• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has Anyone Moved From Nvidia To Amd And Not Regretted It

Flitted between both over the years, mainly AMD due to the price/performance (currently a RX6900XT). Also, the last time I switched to Nvidia I found myself missing the AMD Adrenalin driver suite in Windows and no fuss driver support in Linux.

Edit : Reading through the Blackwell thread and people "casually" talking about spending £1600-£2000 on a 5090, just isn't my idea of value. So doubt i'll have that many more Nvidia cards in future as their midrange (where i'd imagine what i'm prepared to spend comes in) is normally gimped in some way and doesn't seem to have the greatest lifespan comparatively.

Last edited:
In all honesty I switch between both, which ever peaks my interest more at the time, price, aesthetics, power draw etc. Both have there issues, sometimes one side more than others but you cannot really go wrong with either.

This reminds me of around 2010 when you had these issue with AMD GPU's and the fix was to turn off hardware acceleration in the web browser, that was a huge story at the time, now that this is a never ending problem with Nvidia.... silence.

My ultimate fix for this was to remove the Nvidia GPU!

I never encountered these checkerboard like patterns on Chrome, Edge and Firefox watched videos on youtube and other websites everyday since 2010.

I never encountered these checkerboard like patterns on Chrome, Edge and Firefox watched videos on youtube and other websites everyday since 2010.

Not everyone did or does, its why its so difficult for these vendors to nail down, AMD fixed it, Nvidia pretend its not a thing, and yes i'm annoyed by that because when it first started happening i thought it was a problem with the GPU and i couldn't diagnose it, until reports of others having the same problem started appearing, it wound me up for about 2 years as Nvidia and tech jurnoes forever pretended it was not a thing.

Now switch that around to AMD, well you don't need to because many years ago AMD had the same problem and every tech journo was all over it like a rash.

Double standards and the same people blame AMD for a lack of competition for Nvidia's inflated prices.

I have been on Nvidia since well basically since they come out, but noticing the 7900xt and 7900xtx getting great reviews.
So fancy a change as either of them cards are great by looking at the reviews so was wondering if anyone has made the change
and if so was it worth it or did you change back thanks.

Last Nvidia card I had was 560Ti, been AMD ever since, in my case no issues with drivers just every game works, when I was with Nvidia I had issues and odd lockup etc especially with Nvidia factory overclocked cards, reason why I moved was better pricing with AMD and Nvidia gamers are getting ripped off IMHO, way overpriced, AMD is just better value for my money and my current 7900XT just works and is quiet if you customise the fan speeds, don't think I will ever go back to Nvidia due to pricing, also DLSS is overhyped IMHO.

BTW my first 3d card was Voodoo 3dfx ,then went to Nvidia TNT and Geforce 2 etc....Shame a lot of FUD is said about AMD and Nvida gamers believe the BS. I've been gaming on PC sinc IBM intel 486 days and before that Commodore Amiga etc..

Wife went from a 3080 to a Nitro 7900XT. She plays at Ultrawide 3840x1600, and everything runs better than the 3080 which was really beginning to struggle a bit at times.

She gets better performance at UW with the 7900XT, than I do at QHD with a 3080...so yeah definately more powerful, and no worries at all about VRAM anymore, as the card has 20GB compared to the 10GB of the 3080, so should avoid any memory relating hitching at all if the framebuffer is exceeded.

She's had very few issues too, it just works. Our 3080s consume roughly 350W also, so very little power consumption difference.

If the 8900XTX or whatever its called comes out and genuinely is a 7900XTX, marginally faster, better raytracing, and costing £500, I'd be very tempted, as we all know Nvidia's Blackwell is not going to come cheap, even if it is decently faster than the 4 series.

Last edited:
I moved from a 3070ti to a 7900XT and at first I really missed DLSS but then I messed about with a few options in the unfamiliar AMD control panel and the click of one switch I'm getting around 350+ FPS in rust with a mix of medium to high settings at 1440p @ 165hz which is just incredible.

I would have gone Nvidia again but them just constantly skimping on Vram put me off,even the 5080 is rumoured to only have 16gb of ddr7 I believe which is shocking for what we know will be a very expensive card!

I don't regret switching to AMD and are very happy with my 7900XT,albeit load power consumption is a tad high but it performs!

Last edited:
I moved from a 3070ti to a 7900XT and at first I really missed DLSS but then I messed about with a few options in the unfamiliar AMD control panel and the click of one switch I'm getting around 350+ FPS in rust with a mix of medium to high settings at 1440p @ 165hz which is just incredible.

I would have gone Nvidia again but them just constantly skimping on Vram put me off,even the 5080 is rumoured to only have 16gb of ddr7 I believe which is shocking for what we know will be a very expensive card!

I don't regret switching to AMD and are very happy with my 7900XT,albeit load power consumption is a tad high but it performs!
That is the exact card I have the Aorus master version.....what power supply have you got for the 7900xt?

Wife went from a 3080 to a Nitro 7900XT. She plays at Ultrawide 3840x1600, and everything runs better than the 3080 which was really beginning to struggle a bit at times.

She gets better performance at UW with the 7900XT, than I do at QHD with a 3080...so yeah definately more powerful, and no worries at all about VRAM anymore, as the card has 20GB compared to the 10GB of the 3080, so should avoid any memory relating hitching at all if the framebuffer is exceeded.

She's had very few issues too, it just works. Our 3080s consume roughly 350W also, so very little power consumption difference.

If the 8900XTX or whatever its called comes out and genuinely is a 7900XTX, marginally faster, better raytracing, and costing £500, I'd be very tempted, as we all know Nvidia's Blackwell is not going to come cheap, even if it is decently faster than the 4 series.

7900xt here, it's 2x from my 3060ti and works with (AMFM) framegen, which is good enough for my needs....
Sadly I can't see anything on the horizon that will be a (worthwhile) improvement for the same budget... (I.e. I expect 5070 to be £700-800 and not much faster than 7900xtx)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom