***Han Solo movie***

Soldato
Was meh, not sure if I expected better with all the tales of producion woe though.

One thing this film also reminded me of was how much I hate screenplays that have characters be totally nonchalant about death/dying or self-sacrificing, or dying in hollow ways:
'Need to buy some time for my friends, guess I better just kill myself without hesitation!'
'Nooo my friend died! #sosad... don't worry I'll act like it never happened by the next scene'

Not saying film has to imitate life perfectly, but it always takes me out of the movie.

Man of Honour
I was of the view that she had, actually, been corrupted (which had been alluded to by Woody all along) - the predominant reason for her taking the reigns was for her own personal glory (although she did still care for Han).

Soldato
Just watched this. It's the best movie out of the new ones they have done so far tbh. Maybe by some margin. Unlike TLJ it actually has strong lead characters.

OFC a Starwars movie seems to require an annoying character that ruins for atmosphere of the movie for some reason (the droid in this case), but luckily not for long in this one. The guy playing Lando absolutely nailed it though :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Just watched this. It's the best movie out of the new ones they have done so far tbh. Maybe by some margin. Unlike TLJ it actually has strong lead characters.

OFC a Starwars movie seems to require an annoying character that ruins for atmosphere of the movie for some reason (the droid in this case), but luckily not for long in this one. The guy playing Lando absolutely nailed it though :D

"the guy playing lando" ??

He is the biggest star of the movie. The man, the legend that is Troy/Childish Gambino/Donald Glover. I know of literally tens of people who went to watch the movie just because he is in it.

Edit: Are you Cardi B? https://people.com/music/cardi-b-learned-donald-glover-childish-gambino-same-person/

Soldato
Saw this last night... I hadn't seen the trailers, or indulged in any preview material or fan discussion about it so was completely clean to make my own mind up about it...

Firstly thanks so much Samsung and Renault or whatever car company it was that both screened adverts before the movie that featured several clips from the movie I was about to watch that spoiled a few of the fun lines/references :mad:

As for the movie, I loved it... like really enjoyed it, and I'm generally fairly cynical and quick to pick things apart so even I was surprised by that! The casting was top notch, the references were done just the right amount and not at all as blatant and cheesy as they could have been. It felt like Star Wars though, it really did... I didn't hate TLJ but I definitely came away from it thinking "Did I like that? There were bits I liked... I need to think on it"... whereas "Solo" I left thinking "Wow! That was awesome!"

To be honest the only thing I wasn't too keen on (as some above have mentioned) was Lando's droid... something about the weird Feminist (droid-ist?) SJW personality just felt too "current" and topical to go into a movie like this (a little bit like the weird "animal rights" slant in that particular section of TLJ)... and I'm increasingly feeling like trying to shoehorn in a "wacky droid" character into every goddamn movie is starting to wear a bit thin. See I had always felt that R2-D2 was a sort of unique droid in a sense, his playful quirks and stuff weren't a common thing and most droids didn't really have a "personality" to speak of. But now every movie has to have one, I dunno... it feels like it diminishes R2 as a character and makes him less special... I liked the idea that Lando traveled with a co-pilot and they maybe had a relationship there still, but maybe she would have been better as an alien of some sort (Lando likes to get freaky :p)

You can't please everyone of course, but I'm struggling a bit to see how anyone who considers themselves a true Star Wars fan wouldn't enjoy this movie - is it just becoming in-vogue to hate on this franchise?

Soldato
Watched it last night, have to say I was certainly entertained.

All the main story characters were decent, decent villain and all came together at the end.

Just the right amount of space action and fan service.

No real complaints worthy of getting enraged on an internet forum about.

is it just becoming in-vogue to hate on this franchise?

I rate a movie on the basis if I was entertained or not, that's coming from a fan of the franchise. I really couldn't care if they stomped some fan fiction or broke a few rules, its a fantasy world...

I just un-sub from these threads now, its easier that way ;), people are still moaning and arguing in the TLJ thread 6 months on....

Caporegime
To be honest the only thing I wasn't too keen on (as some above have mentioned) was Lando's droid... something about the weird Feminist (droid-ist?) SJW personality just felt too "current" and topical to go into a movie like this (a little bit like the weird "animal rights" slant in that particular section of TLJ)...

