***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
After a slack few months I've got my mojo back and started training properly again.

Been working back up in weight using a Starting Strength like template for the last month and squats are just starting to feel heavy.

This is what they looked like today.

Think I need to work on hamstring flexibility to stop my back rounding at the bottom but my main concern is that I'm starting to find it harder to drive through my heels as the weight increases. Thoughts?

Man of Honour
OP
After a slack few months I've got my mojo back and started training properly again.

Been working back up in weight using a Starting Strength like template for the last month and squats are just starting to feel heavy.

This is what they looked like today.

Think I need to work on hamstring flexibility to stop my back rounding at the bottom but my main concern is that I'm starting to find it harder to drive through my heels as the weight increases. Thoughts?
Your bigger problem is total spine stability. You're also attempting to do a high bar squat with a large amount of forward lean.

Caporegime
Cracking depth on them squats, lots of lean though which you were struggling with.

Ice - you mention total spine stability, in what way and how could you see that he was unstable? (watching on phone so might be missing something!)

Man of Honour
Cracking depth on them squats, lots of lean though which you were struggling with.

Ice - you mention total spine stability, in what way and how could you see that he was unstable? (watching on phone so might be missing something!)

His lumbar starts going when he's still above parallel. Think this is what ice is on about. If it was just below parallel, then hamstrings, calves, ankle mobility, etc. come into play.

Are your (JaWalks) abs on hard during the squat? Looks like you dive forward into it...? I would suggest more ankles, wider knees and core of steel...

Associate
I just downloaded supple leopard. It's an interesting read when it comes to squatting. It's gonna help me loads I think.

I've tried squatting high bar, low bar and rippetoe style but have never felt comfortable. Lately I've just been doing what feels most natural. Really want to nail my squat form cause my squats are lagging behind my deads by quite a lot.

Man of Honour
OP
For starters, there isn't really a point at which his spine is neutral.

Having to crank your neck back like that is a problem, too.
I just downloaded supple leopard. It's an interesting read when it comes to squatting. It's gonna help me loads I think.

I've tried squatting high bar, low bar and rippetoe style but have never felt comfortable. Lately I've just been doing what feels most natural. Really want to nail my squat form cause my squats are lagging behind my deads by quite a lot.
Can we get a video from the back?

A couple of points in no particular order:

- Don't initiate your hip break by throwing your lumbar into extension.

- If you want to do high bar (which you are doing), then you can't end up with your hips so far behind your ankles. Create more space by getting knees out and forwards, and stay much more vertical in your torso.

- Aim for neutral spine. This includes your neck.

- You need to be generating torque from your hips, rather than bouncing on end range with a bent back and doing a spine curl to get the weight up. Knees out and spread the floor with your feet.

Soldato
I already do high bar :X

Ankles are getting slightly better, i was actually surprised on tuesday how good they felt. I honestly don't think there is much to get out of my right one though, there just isn't that 'play' you get when you over flex a joint.

Ideally i just need you to tenderly examine my squat because no doubt there is 50 shades of ****ed up going on.

Soldato
Hey guys,

I made a separate thread but hopefully you don't mind me asking your advise in here!

So I'm 6ft 1 65kg and quite slim.

Basically, I have a wrist injury which is a major pain in the ass for me and stops me from doing a lot of exercises. Throw in to the mix that I have an underlying health issue and am avoiding wheat, gluten and dairy, things can be tough. But anyway, enough of excuses...

I want you guys to help me, my wrist injury stops me from doing anything that pushes down on the wrist - e.g pushups, bench presses etc

I am currently following the below programme and eating lots of meat, nuts, veg and brown rice.

Could you please let me know how I can improve? Please take into account the amount I'm lifting is affected by my injury which I have had looked at by consultants btw.

Exercises.

Bench press (20kg 3x10)
Behind the head dumbbell extensions (17kg 3 x 10)
Single Arm rows (17kg x 10 - using a bench)
Goblet squats (12kg Kettlebell 3 x 10)
Kettlebell swings (12kg 3 x 20)
Bicep curls (13kg 3 x 10)
Dumbell Flys (7kg 3x8)

Core

Planking
Leg Raises
Scissors
reverse Crunch

I usually mix them up and do 4 exercises 1 day and 3 another with the core exercises every other day. I like to skip and run too.

Could anyone please advise me as to how I could take this regime to the next level? Please keep my wrist injury in mind!

Thanks in advance,

Gustov.

Associate
Can anyone recommend me a 4 or 5 day split I can do for a few weeks. Just want to have a bit of a change for a few weeks, I was thinking about possibly doing drop-sets or more reps and less sets, I have still been getting stronger but muscle gain has slowed a little so want to change it up for a while.

I have a home gym so limited to what exercises no cables etc. I have a power rack, bench, EZ bar, barbell, and dumbbells.

Currently been doing:

4 sets of each exercise between 8-12 reps

Splits:

Legs/Shoulders
Chest/Tri
Rest
Back/Bi
Rest
REPEAT

and sometimes:

Legs
Shoulders
Rest
Back/Bi
Chest/Tri
Rest
REPEAT

Exercises (IN NO ORDER):

Legs:
Squats
Hamstring curls
Carf Raises
Lunges

Shoulders:
Shrugs
Upright row
Side raises
Front raises
Shoulder press (dumbbells)
Standing military press (barbell)

Back:
Underhand barbell row
Wide grip pullups
Close grip pullups
One arm dumbbell row
Deadlifts
Rear fly
Hyper extension

Biceps:
EZ bar preacher curls
Widegrip EZ curls
Hammer curls
Overhand EZ curls

Triceps:
Kickbacks
Skull crushers
Dips
One arm over head extensions
Diamond Push-ups

Chest:
Incline barbell press
Incline flys
Pushups
Decline dumbell press

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You could do a more heavier compound centric program for 2 weeks. Have a look at my log and icecold or djdom's log. My chest sessions have been noted for their handsomeness.

Back
Top Bottom