• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has Anyone Moved From Nvidia To Amd And Not Regretted It

PC gamers rejected AMD/ATI when they've had better products than Nvidia on the market.
AMD drivers were terrible, then they brought out the catalyst drivers to try and fix the bad rap, and they were still terrible.

I wouldn't say they were rejected either they were the top cards at times and seemed the go to choice for a lot of people

I switched the other way, went from AMD to nvidia a couple of years back to give it a try, hated it......big time, over priced and cheaped out on vram which kept running out in games lol, it was a 3070 with 8gb of vram, on top of that I couldnt believe I needed a 3rd party piece of software to overclock or underclock it, I sold it as quickly as I brought it and went back to AMD, ive now got a 7800XT which runs everything I throw at it and got no intentions ever of giving nvidia another try.

But you guys do know that Lisa Su and Jesen Huang are related, they probably sit around a family dinner table laughing and toying with us all.

Last edited:
I switched the other way, went from AMD to nvidia a couple of years back to give it a try, hated it......big time, over priced and cheaped out on vram which kept running out in games lol, it was a 3070 with 8gb of vram, on top of that I couldnt believe I needed a 3rd party piece of software to overclock or underclock it, I sold it as quickly as I brought it and went back to AMD, ive now got a 7800XT which runs everything I throw at it and got no intentions ever of giving nvidia another try.

But you guys do know that Lisa Su and Jesen Huang are related, they probably sit around a family dinner table laughing and toying with us all.
Thinking of switching from 3070 to 7800xt with current prices… looks like power consumption is not too hig compared to 3070.

Thinking of switching from 3070 to 7800xt with current prices… looks like power consumption is not too hig compared to 3070.
No issues with mine at all, it runs everything I throw at it on an Alienware 34 inch ultrawide AW3423DWF Monitor, currently playing Final Fantasy XVI with the ultrawide mod.

Last edited:
I do tend to have more issues with AMD cards (on average), so at the time I do sort of regret it but it's not stopped me buying them again.

I would suggest avoiding the Sapphire Pulse line though. I believe this is the lowest tier of the Sapphire range. I have the 7900 XT Pulse and do wish I'd got something better, but I went for cheap, and regretted that.

Pulse are the more mainstream, but still AIB cards, and Nitro are the fancy one :)

The Pulse cards are still typically better than many standard or OEM cards though :)

My Wife has the Nitro 7900XT and it's really quite a beasty cooler on that thing, although a bit too much RGB lol

Last edited:
Yeah, in retrospect I do wish I'd gone for the XTX over the XT and gone for something like the Nitro. That's my main regret in this instance.
XT is a little lacking in the oomph department and the Pulse is slightly lacking in the, "feeling of quality" department.

My Mrs has the Sapphire Pulse 7700XT 12gb model in a mini ITX build, connected via HDMI to a 65" 4K TV, she games at 1920x1080 on it, but still at 65 inches, shes playing god of war ragnarok on high settings and its running perfectly fine, its limited to 60FPS but thats because of the TV, still impressive though, ive been looking at getting a Hisense E7 Pro 144hz TV 65" instead with Freesync Premium Pro built into it as the current one does sometimes have a little bit of tearing going on, but overall, its quite impressive.

Im running a Power Colour Red Devil 7800XT Limited Edition.

Last edited:
Radeon owner for the last 20 years, haven't had a major issue with the cards since 2008 and in that case it was a card fan failure.
My last 3 cards:

- 2013 HD 7970 no issues at all, fantastic card that got replaced in 2019 and my wife kept it until 2021 or 2022 IIRC
- 2019 RX 590 only issue I remember was the occasional driver timeout in Shadow Warrior 2 when pushing the card to its limits
- 2024 RX 7900GRE, no issues at all, ran anything I have and from gamepass flawlessy so far

Yeah, in the last 10 years I have gone 7950 -> 970 -> 980 -> 5700 -> 3060ti, and never had any issues with cards from either company.

At this point though, due to a small MATX case and 750w PSU, wattage and heat are very important factors for me.

Interesting that they are related sort of makes sense now.

AMD/Radeon cards are ok so long as you realise and your happy with a compromised features and specific performance experience in terms of ray tracing performance, worse quality upscaling and features that take longer to come out then the competition. On the plus side you typically get more video memory which gives their cards more legs whereas Nvidia gives you the bear minimum to run the current crop of games so your forced into upgrading when the next generation comes around.

Last edited:
PC gamers rejected AMD/ATI when they've had better products than Nvidia on the market.

Some people just refuse to buy AMD full stop.

It's their own fault there is a lack of competition in the GPU space.

They just keep buying Nvidia, even when they have inferior products.

They've essentially dug their own hole.

List out some of the GPUs that AMD/ATI had that were better than Nvidia's that people didn't buy? I can only think of one period between 2002 and 2006 where ATI had the best cards on the Market and because of that they had the best market share ever. Since then, it's been failure after failure apart from a few isolated cards. RDNA 2 cards were/are good. Then AMD been AMD messed up the whole RDNA 3 launch.

And if you think that's all nonsense, look at their CPU division. AMD fans were saying the same things about that. That People only buy Intel, that it's tech journos fault, it's lack of money etc. etc. etc. All the same crap over and over. Instead of blaming the actual problem, AMD themselves. Because AMD have turned the whole CPU space around by producing good products consistently. Something they have failed to do on the GPU side of things.