I'm not sure how you spin someone wanting to free their people from slavery (as she sees it) as "Feminist SJW". That's just odd.

I thought she was an awful character because she was out of keeping with the droids-as-tools style of Star Wars, and seemed like she was intended as comic relief without being particularly funny. The weird one-on-one with Qi'ra and the death scene were just poor.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I'm struggling a bit to see how anyone who considers themselves a true Star Wars fan wouldn't enjoy this movie - is it just becoming in-vogue to hate on this franchise?

It's not that - the true Star Wars fans decided to boycot this movie to get Kathlyn Kennedy fired and hopefully avoid another TLJ. Boycot:because it was the only weapon left to them. This movie: because it's of no relevance - it's not a core canon story - this story can wait and they can wait to see it on BluRay. It had nothing to do with weather it was quality adventure or not. The movie was OK, neither excellent nor terrible, it was just OK. If I was in good mood I would say "everything went better than expected", if I was in bad mood I would say "very average effort for the money". But in truth Solo is simply not relevant here and now. There was more important issue for the fans. Core Star Wars story in TLJ treated the universe and characters we loved with hate, and we responded en masse. It didn't take much effort - I am the old core fan audience for this franchise and I watched this movie alone, in mostly empty cinema, I didn't tell anyone I was going and as a result we didn't organise group trip as usual. For every one of me out there, that didn't go, or decided to go alone, Disney lost two, three, five, ten ticket sales. The fans have spoken. Let there be no mistake - Star Wars is not big because of budget or merch - it's big because of us - fans. And we want our old Star Wars back. Because (and this is going to get corny really fast from here) Star Wars, you see, is not about fighting what we hate, it's about saving what we love. seewhatIdidthere.gif ;)

Suspended
It's not that - the true Star Wars fans decided to boycot this movie to get Kathlyn Kennedy fired and hopefully avoid another TLJ. Boycot:because it was the only weapon left to them.

Rubbish.

"the true star wars fan" in your mind = anyone that doesn't agree with me isn't a real fan.

I'm going to see Solo again next week. It's really impressed me.

I'm not saying TFA or TLJ live up to the original trilogy, but they are both better movies than the awful prequels.

Caporegime
Was meh, not sure if I expected better with all the tales of producion woe though.

One thing this film also reminded me of was how much I hate screenplays that have characters be totally nonchalant about death/dying or self-sacrificing, or dying in hollow ways:
'Need to buy some time for my friends, guess I better just kill myself without hesitation!'
'Nooo my friend died! #sosad... don't worry I'll act like it never happened by the next scene'

Not saying film has to imitate life perfectly, but it always takes me out of the movie.
Ive always got the impression from a lot of these movies, especially space based movies is that death is an ever present risk and happens regularly. They're not so much nonchalant as desensitised to it.

v0n

v0n

Soldato

It really wasn't about you. It's OK not to join the fan effort, you don't have to man the barricades, nobody is going to call you traitor to revolution or anything. You don't have to feel guilty or upset by the labels. But it's also OK for others not eat up every **** they feed you and cheer for it Hanna. You do understand that, don't you?

Soldato
Rubbish.

"the true star wars fan" in your mind = anyone that doesn't agree with me isn't a real fan.

I'm going to see Solo again next week. It's really impressed me.

I'm not saying TFA or TLJ live up to the original trilogy, but they are both better movies than the awful prequels.

I actually prefer the prequels to TFA and TLJ but not Rogue One. The world building was better and the immense size of the Star Wars galaxy was more apparent. TFA utterly failed in this regard, the whole thing felt like it took place in a single solar system.

Soldato
I'm not sure how you spin someone wanting to free their people from slavery (as she sees it) as "Feminist SJW". That's just odd.

I thought she was an awful character because she was out of keeping with the droids-as-tools style of Star Wars, and seemed like she was intended as comic relief without being particularly funny. The weird one-on-one with Qi'ra and the death scene were just poor.

TBH I get the impression the character was a bit of an afterthought.

I actually prefer the prequels to TFA and TLJ but not Rogue One. The world building was better and the immense size of the Star Wars galaxy was more apparent. TFA utterly failed in this regard, the whole thing felt like it took place in a single solar system.

Yea the prequels were very different movies really, in the way they were shot and the setting. They were more "fantasy" and less gritty than the originals and the recent movies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom