***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
I've been pondering my bench press. I've realised that I'm mostly training my anterior delts because of my elbows being too wide. Not a problem to have big manly shoulders, but ruining them in the process wouldn't be ideal.

Action plan:
Dump DB press until my technique is better (encourages me to open my elbows).
Concentrate on barbell for a few weeks with a manageable weight.
KEEP ELBOWS IN.
Concentrate on bracing core and planting feet on the floor.
Eh?

You know what's wrong with your form, so fix it.

:confused:

Soldato
The strange and beautiful thing about OcUK as a computer forum is that there is a huge breadth of knowledge and I've learned loads about fitness and weightlifting from it. Reading this thread has allowed me to reflect and make an action plan. I suppose I've not exactly contributed to the thread, but the first step to fixing something is admitting you have a problem in the first place.

I definitely don't want a stage 2 referral!

Man of Honour
OP
Fair enough :)

In terms of a plan, work on the last two points. These principals have carry-over to everything. Make sure you're generating tension in your mid/upper back and lats.

Associate
I'll try and get one soon. Could it be due to losing upper back tightness?

Yes, that is exactly what it looks like to me. Even with high bar you need to keep your upper back engaged. In both varieties it can be achieved by the idea of pulling the bar onto your back, however with high bar I find it advantageous to shrug a very small amount, like thinking that your are pushing your shoulders into the bar. You should feel your lats engage when the bar is on your back.

Hope that makes sense :).

Soldato
So I visited the chiropractor yesterday, first time with this particular chap (having used osteopaths before). My pelvis was slightly tilted, higher on the left side, creating one leg noticeably longer than the other. This was fixed with some hip blocks & also a correction. This would explain the dominant hamstring activation on my left side and why I struggled to get much tension on the right side.

There was some tightness in the thoracic vertebrae and also the cervical which were addressed with some corrections and also some massage. I also had some brief acupuncture in the trigger points on the traps too.

I'd gone in originally to had a rib addressed on my left side that wasn't causing any discomfort or pain, except to the touch with DOMS, but was sitting slightly higher against my sternum. It's just asymmetry but advised a cold compress should I ever have any issues. As I bench reasonably wide and really open my chest up I was concerned about a rib popping out. But it was worth the trip as my deadlift form feels like it has improved massively, now with a level pelvis! I also watched this to help address the mechanics of the lift and combat hip rise.

Grumpy face as it was cold! hadn't eaten or showered yet and I'd just washed the car too! I think my hip drive could be improved and also perhaps my back angle but on the whole fairly happy with how it's looking and also feeling!

(Drive's a mess from having the patio done.)

60KG

80KG

100KG

120KG

140KG

160KG

Edit: I did also suffer some shin scrapes for the first time ever too. Could probably address my head positioning so it's more neutral too.

Last edited:
Associate
They look very clean, I think the only thing I can comment on immediately is on the heavier reps you seem to be avoiding locking out your knees, and also your hips a little on the 160kg.

Very nice deadlifting though.

You may find this interesting, I have found that it helped me a lot when I was relearning deadlifting and I know it has help a few others on here.

Soldato

Thanks for that, video makes sense. I've been trying to sit back a little more as I was leaning too far over the bar, resulting in not enough back angle, the bar arching away and a low back pump.

I'll use the top down loading moving forward as it makes a lot of sense.

I was a little hesitant to lock my knees as I was previously locking them too early which wasn't helping my hip rise.

Man of Honour
OP
You have some slack in your core. This is evidenced by your lower back pump, because you should be able to avoid that even with some positional faults.

I don't know if you'll see what I'm talking about (it's a very subtle movement with you), but sometimes in trying to bring your hips through fast at the top you're inducing some lumbar movement and your knees come forward.

I've seen this a lot recently in my gym, and I think it's just people being stuck in a quad dominant movement pattern.

Try keeping the weight on your heels and imagine the movement as one big squeeze from your hips.

Soldato
You have some slack in your core. This is evidenced by your lower back pump, because you should be able to avoid that even with some positional faults.
There was no pump during these lifts but do think that how I have been setting up (by winding in to the correct position before lifting) probably added to it. A little core work probably wouldn't go a miss.

There seemed to be a bit of discussion regarding planking recently. From what I picked up squeezing the glutes, bracing the abs and breathing through the diaphragm is the correct method?

I don't know if you'll see what I'm talking about (it's a very subtle movement with you), but sometimes in trying to bring your hips through fast at the top you're inducing some lumbar movement and your knees come forward.

I've seen this a lot recently in my gym, and I think it's just people being stuck in a quad dominant movement pattern.

Try keeping the weight on your heels and imagine the movement as one big squeeze from your hips.

Will do :) I used to really be able to focus on driving my heels down but then I wasn't having any of these other issues. Hopefully with time and a bit of focus I can iron all these out. Will report back in due course.

Cheers guys.:cool:

Soldato
Agreed - and I find looking up at the ceiling, not the bar, really helps. And just keep those scaps activated.

Can't do that at my place. The bench is so out of line I smacked the bar in to the hooks twice before moving on to a different bench. Problem is the 500lb+ bench pressers throw the bar back on to those hooks causing thos back two posts to twist and shake with the force (knocking it out of line). :mad::(

Back
Top Bottom