• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has Anyone Moved From Nvidia To Amd And Not Regretted It

Nvidia + decent prices will never happen, Those days are long gone, Nvidia is now a company for people who are looking to spend around £500 which will get you a lower mid range card and the price sharply climbs from there.

True. At least we have AMD so can save £50 or so by going for their alternatives :p

Honestly though, really hope AMD do mean it when they say they want to claw some market share away from nvidia. If they mean it they will price their new cards properly from the get go.

They know full well pricing matters a lot. They learned this very well with Ryzen.

Would be nice to see them with at least 30% market share. But they won't get that with their current we are a premium brand strategy.

Last edited:
So you went and to a card with at best equal or lower performance? https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xfx-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-magnetic-air/31.html

Got to be honest i don't really get that either, i know earlier i made driver comparisons, my experience between modern Nvidia and AMD and i stand by that but the reason i don't say it too often and don't really make that my reasoning for one over the other is that there is nothing wrong with either of them, these days they are very solid on both sides, something that isn't a concern, but its also why i hate it, particularly when so-called reviewers use tiered worn out AMD driver tropes as part of their arguments, in this case i'm simply using it as a retort, the internet has plenty of examples of my experience with Nvidia and there are plenty of people who have had the same flawless experience with AMD.
These arguments are ****** stupid made by people who don't have a real complaint as a basis for a rant, Steve Walton.

With all of that said, the 6800 XT is equivalent to the 3080, it is not better, unless you're in need of the extra 6 GB VRam, in which case one could make the argument but that alone is a huge reach as in raster performance they are equal and the 3080 is better in RT.

A little strange but many people think i should have gone for the 4070 and to me that is idiotic, this not so much, each to thier own.

Late to the party, switched from a 4090 to a 7900xtx I've lost out on ray tracing/path tracing and better frame gen performance and just not knowing the interface as well as I did Nvidia's when I need to make changes to fix any potential issues.

Other than that, more than happy with the switch, I only had a serious performance issue with one game FC24 and thankfully that's been resolved with FC25.

Mostly played at 4K 120-144hz. I've been mostly running everything at native to get best picture quality, except for the competitive high fps games.

I think it's been 3-4 months now can't remember exactly, you do get what you pay for with select games (CP2077, Alan Wake 2 and a few other choices) but if you play a wide variety of games on and off you don't really know what you're missing unless you're doing a H2H comparison in real time.

I've had (almost) nothing but Radeon as my main GPUs ever since they've existed pretty much, and they've been excellent (still currently using an RX 6800). BUT what I will say is that today is perhaps the worst time to buy a Radeon GPU in history, because RDNA 3 is an absolutely pathetic generation and gets humiliated in high-end scenarios where you'd need performance the most and it's not even that cheap. So at a 7900 XT+ budget I'd not consider AMD at all and would rather buy Nvidia. AMD really only still make sense <$500 because otherwise the competition is gimped beyond all recognition with a paltry 8GB of vram so the AMD vs Nvidia differences become irrelevant (RT etc.) I see you made the poor choice of a 3070 Ti so I'm sure you understand that pain. It's actually quite unfortunate because the 3070 Ti is still quite a potent card but the vram completely hobbles it, so that makes an upgrade path quite painful because either you pay a little for similar power but with workable memory, or a lot more for an actual upgrade. Probably best to suffer with it a bit more until next gen of cards launch, but for anything <$1000 that's basically another year of waiting.

running the sapphire pulse 7800xt since christmas and no problems, very solid card and before that i had the 5700 version which is in my dads rig running solid as well :)

my last nvidia card though was the nvidia geforce 5 5900xt lol but i am no fanboy it just happens that amd/ati have always had more affrodable and decent performing cards for my needs when i have been looking to upgrade :)

Funny enough, I just picked up a brand-new Zotac 4070 Super for £466. After using two generations of AMD cards, I still have my 7900 GRE, and honestly, it's just as fast as the 4070 Super. The main difference is that AMD's AFMF can be a pain to get working smoothly. I tried my wife's 4070 and really liked how hassle-free Frame Generation worked on it.
I'll probably throw the 7900 GRE into another PC I have lying around

Last edited:
Last Nvidia card I had was 8800GT :D

since then I've always bought what gives the most FPS for my budget and its always been AMD (6950 / 280 / 580 / vega64 / 6800 / 7900xt)
just keeping up with 144hz 1440p is expensive enough for me - ray tracing can do one until its just another feature that you turn on (while still getting 144hz 1440p)
other options also always meant a downgrade on VRAM size which also never felt like a good choice

if NV made a card that was the most FPS for my budget (vs AMD) - and not a VRAM downgrade - then I would buy it

Running a 7800XT for games without frame generation/upscaling and wireless VR to a Quest 3.
Very happy overall. No issues, no crashes and great AV1 encoding performance for Quest 3 PCVR.

At the time it cost £100 less than a 4070, so a great buy for me.

Oh it also runs decent sized local LLM's integrated into my IDE that I can use with my work source without issues of IP leaking, etc.

I bought the 3080 second hand and it had a problem which I could not resolve.

Decided to go new and given the extra ram (the 3080 was 10gb) and 2 year warranty went with the 6800xt.(could also turn off the bling which was a big + for me)

Am not overly bothered ref ray tracing.

Loss on 3080 was £100 approx but once you lose confidence in a product......

The move to AMD was a good one with smart access memory giving a little boost and reducing voltage cut my power usage and heat.

And the feeling that I am not being screwed ........

Back
Top Bottom