***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
Just managed to take a very quick look, it's a very detailed log LiE but have you got a summary it will take me the two weeks to read all that and undertand :D.

From what I can see your week will vary like a 2-3 week cycle?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Ah best to start towards the end of the log. I'm doing a 3 day split now which you should be able to see over the last few pages. I really need to update it or start a new log (part 3 :D)

Associate
I looked at some videos of me squatting with and without a belt. I notice that I can't go as low without the belt, usually above parallel. With the belt I can go to parallel quite easily.
I think I tend to overarch my lower back raw and the belt prevents me from doing that.
Also, I'd occasionally injure my lower back slightly without the belt, usually on the last rep or so when pushing hard. This would prevent me from exercising it for about a week

Is this because of a lower back weakness or something that I need to correct?
I'm not keen on continuing with the belt as I suspect it might have contributed to an injury I have now, which might be a hernia-still waiting for an ultrasound to confirm what it is

Associate
hmmm, seems I have been benching completely wrong. I paid so much attention to squat/deadlift/rows that I didn't even considered how to bench. My elbows have been way too far out : / See tomorrow if I fail my weight with the new form.

Man of Honour
Can't see the deadlift video.

Squats looked ok until I saw the back view: keep your knees out as they collapse in. You also seem to be losing your hip drive at some point (soft lockout at the top), so make sure you keep driving hard through your heels.

Soldato
Deads:
You're lifting your hips first, keep your core tight as hell and your shoulders pinned back firmly. You should start lifting the bar up smoothly with your body maintaining your original set up position, before snapping your hips forward and pulling your knees back (hip drive).

Squat:
Side View:
You're rounding your lower back at the deepest point of your squat, highlighting some flexibility issues. Ice is the best person to comment, I get similar thing which is largely down to hamstrings and glutes being tight as hell.

Also, maintain as much of a vertical torso as you can, you're folding over slightly at the bottom to hit depth, compensating for your lack of flexibility in the posterior chain.

Rear View:
You need to push your knees out as wide as you can as MrThingyX says, you should feel like you're trying to push them out over your feet, really putting a lot of effort in to it.

But this sounds more critical than it actually is; your form is actually pretty good and you're not on a fast track to injury lifting in this way. The hips rising on the deads are the worst part in my eyes, and the butt tuck on squats needs to be avoided. I'd sacrifice depth for butt tuck until you've got your flexibility issues sorted :)

Associate
Thanks for the feedback guys. Nice to know that while things are not perfect, it's not a total disaster either.

So with the knees, I'll have a play with the knee push and get a feel for it. I assume my stance is wide enough as if I go much wider, I feel the strain on the inside of my legs when going down (flexibility issue again). Definitly going to spend more time on mobility going forward as well...

Regarding the deads, I genuinely feel more comfortable and stronger with that technique but I recognise it is not ideal and is something I can work to correct.

Man of Honour
OP
Overall: Not terrible. You major faults are spine rigidity and neutrality (includes your head), and a general lack of torque and tension. Your intensity looks more suited to a casual stroll to the shops. Every rep should be performed deliberately, from warm up to cool down.

Deadlift: Generate tension before you lift the weight and lock out hard. The reason you find it easier to lift as you are is that it loads your back a lot more, which currently makes it easier for you to express force. Learn to drive with your legs too.

Squat: KNEES OUT. That is the only bad thing about the videos, but it is very bad. You've also gotten stuck into a semi high bar technique. The bar is high, but the way you move is more like a low bar squat. For high bar your torso needs to be more vertical and your knees more out and forwards. Alternatively, sort out your bar position and knee position and do low bar. I predict that you are going to need to work on your ankles.

Associate
Thanks Ice.

What's the best way to take this forward on squats? Should I look to keep the weight on the low side, keep the volume up and work on the technique while simultaneously working on my mobility?

My point being that if I really focus on keeping the knees out, it may go some way to reducing the ache I have been experiencing?

Caporegime
The knees out thing will make you actually move your knee in the way it's intended, rather than grinding at some crazy inwards angle, it's like driving a car with crap tracking I guess ;)

Knees out, pain might subside. Naturally, keep videoing yourself to compare.

Man of Honour
Thanks Ice.

What's the best way to take this forward on squats? Should I look to keep the weight on the low side, keep the volume up and work on the technique while simultaneously working on my mobility?

Yes. Lady exercises (clamshells, lying side leg raises, etc.) are also very good, as a cross-band walks, band-resisted squats (horrible) as well as banded side lunges or whatever they're called.

My point being that if I really focus on keeping the knees out, it may go some way to reducing the ache I have been experiencing?

Yes, assuming the pain arises from your current pattern.

Associate
Another attempt at a squat form video...

Still working on my depth which I think has got much better but obviously there's still room for improvement.

Depth aside how's it all looking?

I have a really wide stance and my feet are apart a bit, any closer and I get zero depth.

Should I change my stance to closer and do some mobility work or keep the current stance?

Edit : This was my 7th set so I was a bit tired :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom