• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has Anyone Moved From Nvidia To Amd And Not Regretted It

AMD aren't giving up on high end cards, they are just concentrating on low to mid range for a gen or two presumably to try and gain some marketshare back.
ohhh so say their 7900xt/xtx tier are gonna go up against Nvidia midrange then which should blow nvidia out of the water or force Nvidia to either up their game or reduce prices.

ohhh so say their 7900xt/xtx tier are gonna go up against Nvidia midrange then which should blow nvidia out of the water or force Nvidia to either up their game or reduce prices.
Rumours are suggesting that next gen AMD will have a 8700XT as their fastest card which will offer performance similar to the 7900XT but with improved RT. Also launching FSR4 with AI upscaling at some point in the future. My guess would be to coincide with next gen cards release.
Providing the 8700XT is priced right then I don't see a problem and hopefully it will help AMD regain some market share

I went from 3060ti to 7900XT when they first went for £700 and have no regrets, basically double performance in raster (from 3060ti) and trading blows with 3090 in RT from benches I've seen.

I've had AMD cards in the past (5850 and 6950, may be others that I forgot about) and they've been mostly fine.
At one point I thought I had 'driver issues' with the 5850 but then my cheap chinese PSU failed catastrophically and once I replaced it with a Corsair HX850 those 'driver issues' magically went away :D

A friend has a 4080 and when we spoke after I got the 7900XT he was kicking himself (only around 10% faster but £1200 vs £700! - launch price was madness though!)

GRE was a great deal on launch but with current pricing I think the XT is worth the extra ~£60, that said if you're prepared to wait until at least Q1 25 then a 5070(/ti) may be better VFM (but you won't get as much for your current card at that point).

Final note - I do have some issues with HDMI to my TV (occasionally not detecting signal), but since moving to a DP>HDMI adapter it's been fine (this is likely specific to my set up, as I haven't seen anyone else mention the same issue)

The scary thing is that Nvidia are so far ahead of AMD already that they are just toying with them let alone when AMD ‘pulls’ out of the high end.

If Nvidia wanted to this gen they could have launched the 4080 as a 4070 for $600 and then launched a 4080 on the 102 die for $750 and still made a decent profit.

Last edited:
The scary thing is that Nvidia are so far ahead of AMD already that they are just toying with them let alone when AMD ‘pulls’ out of the high end.

If Nvidia wanted to this gen they could have launched the 4080 as a 4070 for $600 and then launched a 4080 on the 102 die for $750 and still made a decent profit.
But they did not they constantly rip the consumer off whether it be cost or less memory.

Recently had a 9 month ownership of a 6650Xt in my itx pc which I travel with. I have to say, the driver issues are a thing of the past. Can’t say I had a single driver crash in that entire time so I’d have no qualms buying again.
That said, I do love the power efficiencies of NV 4000 series, even though you pay extra!

Yet they didn’t do that did they?

Lots of ifs and maybes in that post. Here let me turn it around. AMD could have trolled Nvidia so easily by releasing the 7900 XT for $600 and the 7900 XT for $750 and still made a profit on both. A GPU half the price of a 4080 and only 10% slower in raster and the XT would be faster in raster but $450 cheaper. At that price for that level of raster performance and 3080 - 3090 level RT, Nvidia would have been epically trolled.

But neither hypothetic made up scenario happened.

I will not delude myself that Nvidia will release a 5080 with 4090 like performance for anything less than $1200 (and possibly higher). Let alone some laughably ridiculous price like you just spewed. It took Nvidia decades to brainwash us all in to accepting the new “norm”. They will not undo it with releasing faster GPUs at lower prices. Especially as AMD are not contesting the higher end.

Face it, your epic wait for AMD to force Nvidia to sell you a decent GPU at a decent price, is not going to happen. You want 4090 like performance for $600 and only if it’s Nvidia branded… come back in a couple of generations.

I’ll be holding on to my 4080 for another few years I think.

Last edited:
People remember the $900 7900 XT, but it seems no one remembers the $1200 4080, because no one cares about that, people only care to blame AMD for Nvidia's pricing when the reality is it's actually your fault.

I don’t agree with that assessment. Nvidia were roundly chastised by the tech press for their 4080 and “4080 12GB” pricing and naming. Though in general Nvidia do get away with a lot more crap than AMD would.

That negative press is why they rebranded the 4080 12GB to a 4070Ti and charged the same price for it. It’s it did seem hypocritical it reviewed so well considering it was massively overpriced.

Even at their original release prices the 7900 XT made a 4080 look overpriced. And the 7900 XT release price was a joke.

Last edited:
Ok so which model should I get and is my 850w power supply good enough for a xt or xtx?
You can can get 7900xtx make sure your power supply has 3 pcie power cables. Sapphire are the AMD maker I would get. Once you are happy with the card. Come on over to the dedicated forum if you fancy some tuning. It does respond very well to undervolting.

I don’t agree with that assessment. Nvidia were roundly chastised by the tech press for their 4080 and “4080 12GB” pricing and naming. Though in general Nvidia do get away with a lot more crap than AMD would.

That negative press is why they rebranded the 4080 12GB to a 4070Ti and charged the same price for it. It’s it did seem hypocritical it reviewed so well considering it was massively overpriced.

Even at their original release prices the 7900 XT made a 4080 look overpriced. And the 7900 XT release price was a joke.
I agree the 7900 XT price was a joke, but it was 90% the 4080 for 75% the price. The 7900 XT is currently 60% the price of the 4080.

I just rewatched the HUB conclusion of the 4080, his complaints about the price was very soft touch, he concluded he didn't want to comment on it until he reviewed the 7900 XTX, so i watched the conclusion of that, he went very hard on that despite it being 20% cheaper and 5% faster, even citing AMD driver tropes, he compared it to the $1100 6950 XT, at $1000 its 40% faster and that's what set him off on a massive rant, the 4080 is 45% faster than the 3080 for 73% more money, he didn't care much about that.
Steve Walton's AMD driver tropes. Let me tell you after 8 months running a 7800 XT the drivers have been 100% solid, it has never, not once even slightly put a foot wrong, i cannot say the same about the RTX 2070S before it, never ending Chromium checker box artifacting that Nvidia and the press are completely ignoring.

He came to with in an inch of concluding the 4080 better value, suddenly he had a lot of good things to say about it and a 10 minute rant about AMD and their latest GPU.

I don't think the price of the 4080 ever really came down, when i look at them now they are still £1000 to £1200.

Last edited:
This reminds me of around 2010 when you had these issue with AMD GPU's and the fix was to turn off hardware acceleration in the web browser, that was a huge story at the time, now that this is a never ending problem with Nvidia.... silence.

My ultimate fix for this was to remove the Nvidia GPU!

Last edited:
You can can get 7900xtx make sure your power supply has 3 pcie power cables. Sapphire are the AMD maker I would get. Once you are happy with the card. Come on over to the dedicated forum if you fancy some tuning. It does respond very well to undervolting.
Will do and I have a Corsair RM850x has 3 as I use 3 now for the card I have thanks.

Nvidia + decent prices will never happen, Those days are long gone, Nvidia is now a company for people who are looking to spend around £500 which will get you a lower mid range card and the price sharply climbs from there.

Back
Top Bottom