There are people who refuse to buy Nvidia cards full stop. There are rabid, stupid fanboys on both sides of the fence.

And no, it's not their fault there is a lack of competition in the GPU space. Because the majority of people aren't stupid rabid fanboys.

List out some of the GPUs that AMD/ATI had that were better than Nvidia's that people didn't buy? I can only think of one period between 2002 and 2006 where ATI had the best cards on the Market and because of that they had the best market share ever. Since then, it's been failure after failure apart from a few isolated cards. RDNA 2 cards were/are good. Then AMD been AMD messed up the whole RDNA 3 launch.

And if you think that's all nonsense, look at their CPU division. AMD fans were saying the same things about that. That People only buy Intel, that it's tech journos fault, it's lack of money etc. etc. etc. All the same crap over and over. Instead of blaming the actual problem, AMD themselves. Because AMD have turned the whole CPU space around by producing good products consistently. Something they have failed to do on the GPU side of things.

There are people who refuse to buy Nvidia cards full stop. There are rabid, stupid fanboys on both sides of the fence.

And no, it's not their fault there is a lack of competition in the GPU space. Because the majority of people aren't stupid rabid fanboys.

ATI market share peaked in Q3 2004 at 56%, that 50% peak lasted 12 months, by Q2 2006 they were down to 42% and it was perpetually down hill from there.

The Radeon X1800 XT was about the same performance at the 7800 GTX, and like the X800 before it the Radeon GPU was better value, in the case of the X1800 XT it was about $50 cheaper, $550 vs $600.

This was peak ATI market share.

Fast forward to the AMD era, the HD 4870, by this point ATI's market share had already fallen to 35% and AMD had bailed them out, the 4870 was the first GPU designed by AMD.

The HD 4850 was $200 and the HD 4870 $300, the GTX 280 was $500, the HD 4870 was as good as the GTX 280 and nearly half the price.

AnandTech.

For now, the Radeon HD 4870 and 4850 are both solid values and cards we would absolutely recommend to readers looking for hardware at the $200 and $300 price points. The fact of the matter is that by NVIDIA's standards, the 4870 should be priced at $400 and the 4850 should be around $250. You can either look at it as AMD giving you a bargain or NVIDIA charging too much, either way it's healthy competition in the graphics industry once again

The HD 4870 was launched in Q2 2008 at 38% market share, one year later AMD market share was down to 31%.

Q4 2013 AMD launched the R9 290X at 35% market share, it beat the GTX Titan at half the price and later matched the 7800 Ti at $200 cheaper, one year later AMD's market share fell to 25%.

ATI reached its peak 50%+ market share with GPU's as good as Nvidia 10% cheaper, AMD lost market share again with GPU's as good as Nvidia but up to 50% cheaper, explain that.

Last edited:
RE: that ^^^
IMO ATI fans saw AMD's bailout of ATI as a hostile takeover and never forgave them for it, in fact AMD saved ATI from going under, they even traded under the ATI name with the old ATI engineers for years after bailing them out.

This small mindedness is a large part of why Nvidia now dominate, even now people are cheering for Intel to take AMD's place with utter garbage GPU's.

I didnt regret the move. I was on a gtx 970 that was great for a year or so. But I did have driver issues with the card and eventually got an rx480 which was altogether a smoother experience, never had 1 driver issue in the time I had it and have had vega 64 and am now using a 6700xt.

I am considering an nvidia card for my next card though because I want to try out all the things people keep going on about like ray tracing and dlss etc.

I’ve had a new RTX 3070, then a used RTX 3080 (had various Nvidia and AMD/ATI GPUs before that) in recent years, switched to an RX 7900 XT and been happy with the performance and reliability.

On the RTX 3080, the fans were on the verge of complete failure, so I got a refund :) . This was caused by a design problem of the cooler, not really anything to do with it being a Nvidia GPU.

I think I’d be happy with frame generation technologies regardless of the company. But competitive Intel GPUs for gamers still aren’t really a thing.

My main concern about GPUs are the prices.

Personally, I would wait for an announcement on RDNA4 because that was meant to be coming in 2024, according to roadmaps:

Last edited:

First off, welcome back to the mad rant club:grin:

While I don't disagree, he has a point, objectively...

Some people just refuse to buy AMD full stop.
This, 79XTX/4080 launch price-no one's buying them, AMD react and drop the price early last year to (+-900)-my 79 XTX Pulse was £965 v £1200+ 4080('but AMD need to be much cheaper').

It's their own fault there is a lack of competition in the GPU space.

Nv eol the 4080 to launch the 2fps faster 4080S at the price point created by AMD, while Nv users waited a year to get a 4080 which diminishes the late to markets 80S value rather than sticking two fingers up to Nv and vote with their wallet and go AMD.:thumbsup:

This, 79XTX/4080 launch price-no one's buying them, AMD react and drop the price early last year to (+-900)-my 79 XTX Pulse was £965 v £1200+ 4080('but AMD need to be much cheaper').

Yep, launch price was a joke (both AMD at ~£1k and 4080 at £1200), but 7900XT at £700 was enough to get my money. 4070ti was enough performance (considering the software add-ons), but there was no way I was spending that sorta money on a 12GB card.. If they'd done 16GB in the first place (4070ti-S, £750-800) I probably would have gone that direction.

Back
Top Bottom