***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Also make sure you are tight everywhere before starting the lift. So use the bar to get tight to the point where the bar is only a fraction away from actually moving off the floor.

Soldato
Can I ask how wide people of average height tend to grip the barbell? (assume 5'10-6'0)?

I know it depeds on a variety of circumstances but recently I have noticed that when I try to progress on weights I'm struggling and i think form is a big issue.

I have always put either my middle or index finger on the knurl. I also let my wrists drop back. From watching the videos that's a big no no and I need to get my power under the bar. So when I adjusted and tried to keep my wrists straightI noticed that my wrists were turning in (thumb towards forearm) and rather than a 90 degree crease at the elbow joint it was more like 60. I think this is limiting the power.I experimented today by putting my pinky finger just on the knurl and I seemed to be aligned better but I'm worried this is too narrow?

Man of Honour
I go between 'too much emphasis on pecs' and 'too much emphasis on triceps'.

If I sit and pretend I'm riding a standard motorbike, then that's probably too narrow... but if I'm imagining I'm riding a chopper, that's about right :D

lzFY8lR.jpg

VROOOOM!

Soldato
Hah the chopper might work. Thanks for the tips, I'll keep experimenting over next few sessions to get it down. I was going far too wide before though, my forearms weren't anywhere near where they needed to be.

Soldato
I just go with what's comfy... Anyway, I realised my bench mechanics are a bit messed up right now. Been doing some push ups to practice the right kind of form and get the movement ingrained. Putting far too much stress on shoulder otherwise.

kd

Soldato
Can I ask how wide people of average height tend to grip the barbell? (assume 5'10-6'0)?

I know it depeds on a variety of circumstances but recently I have noticed that when I try to progress on weights I'm struggling and i think form is a big issue.

I have always put either my middle or index finger on the knurl. I also let my wrists drop back. From watching the videos that's a big no no and I need to get my power under the bar. So when I adjusted and tried to keep my wrists straightI noticed that my wrists were turning in (thumb towards forearm) and rather than a 90 degree crease at the elbow joint it was more like 60. I think this is limiting the power.I experimented today by putting my pinky finger just on the knurl and I seemed to be aligned better but I'm worried this is too narrow?

Watch Dave Tate vids on YouTube - 'So You Think You Can Bench?' etc. Vertical forearm, pulling the bar apart, keeping shoulders tight, unracking without losing tension, driving through the feet etc. Good stuff.

Also, for personal grip width (as you want a straight forearm throughout the movement), one tip I've been told is to grip the bar at shoulder width, dig your thumbs in as close to the rest of your hand as you can, then keeping your thumb in place, extend the joint so the rest of your hand shifts outwards more. Do that one more time so you're 'two thumbs' wider than shoulder width and it should be about right.

Associate
Could I get a deadlift form check?

This was my set today. I know my upper back is a bit rounded but there is nothing I can do to stop that (bad posture), I also noticed my head isn't neutral.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can't really see what your hips are doing at the top, but as they don't appear to come into contact with the bar, yet your torso keeps moving, I submit you're using your lower back too much and not enough hip draaaaaaaaaaaahve.

The 'hip drivebit is about locking your core off and pushing your hips through. This will 'push the bar up' if that makes sense.

Man of Honour
OP
I agree with mrthingy's assessment.

Your spine, and by extension your torso, should be a static unit. Throwing your head and shoulders back at the top of the lift indicate that this isn't currently the case, and that you need to a more effective hip hinge.

You'll also benefit from some additional anterior core work.

But overall, not bad!

Back
Top Bottom