• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Man of Honour
all I did was
1.open GFE
2. Look at their Optimal settings (ones suggested by GFE) it just shows your resolution no DSR symbol.
3. click the resolution itself & up pops a box with the resolutions Select the resolution higher that yours, apply it

run game. if you see my video you'll see that its in 4K I only have a 2560x1080 monitor & Afterburner states 99% on both cores

hope it helps

I have 10 minute shadowplay video proving the gfx setting 4K maxed I can upload that tonight if you wish

I sort if did that, but I was clicking on the spanner icon and I could only choose resolutions upto my monitor's maximum. After I disable SLI I could choose higher ones.

I'll try just clicking on the resolution when I try agin.

Man of Honour
Bottom card stays at around 56, top card initially is 10 degrees hotter. But the top fan runs a little quicker after a while and brings it down a few degrees.

When I had one card in the PC it overclocked to give 1500Mhz boost on stock volts and auto fan. I tried he same overclock in SLI and the PC locked up.

I didn't bother trying any lower clocks, just run then at stock speeds for now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
PCPer Live! NVIDIA Maxwell, GTX 980, GTX 970 Discussion with Tom Petersen, Q&A

Last week NVIDIA launched GM204, otherwise known as Maxwell and now branded as the GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 graphics cards. You should, of course, have already read the PC Perspective review of these two GPUs, but undoubtedly there are going to be questions and thoughts circulating through the industry.

View Full Size
To help the community get a better grasp and to offer them an opportunity to ask some questions, NVIDIA's Tom Petersen is stopping by our offices on Thursday afternoon where he will run through some demonstrations and take questions from the live streaming audience.

Be sure to stop back at PC Perspective on Thursday, September 25th at 4pm ET / 1pm PT to discuss the new Maxwell GPU, the GTX 980 and GTX 970, new features like Dynamic Super Resolution, MFAA, VXGI and more!

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...ll-GTX-980-GTX-970-Discussion-Tom-Petersen-QA

Could be useful for those on the fence and not sure if they should buy or not.

Soldato
Not sandwiched but

image by barmyllama, on Flickr

image by barmyllama, on Flickr
Hey, I'm just curious, I take it your running the cards in the first two PCI-E slots? Can you run SLI with the Graphics cards in the 1st and 3rd PCI-E slots running at x8/x8?

I could do with a Z97 motherboard that will enable me to use 2 PCI-E x1 slots that's all. :)

7b5db0v.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Apparently not

nd yet it still sounds like MSI is getting around the PCIe limits of some competitors in its x16 slots. That's because the bottom slot steals four lanes from the middle slot. Nvidia insists its cards need at least x8 for SLI, so using the bottom slot could prevent the top and middle slots from supporting SLI. MSI could have instead made the bottom slot x1/x4 switchable to support slower cards without that issue, but its documentation says it didn’t. Those limitations effectively make it a non-SLI graphics slot, whether those cards are used for CrossFire, an OpenCL-oriented accelerator, or just a massive wall of displays.

Soldato
The bottom PCI-E would work in crossfire for x8/x4/x4, what im saying is using 2 Nvidia cards just using the 1st and 3rd full length PCI-E slots at x8/x8, that would then free up an extra PCI_E4 x1 slot as well as the PCI_E1 slot that's always free.

The way that sounded it was if it was trying to explain why 3 Nvidia cards cannot be used due to the limitation of x8/x8 being the mininum for SLI to be used.

Not sure I explained that okay... lol :)

I'll write on the MSI forums and find out. :)

Back
Top Bottom