***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Caporegime
Side planks pls. Or the overhead version of pallof.

And reverse cruches

I figured pallof presses covered side plabks but I guess the tension is diffeent.

Not seen overhead pallof? So do you want me to be doing planks, side planks and pallof presses (sude and oh)?

I didnt get on with reverse crunches to br honest, ill have to watch some more videos. Again time is generally against me, mondays are great for core work as I have more spare time.

Ill try do what syla5 does, generally im too dead to do that :p

Caporegime
You start off more upright on the earlier sets, then you progressively get more horizontal on your setup.

I.E look at 13 secs, then about 45 secs.

I also don't know how you make your back bend like that dude (35s for instance)

Man of Honour
OP
Best reps are between 30 and 40 seconds.

You start the set with your hips too low, and then finish too high.

Also, you shouldn't be trying to be maximally explosive when you're trying to change fundamentals of movement, it will always end up being messy. You're supposed to be feeling the movement and teaching yourself where your effective line is.

I also don't know how you make your back bend like that dude (35s for instance)
Stiff t-spine, mobile lumbar and T-L junction that is used to being moved around.

Soldato
Best reps are between 30 and 40 seconds.

You start the set with your hips too low, and then finish too high.

Also, you shouldn't be trying to be maximally explosive when you're trying to change fundamentals of movement, it will always end up being messy. You're supposed to be feeling the movement and teaching yourself where your effective line is.

Stiff t-spine, mobile lumbar and T-L junction that is used to being moved around.

Cheers, will review. I am loosening up my T-spine as part of my mobility work each night, but i think i havent been focusing on it enough.

Bad thing, it's basically the opposite of what you want.
How bad is it? or is it a case of easily fixable just keep banging away at it.

Soldato
This is what i get pretty much consistently (daily while sat down, or squatting, or in laying in bed), just squatting doesn't help matters and it's really annoying me now.

It's certainly central rather than further out, i.e spine or erector area. Everyone i've seen is adamant my spine is generally healthy however (as in, doctors, physios, Pat, masseuses)

I would take a visit to the doctor, this sounds very similar to something I had. Get it checked out via an MRI if possible...blag it if you need to.

Just build those core exercises, side plank raises joined with some leg raises (don't know exact name) Basically get those glutes working!

Also place your legs on a large ball and thrust upwards with your glutes (again I don't know the name)

Caporegime
I would take a visit to the doctor, this sounds very similar to something I had. Get it checked out via an MRI if possible...blag it if you need to.

Just build those core exercises, side plank raises joined with some leg raises (don't know exact name) Basically get those glutes working!

Also place your legs on a large ball and thrust upwards with your glutes (again I don't know the name)

Seen doctors, generally they've been useless, some of the exercises other physios have given me a somewhat cringe worthy or debatable sadly.

No idea how I would even go about blagging an MRI, our local surgery is reluctant to hand our referrals with inconclusive evidence.

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers, will review. I am loosening up my T-spine as part of my mobility work each night, but i think i havent been focusing on it enough.

How bad is it? or is it a case of easily fixable just keep banging away at it.
It's far from the end of the world, but it is something that will stand in the way of you becoming a strong, functional monster.

I'd have it near the top of your mobilising/strengthening priorities.

Associate
Thought Id post my deadlift video in here to get a bit more exposure and a few more comments, its far from perfect i know!

Thinking about some comments from mrthingyx, I feel like I'm lifting with my back and arms rather than legs.

I think I should try to keep my back in the same flat (or natural curve state) until I pull the bar up to my knees, and then and only then pull up whilst hinging at the hips (aka the thrust forward?)

I've gotta make sure Im breathing in before lifting, and keeping the air in the core and keeping it tight I guess!

Associate
I'm about 2 months into my Stronglifts 5x5 program. First time I've ever regularly gone to the gym and loving it so far. Started with the empty 20kg barbell and been working from there.

I'm having problems with the Barbell row. I know I'm supposed to let the barbell return to the floor each time but I'm having trouble with it hitting my chest, and only seem to be able to get it halfway or 3/4 to my chest. Is this just a case of lowering the weight until I can do it properly and working from there? I'm on 40kg at the moment and stalling. It's quite annoying as I'm going past this weight in my bench press already and I know I should be doing a lot heavier barbells compared by this time already.

I'm also stalling on adding weight to my overhead presses. I'm around 25-27kg and I just can't seem to add any more weight to complete the sets. Is it ok to just stall at this weight for a few weeks until my arms become stronger and I'm able to add more weight? I feel like I'm progressing about 1kg to the overhead presses each session compared to the 2.5 I'm supposed to be adding.

My squats and deadlifts are going great though. In the last month I've gone from struggling with 40kg to doing 60kg yesterday for the first time without my effort. Looking forward to going upto 65kg next week.

Thanks for any advice.

Soldato
I'm about 2 months into my Stronglifts 5x5 program. First time I've ever regularly gone to the gym and loving it so far. Started with the empty 20kg barbell and been working from there.

I'm having problems with the Barbell row. I know I'm supposed to let the barbell return to the floor each time but I'm having trouble with it hitting my chest, and only seem to be able to get it halfway or 3/4 to my chest. Is this just a case of lowering the weight until I can do it properly and working from there? I'm on 40kg at the moment and stalling. It's quite annoying as I'm going past this weight in my bench press already and I know I should be doing a lot heavier barbells compared by this time already.

I'm also stalling on adding weight to my overhead presses. I'm around 25-27kg and I just can't seem to add any more weight to complete the sets. Is it ok to just stall at this weight for a few weeks until my arms become stronger and I'm able to add more weight? I feel like I'm progressing about 1kg to the overhead presses each session compared to the 2.5 I'm supposed to be adding.

My squats and deadlifts are going great though. In the last month I've gone from struggling with 40kg to doing 60kg yesterday for the first time without my effort. Looking forward to going upto 65kg next week.

Thanks for any advice.

Adding 2.5kg to 25kg is a relatively big jump, can't you use fractional weights? The other alternative is to increase to 6 reps per set, which will hopefully make the step-up in weight more attainable as the muscles used in the OH lift should be stronger.

Associate
smallest weight plates at my gym are 1.25kg plates. Doing more reps sounds good. I'm pretty much at my limit nearly when I'm on the last set of my OH presses so the extra rep should improve my gains I feel. I also think I'll go back down to the starting weight for the BR on 30kg and work from there again making sure my form is top notch and it hits my chest each time, perhaps as you said putting more reps on it to account for the drop in weight. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom