***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
Squat improves each time you post! Keep those knees out, and do plenty of lady exercises.

Rows? Hinge at the hip, bend your knees and hard horizontal core to take the weight off your lumbar. The weight looks too low, too. :)

Associate
Was doing some low bar squats in the gym this morning and a member of staff at the gym was watching me as she was cleaning the stationary bikes.
She comes up mid set saying I'm bending over too far, since she was behind me about 30 feet away I just ask her if she wants to check from the side.

Do a few squats and she says I'm leaning too far forward, and that I have the bar too low!
She also suggests I use the padding thing you wrap around the bar while squating!

I basically nod and smile, and realise I should watch Rippletoes squatting vids again.

Bare in mind this is one of those cheap no frills gyms which advertising over the PA you can become a trainer in like a month with their easy program...

Caporegime
You are low bar squatting, the bar will sit low on your back.
You are low bar squatting, you will sit further back in to the squat than in high bar.
You are squatting, the pad is for ***** and actually makes things worse/harder.
You are squatting, next time she says that, pick her up and squat her.

Man of Honour
Cheers bud. On the BORs, the weight seems too low for me too, but by the end of my final set, I tend to find I'm fatigued and when I pull, I feel all the load in my wrists/triceps.

On a side note, are you on the fb group? I've identified most members, but not you :p

How many reps are you doing?

You're possibly fritzing your arms because you're up too high and - potentially - have your elbows too flared. Although, you should be bushed by the end of your final set. ;)

If you get a better hinge in your hip, you will take the strain off your lumbar region. Once in that position, you will be able to "pull back from the elbow" rather than fist/wrist. Quasi-sexual enough?

This should break your lats rather than triceps.

You should be able to spot who I am on FB by comparison to the crud I post on here. ;) :D

Man of Honour
OP
On the BORs you are actually looking down a bit too much and have a slightly flexed upper back. Your shoulders are also protracted (extended forwards).

This is probably why you're feeling the load in weird places.

Neutral spine, stick your boobies out slightly, check head position, pin shoulders back to neutral, externally rotate humerus, engage lats, fap.

Associate
Been working on my little bros squat form recently. Some butt tuck and still learning to control them knees. Have him doing some mobility.

More out of interest than anything, how does using the band help? Is it to make him more aware of knee position and force them out?

Soldato
More out of interest than anything, how does using the band help? Is it to make him more aware of knee position and force them out?

I do band squats as well. Many people have an issue where their knees collapse in during the lift. The reason for this is a weakness in some of the muscles that help maintain a knees out strong position.

The reason for the band squats is to put emphasis on the knees, with a weight that is relatively easy to squat. The focus is to drive home knees out, and strengthen those weak muscles (mainly focusing on the glute med)

Caporegime
Yes, although you're losing some of your uprightness.

I'm glad to see the demise of the 2 minute set ;)

So try and keep more upright? I know on some reps I leaned too far forward which I felt and didn't like much.

I think it boiled down to me being super tight Monday, need to hammer everything again...Been so zoned in on my shoulder I've neglected everything else :o

2 Minute sets just show I have good endurance :o

:D

Associate
I do band squats as well. Many people have an issue where their knees collapse in during the lift. The reason for this is a weakness in some of the muscles that help maintain a knees out strong position.

The reason for the band squats is to put emphasis on the knees, with a weight that is relatively easy to squat. The focus is to drive home knees out, and strengthen those weak muscles (mainly focusing on the glute med)

Sounds good, might give them a go to assist with getting my knees out as well :)

Associate
Quick bit of advice please..

I'm following the lean gains IF diet, fasting between 9-1.

Now the weathers picking up I quite like a 30 min or so jog afew times a week as soon as I wake up.

Would this have any effect on the diet?

Good idea - I'll be fine not eating until 1?

Stupid idea - I'll be hungry and grumpy (more than normal) at work?

Soldato
BCAAs before your jog hand would be recommended normally, but I don't think it'll make much difference.

e: Post better suited for gym rats than form discussion thread!

Back
Top Bottom