bother to add any context to it, how many times has this happened in the past. It wasn't that long ago we had Spurs fans saying if the League was January to December they'd have won the League because they ended x season and started y season in such great form. It counts for nothing. This isn't the first good 3 months Utd have had in the past 6 years. In fact in Ole's first 12 games they picked up points at an even greater rate than they ended this season and despite spending £200m+ they're still no closer to the top than when he took over.

Utd have got to prove that they can perform consistently well over 38 games, not for a few months here and there. At the moment this is a Utd side that when everything is going well and everything is going their way (and my god has everything gone their way) that they'll perform.
..points chat..

You've missed the point, no pun intended. Of course points matter. The only thing you can control is how many points you pick up, where you finish in the final table then rests on what others do. Yes, it turns out that Liverpool could have won the title with 85 points but we didn't know that 5 months ago, in the same way Utd didn't know that 66 points would have got them 3rd. I'm sure if all I could guarantee you was picking up 66 points this season, you're neither taking it or believing it was enough to finish top 4.

Liverpool have ended up picking up a points total that would have meant that it was nigh on impossible for anybody to catch us, guaranteeing we won the title. Utd haven't finished 3rd purely as a consequence of how good a season they've had though, they've had to rely on numerous teams doing slightly worse - the difference between Utd finishing 3rd and 5th was just 1 extra win for Leicester and Chelsea. Utd could have performed identically to how they have and very easily finished 5th.

Maguire is far better on the ball which is what we need going forward.
That's a terrifying thing to say, was Smalling that bad or has Maguire somehow become Beckenbauer? :p

Maguire is a decent enough CB that would have his place in most squads in the League, if you were playing a certain way. He's not the main CB at any side winning the League though and he's not playing for a side that defends on the half way line either.

Don
I'm sure you are more than familiar with Utd fans year after year mocking Liverpool saying 'Next year's your year' Not sure how that would even need explaining.
We had a very prominent Utd supporting member that every season used to joke about having a load of Liverpool title winning merchadise stored up to sell, waiting for "our year". He's not been seen since Utd became **** but I hope he's made a killing this summer.

Soldato
This Utd chat is getting a bit mad. Nobody can deny that Utd have had a much improved last third of the season but before we even bother to add any context to it, how many times has this happened in the past. It wasn't that long ago we had Spurs fans saying if the League was January to December they'd have won the League because they ended x season and started y season in such great form. It counts for nothing. This isn't the first good 3 months Utd have had in the past 6 years. In fact in Ole's first 12 games they picked up points at an even greater rate than they ended this season and despite spending £200m+ they're still no closer to the top than when he took over.

Utd have got to prove that they can perform consistently well over 38 games, not for a few months here and there. At the moment this is a Utd side that when everything is going well and everything is going their way (and my god has everything gone their way) that they'll perform.

You've missed the point, no pun intended. Of course points matter. The only thing you can control is how many points you pick up, where you finish in the final table then rests on what others do. Yes, it turns out that Liverpool could have won the title with 85 points but we didn't know that 5 months ago, in the same way Utd didn't know that 66 points would have got them 3rd. I'm sure if all I could guarantee you was picking up 66 points this season, you're neither taking it or believing it was enough to finish top 4.

Liverpool have ended up picking up a points total that would have meant that it was nigh on impossible for anybody to catch us, guaranteeing we won the title. Utd haven't finished 3rd purely as a consequence of how good a season they've had though, they've had to rely on numerous teams doing slightly worse - the difference between Utd finishing 3rd and 5th was just 1 extra win for Leicester and Chelsea. Utd could have performed identically to how they have and very easily finished 5th.

That's a terrifying thing to say, was Smalling that bad or has Maguire somehow become Beckenbauer? :p

Maguire is a decent enough CB that would have his place in most squads in the League, if you were playing a certain way. He's not the main CB at any side winning the League though and he's not playing for a side that defends on the half way line either.

That video from last week against Chelsea with Maguire still makes me laugh. If that's good on the ball then wowser.

For me Maguire is Liverpools Lovren. He's 3rd / 4th choice for any team looking to win major honours. I've seen a lot of people say how good he is positionally but ive seen him caught out a number of times this season. Morgan had a free shot 10 yards out at the weekend...where on earth were the cbs?

Soldato
i don't post here often but find it astonishing just how much effort Liverpool fans are putting into talking about United. I guess after 30 years of not winning the league they forgot how to enjoy it ;)

Don
i don't post here often but find it astonishing just how much effort Liverpool fans are putting into talking about United. I guess after 30 years of not winning the league they forgot how to enjoy it ;)
It's a discussion forum and the topic being discussed is Utd and was started by a Utd supporter ;)

Don
Fair point about discussion forum. Yet it's only Liverpool fans (as far as I can see) that get involved. :p
Utd and Liverpool supporters do make up for about 50% of the active posters we have in here and the debate did start with a comparison between Ole and Klopp so it's fairly understandable.

Caporegime
OP
post 246, first sentence.

He said we'd have more points without injuries and with Bruno for the whole season. He didn't say anything about next year being our year. He then went on to say we'd have more years of being around top 4. Perhaps you need to read the post again.

Back
Top Bottom