***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
Posterior chain? Not sure what ice would recommend from his perspective, but...

- RDLs;
- SLDLs;

Another potential is more squatting, and dropping the weight for a set or two at the start to really get a good pattern ingrained.

I do this with front squats because I'm lame and need reminding each time. :D

Pet Northerner
Don
cheers for the feedback guys. To be honest it's my poor lack of knowledge that let me down, and probs some bro science. Trying to do this stuff with no-one with me has proven quite difficult, as proven with my poor form.

From my understanding I thought it was knees should be behind the foot, thus pushing my butt out to start to help that. Normally, I can squat without the need to push back. My bad indeed.

Regarding the bar, does it need to go much further down, as I've tried this before and found it hard to keep the bar in place?

I'll try to straighten out a lot more.

I'm going to deaload my squats on 5x5 and work on my form again, as I'll struggle without nailing it first.

I'll sneak my camera back in after a few sessions and get another vid up :)

Man of Honour
cheers for the feedback guys. To be honest it's my poor lack of knowledge that let me down, and probs some bro science. Trying to do this stuff with no-one with me has proven quite difficult, as proven with my poor form.

That's what we're here for. Or rather, what ice is here for. :D

From my understanding I thought it was knees should be behind the foot, thus pushing my butt out to start to help that. Normally, I can squat without the need to push back. My bad indeed.

ORLY? :eek: :D ;)

This is 80s/90s PTs at their best: "knee should not travel past the toe." And is utter BS. Knees not in line with the toes? Sure - problem. But not otherwise.

Regarding the bar, does it need to go much further down, as I've tried this before and found it hard to keep the bar in place?

Rest it on your posterior deltoid. As you stand with a neutral spine and assume the position to hold the bar, you'll notice a little shelf appear at the back of your shoulder: stick the bar there.

I personally think all you back squatters are nuts, but hey. ;) :D

I'm going to deaload my squats on 5x5 and work on my form again, as I'll struggle without nailing it first.

Not necessarily, but it can help. You may simply want to have one of your warm-up sets at 50-75% of your working range to get a good pattern worked out before going hell for leather on the working sets.

For instance, my front squat 1RM is 115kg and working range is around 100kg. I normally have a 'pre-load' set of 5/6 at 70kg to make sure I'm squatting correctly (because front squats are so much harder, amirite?).

Pet Northerner
Don
Not necessarily, but it can help. You may simply want to have one of your warm-up sets at 50-75% of your working range to get a good pattern worked out before going hell for leather on the working sets.

For instance, my front squat 1RM is 115kg and working range is around 100kg. I normally have a 'pre-load' set of 5/6 at 70kg to make sure I'm squatting correctly (because front squats are so much harder, amirite?).

I normally do warm up with a few sets (empty bar, 50% load, 70% load roughly) but as I've been doing it all wrong since I've started (only been attempting proper weight lifting since starting my 5x5 in April) I'll probably feel like what I'm doing is wrong at first. So a few sessions of lower weights to get into the grove I feel should sort me out.

.....Or 30 mins with one of you lot screaming 'Do it right phaggot!' at me :p

You know what I mean.. I meant without pushing my fat arse right out! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Knees can/do go over toes with high bar at depth, but assuming hips are opened (knees out!) they shouldn't go too far past the toes. I think that's right. With front squats it's different though due to the position of the body/bar.

Also easier to stay more upright at low depth with Oly shoes or with plates under your heels, if you're all about high bar anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
Honestly, I wouldn't put any restriction on how far forward your knees can go. Provided they aren't collapsing and going valgus, there really isn't much risk. Any restriction is likely to mess up the squat pattern.

Associate
No matter how much I am stretching my knees always seem to collapse in, I have got shoes which fix my instep but it still happens on Squats, even if I keep trying to "show my crotch" and push out lol just feels very unnatural.

Soldato
Only thing I really know is OHP (and then it isnt that good), but remember to keep everything tight and chest up. Really force the bar up as it looks like you're going a bit too slow, unless thats just the purpose of the form vid.

Can you get a back angle of the squats? Give it a go without the shoes, see how that feels :).

Man of Honour
OP
No matter how much I am stretching my knees always seem to collapse in, I have got shoes which fix my instep but it still happens on Squats, even if I keep trying to "show my crotch" and push out lol just feels very unnatural.
Are you saying you have flat feet?

Step 1: Fix this, without phaggy orthotics.

Step 2: Just keep your knees out.

If it isn't as simple as that, there is something else going wrong.

TC, I'm not totally convinced you have proper APT and lordosis. Considering the rest of your movement, I'm going to guess that it's a control issue. More plank, more side plank, more think about it all the time.

On your deads you actually seem to have some lumbar flexion. Stick your arse out more and have your hips slightly higher.

Soldato
Cheers bud. I can go faster at lighter weights with the OHP, but at 25 it's a tad too heavy to be explosive. I'll try keeping a lot tighter next time, I've concentrated on keeping glutes tight and abs tight, but not thought about tightness anywhere else.

As for the squats, I used to do them barefoot, but when I started wearing the Chuck Taylor's, they felt so much better. However, I shall try going barefoot again today.

I did once take a video from the back and it looked like my knees were collapsing in a bit.

Okay cheers bud. I'll get some more videos up today after my session.

Ah they're chucks. I just thought they were generic ones :D. I tend to find OHP a lot easier if I got my chest up and even tighten my lats too, for a stable position to push from once I've lowered the bar.

Man of Honour
OP
Oh, forgot to mention for OHP: Stack your joints. Keep your elbows under the bar, keep your wrist over your elbow, and keep the bar over your wrist.

Soldato
Oh, forgot to mention for OHP: Stack your joints. Keep your elbows under the bar, keep your wrist over your elbow, and keep the bar over your wrist.

Yea, basically what the mas... I mean Ice said :D. Here is a quick vid of mine too:

I've basically got everything stacked as Ice said, anything goes loose and im screwed :p

Back
Top Bottom