***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
Heh, I'd snap in two vertically if I did that

Explains the rib that's sticking out of my sternum slightly :p:eek:

Tackled a front squat with a clean grip today. I have the flexability, no doubt about that (tight lats & triceps from a recent workout) didn't help but it's felt comfortable apart from where I had positioned the bar.

Does anyone have a good guide as to bar positioning for the front squat? It ended up being sat behind the insertion for the front delt so was on my collar bone slightly. I felt like I was pushing my shoulders forward while pushing my elbows up. I'll focus on keeping them back next time if this is correct.

100KG felt perfectly comfortable weight wise, and I don't doubt I have a powerful front squat to unlock but correct positioning is holding me back at the moment.

I know shoulder external rotation is also important for comfort, my right shoulder did begin to fold towards the end of the set which was the reason I stopped.

Associate
So I was having significant lower back rounding during barbell rows the other day that felt very snapworthy.

I think this was partly due to a bit too much weight and a weakened back as it came at the end of my routine but my Posterior chain felt very tight, particularly hamstrings which may of been the main cause for bad form. Is there anything I should concentrate on such as stretches to correct this or anything else I can do?

Man of Honour

Tackled a front squat with a clean grip today. I have the flexability, no doubt about that (tight lats & triceps from a recent workout) didn't help but it's felt comfortable apart from where I had positioned the bar.

Does anyone have a good guide as to bar positioning for the front squat? It ended up being sat behind the insertion for the front delt so was on my collar bone slightly. I felt like I was pushing my shoulders forward while pushing my elbows up. I'll focus on keeping them back next time if this is correct.

100KG felt perfectly comfortable weight wise, and I don't doubt I have a powerful front squat to unlock but correct positioning is holding me back at the moment.

I know shoulder external rotation is also important for comfort, my right shoulder did begin to fold towards the end of the set which was the reason I stopped.

Try sitting it a bit further forward as this will give you room to crank your shoulders back and lock your upper body...

Man of Honour
OP

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/12/...houlder-and-trunk-stability-relationship.html

^very cool vid

There are obviously some good external rotation vids on that site.
So I was having significant lower back rounding during barbell rows the other day that felt very snapworthy.

I think this was partly due to a bit too much weight and a weakened back as it came at the end of my routine but my Posterior chain felt very tight, particularly hamstrings which may of been the main cause for bad form. Is there anything I should concentrate on such as stretches to correct this or anything else I can do?
Stretch your hammies and glutes, learn to hip hinge (useful videos under deadlifts in the OP).

Soldato
Man of Honour
This is going to be interesting without vids... :)

Ho-kay.

If it's sitting behind the delt insertion, then that's too far back - IMHO. I have it resting on the delt proper around an inch down. As a rought guide...

• Feel for the bony distal end of the clavicle -the 'dip' with your arms in front rack;
  • Stick your thumb on top of the delt, with the edge of the thumb at the 'start' of that bony bit;
  • Rest the bar on the delt on the other side of your thumb;

This should steer it clear of your clavicle and give you the sensation of the bar being held up by your traps and delts. Now crank your shoulders back so the bar rests against your throat. Not too hard, obviously.

I had this problem for a long time, where my shoulders would round inexplicably at the bottom of the front squat. So I rolled the bar down a bit and used the extra lee-way to crank my shoudlers into a much better position. Low and behold, it's just my legs letting me down now.

I'll try and take a video if you care/don't get the explanation above, as it's an odd one to explain with words. :)

Hope this helps!

Soldato
Ahhh, I misread 'it', thought you mean me sit further forward which is why I thought *****?!

Having it sat over more of the delt and using the leeway to wind the shoulders back & pull the bar into the throat sounds spot on.

I'll have a quick play when I back squat next to see if I can get the hang of it.

Man of Honour
Came across these 2 vids on my FB feed which seem to be fairly sensible in terms of advice for improving bench pressing techniques - the first one discusses thoracic mobility as well as rector femoris/quad stretching, as well as some psoas involvement too.

2nd on is by Lee Hayward who's style I rather like anyway.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
For me one of the most important things when bench pressing is upper back tightness. I pinch shoulders back hard and keep the upper back on full.

Soldato
I've been pondering my bench press. I've realised that I'm mostly training my anterior delts because of my elbows being too wide. Not a problem to have big manly shoulders, but ruining them in the process wouldn't be ideal.

Action plan:
Dump DB press until my technique is better (encourages me to open my elbows).
Concentrate on barbell for a few weeks with a manageable weight.
KEEP ELBOWS IN.
Concentrate on bracing core and planting feet on the floor.

Man of Honour
If you're working your anterior delts, is probably because the bar is too high on your body.

Your elbows should be out at around 45 degrees from your body when the bar is on your chest.

The line of travel should be driven by you squeezing your elbows up and in, rather than pushing the bar up...

This goes with bracing your shoulders, core and legs to make sure the lifting 'platform' is as stable as possible.

I use the cue of bending the ends of the bar together to form a U shape to bring my lats into the game to provide a nice assist for the pecs in this.

Back
Top Bottom