***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
There's a few of things that you could do.

The first being reload. Drop the weight on the sets and work your way back up.
OR Drop the weight and up the reps, so instead of 5x5, maybe try a 3x8.
You could also try doing 3 sets at a weight where you can really get the form right and then 2 more sets at what your working weight should be.
You can also try doing 3x3 of your working weight and then do an additional set for lower weight but as many reps as possible/just more reps.

uv

uv

Soldato
I thought everyone excluded the 20kg bar from their lifts?

why would you *not* count it? It's 20kg, which, for some lifts, is a third of the total.

It's like saying my dinner is only 400kcal because for some arbitrary reason I'm not counting the potatoes.

The bar weighs something, you're lifting it, count it in your totals.

Soldato
why would you *not* count it? It's 20kg, which, for some lifts, is a third of the total.

It's like saying my dinner is only 400kcal because for some arbitrary reason I'm not counting the potatoes.

The bar weighs something, you're lifting it, count it in your totals.

I just thought everyone used the plates only as a rule. I'm stronger than I thought I was. /flex ;)

Soldato
After taking on board the comments made previously about my bench, I tried to change elbow and bar positioning but it all got a bit tight, my upper pecs seem to be really tight.

So I've decided to start doing mobility stuff on them and switch to DB bench press and BB is a bit all over the place.

Wise move?

Also, how to people rate leg raises for core work? I've been throwing in knee raises to some sessions and today tried some leg raises, they were tough but quite enjoyable as I wasn't sure I'd be able to do any at all :o

Caporegime
Your pecs will no doubt need smashing and stretching a lot if youve only just started to do it...they need a lot of loving.

Doing db bench for me helped for a while while I sorted things out.

Man of Honour
After taking on board the comments made previously about my bench, I tried to change elbow and bar positioning but it all got a bit tight, my upper pecs seem to be really tight.

So I've decided to start doing mobility stuff on them and switch to DB bench press and BB is a bit all over the place.

Wise move?

Also, how to people rate leg raises for core work? I've been throwing in knee raises to some sessions and today tried some leg raises, they were tough but quite enjoyable as I wasn't sure I'd be able to do any at all :o

Dumbell anything is awesome. :) However, do not hide from a poor motor pattern on barbell bench, as this will only get amplified with dumbells if you are not careful.

Regarding leg raises, my preference is for dragon flags, candlesticks (eccentric part of dragon flag) or rollout a of some description.

Soldato
Can anyone spot what's wrong with my DL?

It feels OK. I'm not getting any back pains etc but why is my entire body moving backwards at the start of the lift?

I'm trying to keep the angle of my back flat at the initial ascent until the bar clears the knees and then bringing my hips forward. I was under the impression this was correct form.

Soldato
Seemed to have missed the obvious there :D

That aside does it generally look alright? My main concern with DL is avoiding lower back injuries and to me it appears I'm doing a reasonable job of keeping everything straight.

Cheers

Man of Honour
OP
Dumbell anything is awesome. :) However, do not hide from a poor motor pattern on barbell bench, as this will only get amplified with dumbells if you are not careful.

Regarding leg raises, my preference is for dragon flags, candlesticks (eccentric part of dragon flag) or rollout a of some description.
Perhaps a little savage for a beginner! ;)

Leg raises with posterior pelvic tilt are still a great exercise, and more approachable.
Can anyone spot what's wrong with my DL?

It feels OK. I'm not getting any back pains etc but why is my entire body moving backwards at the start of the lift?

I'm trying to keep the angle of my back flat at the initial ascent until the bar clears the knees and then bringing my hips forward. I was under the impression this was correct form.
Not necessarily. You will end up doing more of first pull movement (olympic lifting term), which is not exactly the same thing as a deadlift. The correct way of describing it is that your back angle shouldn't change negatively, so your hips shouldn't rise faster that your shoulders.

For example, on the warm ups here:

Note that the bar path is completely vertical too. You need to be aiming for the bar scraping up your legs all the way up.

Soldato
Judging from your videos it looks like I need to learn forward a notch more too, probably just up until the point where the bar comes up vertically.

I can't believe the speed you do those warmups at :D

Man of Honour
OP
Theoretically, there should be a straight line from your mid foot-bar-shoulder, but that's exactly a useful training cue. In my experience, if you keep the bar against your legs and tweak the height of your hips then the rest takes care of itself (particularly after some practice, when you get a feel for the movement). If you post a video correcting the things mentioned previously we can take a look at your hip height, because it will almost certainly change from your last video by then. One thing at a time :)

And yeah, thanks :D, although some of those reps weren't perfect. However speed is strength, train fast to be fast, move explosively to increase potentiation in warm ups, etc.

Soldato
Thanks Ice. I'll get another video up next Monday, I'll get there eventually.

I'm coming off the cut mid-Feb so I want to have a decent platform in terms of technique to build up from :)

Soldato
I joined a gym in December and been really enjoying it.

Has anyone got any tips on a workout? I am usually spending around 10 mins on a stairmaster 15 on a rowing machine and the rest on machines such as the chest press.

Had a personal trainer session last week and pretty much got shown the same stuff.

Not sure if it's worth another 30 for another session.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I joined a gym in December and been really enjoying it.

Has anyone got any tips on a workout? I am usually spending around 10 mins on a stairmaster 15 on a rowing machine and the rest on machines such as the chest press.

Had a personal trainer session last week and pretty much got shown the same stuff.

Not sure if it's worth another 30 for another session.

Have a look at the GymRats thread opening post. Lots of advice on routines/regimes. :)

Back
Top Bottom