Gwent: The Witcher Card Game

Soldato
So I went back to NR, specifically Radovid control. Which I loved playing before the Christmas patch hit that nerfed it into oblivion. Now with everyone trying to buff their units. A strong control deck is more than viable.

I am Rank 13 at the moment but had dropped about 400 MMR experimenting with NG. Clawed it all back last night playing this deck:

My NR Control Deck

The Termarian foot soliders and Reaver Hunters thin the deck themselves nicely. This in combo with Baron + Lubberkin buff is strong.

Yennefer Conjurer is pretty much broken at the moment. If you can play her in long rounds, she does soooo much damage. I've won like 4 games after passing the 1st round and the opponent miscalculating that he can beat me in 1 card because Yennefer procs again. She can also hit multiple units if they are all at the same highest strength.

My hardest opponent are Monster consume decks and I might need to tweak this deck to specifically counter them.

Soldato
This is so damn addictive. :eek:

Been playing it a lot the past week and it's a lot of fun.

I decided to mill all factions apart from Skellige (I won't do this after the wipe but I wanted to have enough scrap to build a more advanced deck for one faction) and have built up a nice bear/axeman/spectral whale deck. Still developing it as there are some cars synergies I'd rather have.

Also it's working towards a Skellige weather deck which does require a stupid amount of scrap investment for the right cards...

Associate
I got an invite last week and have been playing since. It is very good fun.

One thing I was wondering though; I am still low level (7 I think), and am just using the one deck - Northern Realm. I am building this up and pretty much ignoring the other decks. My question is, if I go up levels, and then switch decks, won't I be very under powered for my level? What I mean is, I will essentially have a starter deck, but be paired against players of my level that have had time to develop their decks.

Does that make sense?

Also, @ColdAsIce, is the Prince Stennis card good? Giving away 12 points for a random card doesn't seem worth it? Of course, I am probably missing something here. :)

Thanks.

Soldato
I got an invite last week and have been playing since. It is very good fun.

One thing I was wondering though; I am still low level (7 I think), and am just using the one deck - Northern Realm. I am building this up and pretty much ignoring the other decks. My question is, if I go up levels, and then switch decks, won't I be very under powered for my level? What I mean is, I will essentially have a starter deck, but be paired against players of my level that have had time to develop their decks.

Does that make sense?

Also, @ColdAsIce, is the Prince Stennis card good? Giving away 12 points for a random card doesn't seem worth it? Of course, I am probably missing something here. :)

Thanks.

Hey Shahpor, yes you will have a weak deck if you change and can only produce the starter deck. I don't think the game will compensate for that fact either (Match making improvements are due for change when the game hits open beta) Certainly when you hit ranked you should try and play your most effective deck.

As for Stennis, he is a NR spy. Every faction has at least 1 spy and they are used to give you card advantage. Ideally you want to win the 1st round and hold onto Stennis for the 2nd round. Most cases you will be ready to throw away round 2 but you can still bleed the opponent of cards.

1. The opponent cannot afford to pass so they have to keep playing cards until you stop
  2. When you play Stennis, you draw a card. So you can see that this gives card advantage
I might try and grind that last Rank badge 15 at the weekend.

Soldato
Takes forever to get scraps! I need a few more 800 cards for my deck and it's very tedious waiting. Kegs always give me garbage :/

Great game though, really love it.

Associate
Hey Shahpor, yes you will have a weak deck if you change and can only produce the starter deck. I don't think the game will compensate for that fact either (Match making improvements are due for change when the game hits open beta) Certainly when you hit ranked you should try and play your most effective deck.

As for Stennis, he is a NR spy. Every faction has at least 1 spy and they are used to give you card advantage. Ideally you want to win the 1st round and hold onto Stennis for the 2nd round. Most cases you will be ready to throw away round 2 but you can still bleed the opponent of cards.

1. The opponent cannot afford to pass so they have to keep playing cards until you stop
  2. When you play Stennis, you draw a card. So you can see that this gives card advantage
I might try and grind that last Rank badge 15 at the weekend.

