Half-Life: Alyx

Soldato
I seem to of hit an issue today where this game is now only using 2 of my 4 cores. 100% on 2 cores and about 15% on the other 2. Not sure whats caused this or how to fix it.

Edit: fixed it with process lasso

Just finished game, literally don't have words to describe how hyped I am.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm still really enjoying this. I only play for 30 mins every couple of days, so I'm really dragging this one out.

Those Poison Headcrabs are still nightmare fuel.

Associate
Just installing this now - all this talk of rationing is making me think twice about starting it. :eek: feel like I'm a kid saving it all to last

Associate
Booted this up first time yesterday with my Quest via Virtual Desktop, only dabbled a bit as it was late but I can already tell it's going to be something special!
I'm really impressed with how VD is handling the streaming to the Quest, such a great experience being able to playing PC games with no wires getting in the way.
I'm going to try it over link as well tonight to see how it compares but unless there is a considerable improvement I'm going to stick with VD.

Associate
I got this 3 days ago now and have done 1 hour per day on it so far. I'll do an hour later to. It is hard to put it down and not just smash through it but I suffer with major motion sickness so I have no choice but to limit myself or face feeling ill for some time later.

In all fairness though as a HL fan I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's not ground breaking but the visuals, sound/atmosphere and story are quite compelling even on a OG Vive (With lense mod and DAS)

Looking forward to my session later

Soldato
In all fairness though as a HL fan I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's not ground breaking but the visuals, sound/atmosphere and story are quite compelling even on a OG Vive (With lense mod and DAS)

I agree with this. Nothing it does is especially innovative (in some ways it's a step back, as teleport is required in some areas), but the whole package is so well put together and has lots of nice little touches. The attention to detail is excellent. It is probably the best VR game when it comes to the combination of looks and performance. There are a few games which look as good or almost as good, but not many that run so smoothly at that level of detail.

I savoured every minute of this game and took my sweat time to complete it. I have been gaming since the late 70's and this is without a doubt the best game I have ever played. The puzzles are the right amount of difficult and you get those doh moments when you figure one out. It looks simply stunning. In VR there is nothing that matches it. The combat is great fun, ducking down behind skips to avoid incoming fire. You can even wear the hats you find.

The end when you become Gordon and get the crow bar sent a shiver down my spine lol. I really really hope they make a follow up.

Caporegime
The end when you become Gordon and get the crow bar sent a shiver down my spine lol. I really really hope they make a follow up.

I have seen what you're talking about (I don't own the game but I couldn't help it)

Eli even says to Gordan "you've still got work to do"

God I hope and pray for HL3 everyday and I'm confident it will happen...when it happens.

Anyway I'm sure it's possible to have an entire thread based on that discussion so we should do that if we wish to continue!

Soldato
Maybe they tested the water with Alyx to see how well it sells/received and you never know it might already be in the works as the next VR title ! If that spoiler was at the end of a TV series its a sure fire indication that there will be a sequel !

Soldato
Maybe they tested the water with Alyx to see how well it sells/received and you never know it might already be in the works as the next VR title ! If that spoiler was at the end of a TV series its a sure fire indication that there will be a sequel !

Also they now have a really well optimised engine and dev system that supports VR, so producing a sequel should be easier, especially considering they have a bunch of HL assets created.

Soldato
I have seen what you're talking about (I don't own the game but I couldn't help it)

Eli even says to Gordan "you've still got work to do"

God I hope and pray for HL3 everyday and I'm confident it will happen...when it happens.

Not to burst your bubble. But.

You are forgetting that Half life: Alyx is set before Half Life 2.

So the work Eli is talking about is basically a lead into the Half Life 2 game.

Soldato
melmac said:
You are forgetting that Half life: Alyx is set before Half Life 2.

So the work Eli is talking about is basically a lead into the Half Life 2 game.

Actually...

The ending of Alyx time jumps forward to the ending of Episode 2, and you play (briefly) as Gordon Freeman. It's leading directly into HL3, Episode 3, or whatever a possible sequel would be.

Soldato
I started a second playthough on the Quest with wireless, but I've gone back to the Index as the performance is so much better, and the visuals so much clearer. I'm trying to get that darn gnome all the way to the end of the game. if it's one thing that shows up any jankiness in the physics, it's that gnome. It also has a habit of disappearing when you load an autosave.

Associate
I seem to of hit an issue today where this game is now only using 2 of my 4 cores. 100% on 2 cores and about 15% on the other 2. Not sure whats caused this or how to fix it.

Edit: fixed it with process lasso

Just finished game, literally don't have words to describe how hyped I am.

Hi, could you explain how you fixed it? I've downloaded process lasso but I have no idea what to do next!

Back
Top Bottom