• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTAV performance thread.

Associate
Had a quick play around earlier with VSR. Upped the res as high as it could goto, 3200 x 1800, added Fxaa and turned off msaa, and it got rid of a lot of jaggies.

Usually play at 1080p with 8xAA, and it definitely looked sharper like this. Didn't seem to have any negative impact either as the FPS stayed the same. That's using 3x 290s so might have more spare oomph than others but could be worth a go for some folk.

Also noticed that gpu usage is much steadier now after doing comparible runs of the two settings. Quite often a card or two is maxed out for a period of time, where as before it simply spiked and dropped.

Soldato
That's better.

Was that with every setting maxed bar AA?

Vinewood sign isn't where I see the lowest framerate though to be fair, it's the fields in the areas further north where it really plummets.

I can confirm this as well using nvidia gear. Those fields to the north between the city and the desert gets very brutal very quick if grass is set to anything but normal.

Associate
Got my 970 today! just popped it in and the difference is amazing compared to my crossfire 6950s i had! soo smooth!

but then i got a crash for the first time?

ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT Crash

any word on what this may be?

I am also getting this crash regularly as well as a couple of other crashes. This specific crash says I should re-download and reinstall the game.

Using a Titan X OCd to 1350 core at 3440x1440. I'm also using increased FOV via Flawless Widescreen.

For now I'll try removing the overclock. If that doesn't work I'll remove the FOV increase. And if that doesn't work I'll reinstall the game.

My settings are:

FXAA OFF
MSAA ON x2 with TXAA ON
Population Density,Variety and Distance Scaling - 100%
Texture Quality - Very High
Shader Quality - Very High
Shadow Quality - Very High
Reflection Quality - Very High
Reflection MSAA - X2
Water Quality - Very High
Particle Quality - Very High
Grass Quality - Normal
Soft Shadows - Softest
Post FX - Normal
AF - x16
Ambient Occlusion - Normal
Tesselation - Normal

Long shadows - ON
High Detail When Flying - ON
All other advanced settings OFF

Last edited:
Soldato
I am also getting this crash regularly as well as a couple of other crashes. This specific crash says I should re-download and reinstall the game.

Using a Titan X OCd to 1350 core at 3440x1440. I'm also using increased FOV via Flawless Widescreen.

For now I'll try removing the overclock. If that doesn't work I'll remove the FOV increase. And if that doesn't work I'll reinstall the game.

My settings are:

FXAA OFF
MSAA ON x2 with TXAA ON
Reflection Quality - Very High
Reflection MSAA - X2
Grass Quality - Normal
Soft Shadows - Softest
Post FX - Normal
AF - x16
Tesselation - Normal

Long shadows - ON
High Detail When Flying - ON
All other advanced settings OFF

I had that error on my 980 a couple of times. it stopped doing it after a random patch.

Ive got the problem now where both my 290x's usage drops to 0% and getting stutter. actually making the game unplayable at the moment

Associate
I had that error on my 980 a couple of times. it stopped doing it after a random patch.

Ive got the problem now where both my 290x's usage drops to 0% and getting stutter. actually making the game unplayable at the moment

I found that the crashes were due to my overclock, which I reduced a bit.

I am also having this usage drop stutter. Although I wasn't yesterday... will try tinkering a bit.

Soldato
I found that the crashes were due to my overclock, which I reduced a bit.

I am also having this usage drop stutter. Although I wasn't yesterday... will try tinkering a bit.

Im running stock speeds atm. Just looked at the usage and its swapping usage between cards ones at 100% other at 0% and they will swap over.

Soldato
I'm finding I get random moments of sudden stutter where it dips from the usual 60fps to 20 or even single figures for no reason at all. Then back up to 60fps in the same area

Do you think this is down to my video memory being exceeded by 1gb+ ?
I have GTX670 SLI but only 2gb vram and play at 1440p with very high textures

Soldato
I'm finding I get random moments of sudden stutter where it dips from the usual 60fps to 20 or even single figures for no reason at all. Then back up to 60fps in the same area

Run gpuz and see how much vram ur using if its maxed then more than likely.

tried disabling crossfire and stuttering seems to go. gpu usage still drops a little but no 0%

Last edited:
Associate
I seem to have fixed my GPU usage stutter by restoring my Nvidia control panel global settings to default with only V-Sync on.

I had power management mode to maximum preferred as well as triple buffering and threaded optimisation on, all of which are now at their default setting.

Nvidia V-Sync is awesome, no tearing with way less input lag than in game V-Sync. I'm going to use it with all my games.

Ovr

Ovr

Associate
I'm running crossfire 290X's and have been getting screen freezes for around 1-2seconds whilst the audio continues.....this happens at complete random and doesn't seem to follow any pattern of temperatures, o/c or stock etc. There is no display driver has stopped working either (it feels like that sort of moment, but it's....not) - has anyone else experienced this? I've only been running the latest GTA V beta driver.

Note: This probably happens every few minutes to once every half hour...completely random!

Soldato

Sounds very much like vram limit being hit

Associate
[email protected], 2gb 5850

1600x900..vsync on...4x aa..normal settings...30 fps in benchmark
all four cores fully utilised but never more than 91%..so cpu still holding up 8 years on.
do need to turn off my VMs mind you...

maybe i will hold out until the gpu process shrink...dx12 lie of land is a bit clearer...

Soldato
posted this in the GTA thread

My crashes away happen with a 100% GPU spike either a cut scene or between races or missions. so I will finish the mission and then it crashes...

PBiQikI.jpg

This crash was after completing a race.

My CTD is failed initialization....

This happened twice last night and I keep getting a message to say that I am going to be a bad sport if I exit a race... :(

However always the same 100% spike and a frame rime of over 160ms

My settings are

FXAA OFF
MSAA ON x4 with TXAA ON
Reflection Quality - Ultra
Reflection MSAA - Off
Grass Quality - Normal
Soft Shadows - Softest
Post FX - Normal
AF - x16
Tesselation - Very high

Soldato
I'm getting weird running issues while running SLI 680's. Flickering textures is one of them but also the whole screen flashes black whenever there is bright light for instance when the exhaust on a car shoots a flame, the screen will flash black.

Anyone else had this issue? Played around with the settings but still no luck!

Back
Top Bottom