Thanks for that, very helpful :)

Well, I suppose I will stick to my Northern Realms deck for now and hope this is addressed in future updates.

I see what you mean about Stennis. Might give him a go.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Rank badge 15?

Soldato
Thanks for that, very helpful :)

Well, I suppose I will stick to my Northern Realms deck for now and hope this is addressed in future updates.

I see what you mean about Stennis. Might give him a go.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Rank badge 15?

Every 200 or so MMR rating also corresponds to a Rank badge that offer rewards. So you can see from here https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/5jexv4/level_up_rewards_table/ you get rewards for the level of your account and also the level of rank you can achieve.

This season the highest rank that can be reached is 15. I hit it last night after using a very popular streamers deck.

Soldato
Pretty unfair statement considering how easy it is to get Kegs and scrap by playing completely for free. Of course at a slower rate than those that go and spend a bunch of cash on kegs that keep the game alive and supported :)

Kegs maybe, not sure on scraps, it's taking me forever :p But yeah it's a bit of a harsh statement as I think I've got one very good deck with 35 hours played and no kegs bought. Granted, that's just one deck (Scoia'tel) which is good. My NR deck is decent but lacking some of the 800 scrap cards to play the current metas. I guess buying kegs would let you focus on multiple decks but you can definitely get a good deck in a short time by simply playing.

Associate
Every 200 or so MMR rating also corresponds to a Rank badge that offer rewards. So you can see from here https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/5jexv4/level_up_rewards_table/ you get rewards for the level of your account and also the level of rank you can achieve.

This season the highest rank that can be reached is 15. I hit it last night after using a very popular streamers deck.

I see. Thanks for explaining.

I am struggling at the moment :( I like playing Northern Realms, even though I have read that it is not a great deck to play at the moment.

The problem I am having is lack of synergy. My deck is disjointed, so sometimes it works out and sometimes the hand I get dealt is a mess. I am not very good at deck building, so unless something changes, this game is going to get very frustrating very quickly, which is a shame. :(

Soldato
I see. Thanks for explaining.

I am struggling at the moment :( I like playing Northern Realms, even though I have read that it is not a great deck to play at the moment.

The problem I am having is lack of synergy. My deck is disjointed, so sometimes it works out and sometimes the hand I get dealt is a mess. I am not very good at deck building, so unless something changes, this game is going to get very frustrating very quickly, which is a shame. :(

Post your deck. I'm sure a few on here can give you some pointers to build on.

Soldato
I realise you are probably missing a few cards but these replacements should be easily craftable and I think this would be a much more consistent deck.

http://www.gwentdb.com/deckbuilder/...:2:1;50060:3:3;50064:2:3;50197:4:1;50202:3:1;

Temerian Foot soldier are amazing at thinning your deck and provide consistency
3 x Kaedweni Siege support as they are easily one of the highest value NR bronze card offering 9 strength value.
Ballista more consistent at hitting targets and should ensure proccing Iris
Teched in a frost card because apart from the cow, you don;t have anything in the melee row, so you can counter monster consume/dwarfs and skellige decks for 1 round at least.

Associate
That is brilliant. Thank you very much for the help.

I don't think I have access to all the cards you listed, but I will work on getting the ones I don't have made.

Do you think it is a good idea to mill all the cards in another faction for scraps considering there is going to be a reset at some point in the beta anyway?

Soldato
That is brilliant. Thank you very much for the help.

I don't think I have access to all the cards you listed, but I will work on getting the ones I don't have made.

Do you think it is a good idea to mill all the cards in another faction for scraps considering there is going to be a reset at some point in the beta anyway?

I would maybe mill one faction you are 100% not interested in playing but we could easily get another 6-8 weeks before open beta maybe longer. So don't screw yourself up playing 1 faction only.

Do you have Stennis by the way?

Associate
Well, I tried the new deck and my win ratio definite improved, so thanks for that. :)

I do have Stennis.

I milled one deck and am up to 650 scraps. I should have 800 soon.

Any suggestions on what to craft and which card to replace?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom