• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has Anyone Moved From Nvidia To Amd And Not Regretted It

FTFY

I get it, the release prices were a joke. But if someone is buying a GPU today we need to look at current prices. I’m going to judge the 7900XT I can buy today for £630 and two free games.
Can get one for under £550 currently

You can really buy the 3080 new anymore, you can pick up used for around £300.

The point I was making was at release the 7900XT was nearly 50% more than a 3080 was at release and came 2.5 years later so it should be better.

28%, 900 / 700 = 1.28.

Not saying it wasn't over priced, it was, to be clear.

FTFY

I get it, the release prices were a joke. But if someone is buying a GPU today we need to look at current prices. I’m going to judge the 7900XT I can buy today for £630 and two free games.
From a buying today I think you're right that you need to consider current prices and not launch prices.
If we're looking at a marketshare point of view then maybe we need to consider the launch prices rather than just assume "everyone hates AMD". Being £3.99 cheaper at launch than Nvidia when the overall product is, arguably, inferior, might be a contributing factor.

Of course the other factor in this thread is that very few people have switched like-for-like. There's a lot of "My brand new 7000 series AMD GPU is much better than my 13 year old Nvidia GPU. No complaints here.", which while valid might not tell the whole story.

From a buying today I think you're right that you need to consider current prices and not launch prices.
If we're looking at a marketshare point of view then maybe we need to consider the launch prices rather than just assume "everyone hates AMD". Being £3.99 cheaper at launch than Nvidia when the overall product is, arguably, inferior, might be a contributing factor.

Of course the other factor in this thread is that very few people have switched like-for-like. There's a lot of "My brand new 7000 series AMD GPU is much better than my 13 year old Nvidia GPU. No complaints here.", which while valid might not tell the whole story.

Given the whole argument for some people being that the AMD experience is just plain worse than Nvidia its a valid question and with that fellows valid answers, people don't, in general, switch the latest brand new Nvidia GPU for one from AMD, or vice versa so it stands to reason this is not the question.

Last edited:
So lots of people buying high end Nvidia are now buying high end AMD and yet AMD decide to pull out of the high end market?

Imo, AMD's allocating all their high end to pro space for maximum profit AI boom.

Imo, AMD's 'reassurance' of concentrating on low/midrange is PR spin.

Humbug gave the impression
Don't know why you came to that conclusion, @humbug and almost everyone else is simply repeating that impression .

So it’s a VRAM issue rather than a vendor specific problem? Granted you’re less likely to experience it on AMD cards as they are more generous with VRAM at the lower tiers.
Yes, vrams absolutely the reason I'm on XTX@4K, the cost for 16Gb is a bad buy with Nv's track record-unless you're guaranteed upgrading, which I'm not necessarily going to do.

Hoping to go back to one upgrade and demoting the fastest GPU to the second system, which couldn't be done with the 3070/80 setups, if the 3080 had 16gb, it would have been kept.

To be fair my 4080 at 4K and 16GB has been performing admirably without issues. The problem was never the performance, it was the price. It was always designed to upsell buyers to the 4090.

Funny, a colleague this week is champing at the bit to get a 5090. He was adamant the 4090 was twice as fast as the 3090Ti when it released. I showed him categorically it was nowhere near that and was about 50% faster and only at 4K. I even showed that it was not even close to twice as fast as a 3090. We looked at TPU and Guru3D and his response was, “well I can dream”.

This is the guy who sold me his 4080. I could sense he was hedging to sell me his 4090 and I told him, sure it’s only 25% faster than the 4080 you already sold me :D

He has been between a 4090, then a 4080, then a 7900 XTX and finally a 4090 again. He is nuts for upgrading and tinkering.

Last edited:
Newer gen gpu with an msrp of £900 better than gpu that launched 2 years prior for £650, no surprises there.
It should be yes, but we all know the 7900XTs RRP was inflated.
We paid £600 for hers, and realistically until the 4 series came out, partially down to COVID, the 3080s were typically costing 700-800+ for most of their onshelf lifespan unless you got lucky and got a founders card. The RRP on that actually went up IIRC as well. Either way, the vast majority of 3080 owners did NOT pay founders prices for it, but considerably inflated. Given that, the comparative prices during original run, are not that far out.

Point I was making was that the 7900XT, despite all the jokes thrown at it since release, is a surprisingly good card, and given said mockery, its easy to forget how good it actually is. It dominates the 3080's performance at QHD, whilst running at the more demanding 3840x1600...so decently faster even with the resolution uplift, whereas some of the vitriol thrown at it would make you think it was barely faster than a 3070, exaggerations aside, its a very decent card.

The VRAM means shouldnt have any issues there for a while either.

Honestly if the 8900XT/XTX is a tweaked 7900XTX, with the raster/clock bottlenecks eliminated, considerably uprated RT, and at a £500, I might just buy one, as Nvidia's 900-1000+ RRP line-ups are just getting silly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom