***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Caporegime
I joined a gym in December and been really enjoying it.

Has anyone got any tips on a workout? I am usually spending around 10 mins on a stairmaster 15 on a rowing machine and the rest on machines such as the chest press.

Had a personal trainer session last week and pretty much got shown the same stuff.

Not sure if it's worth another 30 for another session.

Ask in the Gym Rats thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18474510

And read this: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18474510

Soldato
Looks fine - slow, but I understand why.

Not sure why you bother setting up from the top as you go on to hinge mid back as you grab the bar...?
Old habits I guess, I feel that if I start out with my back as flat as possible, even though it breaks I have less to wind back in! Maybe this will change as I become more mobile.

Will pepper you tomorrow Syla5, video isn't loading properly on my broken interwebs

Look forward to it as that will be nicely in time for a Wednesday DL session :)

Soldato
I'm about 2 months into my Stronglifts 5x5 program. First time I've ever regularly gone to the gym and loving it so far. Started with the empty 20kg barbell and been working from there.

I'm having problems with the Barbell row. I know I'm supposed to let the barbell return to the floor each time but I'm having trouble with it hitting my chest, and only seem to be able to get it halfway or 3/4 to my chest. Is this just a case of lowering the weight until I can do it properly and working from there? I'm on 40kg at the moment and stalling. It's quite annoying as I'm going past this weight in my bench press already and I know I should be doing a lot heavier barbells compared by this time already.

I'm also stalling on adding weight to my overhead presses. I'm around 25-27kg and I just can't seem to add any more weight to complete the sets. Is it ok to just stall at this weight for a few weeks until my arms become stronger and I'm able to add more weight? I feel like I'm progressing about 1kg to the overhead presses each session compared to the 2.5 I'm supposed to be adding.

My squats and deadlifts are going great though. In the last month I've gone from struggling with 40kg to doing 60kg yesterday for the first time without my effort. Looking forward to going upto 65kg next week.

Thanks for any advice.

You will stall, its natural you just have to keep plugging away increase rep range or do more excerises outside of lifts to get the muscles strong.
On my bench I stalled at 60KG for weeks, then did some dumbbell work to strengthen (db press, front raises, laterals) and found I got over it easy and now currently at a 100kg stall (for like 2 months now :mad: 3x5 no problem, 5x5 and my muscles literally give up on me)

I know the general rule is a small increment of weight for each session - but you have to understand that its very hard to maintain once you body starts to get to used to what your putting it through and you will need to switch it up for that shock factor.

Bodybuilding.com are currently doing a series of science videos that I would recommend you watch. They go into a lot of detail about the muscle groups and the exercises that stimulate them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went to the gym this morning with my bro and did some weights after warming up on the rowing machine.

These are pretty much all the machines available to me, apart from a few leg machines which I didn't have time to hit. What do you guys reckon about the number of sets etc. and how much I'm lifting? New entirely to weights, but I've been going to the gym for a while to drop weight and help my canoeing out.

Got the machine, the number of reps, then the weights in kilos per rep/set. Hope this reads alright.

byqgdnS.png

Converted to image so it's easier to read. Con = converged.

Added text back:

Lat raise: 8*8*8, 41 45 45
Con chest press: 8*8*8, 32 34.5 39
Con shoulder press: 8*8*8, 18 18 23
Rotary torso: 8*8*8, 41 41 41
Back extension: 8*8*18, 86 86 86
Lat pull: 8*8*10, 32 32 35
Pec fly: 8*8*8, 45 52
Diverged seat row: 8*8*8, 32 36 41
Arm curl: 8*8*8, 27 27 32
Seated dip: 8*8*12, 41 50 59
Triceps ext: 8*8*8*8, 45 54 59 50

Last edited:
Associate
Wow nice collection of videos, posting so I can find this later :)

I do a lot of various home workouts. I would suggest 'plank knee in's' and 'cross body mountain climbers' for core. Works your obliques.

I usually go all out with them for 19secs then rest for 11. 8 sets. But you can always start 10sec / 20sec and build it up each week; 13/17, 16/14, 19/11.

Soldato
No, probably an hour and a quarter with 10 minutes of rowing at the start.

It was more a kinda baselining event for me, just to write down what I'm doing and see where I'm at. I normally ruin myself by rowing and using the cross trainer, but I've started canoe racing so I need more upper body strength in order to be more competitive.

I'm not majorly keen on using free weights, for reasons of looking like a total plank. I'llget over it one day, but I want to focus a little on the machines first. Promise.

How would you group the exercises I did?

Man of Honour
No, probably an hour and a quarter with 10 minutes of rowing at the start.

It was more a kinda baselining event for me, just to write down what I'm doing and see where I'm at. I normally ruin myself by rowing and using the cross trainer, but I've started canoe racing so I need more upper body strength in order to be more competitive.

I'm not majorly keen on using free weights, for reasons of looking like a total plank. I'llget over it one day, but I want to focus a little on the machines first. Promise.

How would you group the exercises I did?

I can't see the image...?

Back
Top Bottom