Have i got everything i'll need???

Associate
ahh i see what you mean, seen the idea on another thread so thought i would copy. in his finished build pics it looks like he has removed the roof slightly (not something id want to do. don't think i could have it in the front either due to the front bay vr panel...this is becoming really frustrating picking a case...! :D

Suppose i could go back to your idea of shallower RAM and use the Dark pro CPU cooler instead...
I know you like the bequiet cases, but they are quite limiting for some AIOs and air coolers. A different case manufacturer would definitely make things easier.

For an overclocked 8700k you'll need all the cooling you can get - either a decent dual tower air cooler or 240mm+ AIO.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I know, i think they look great but are defiantly proving to be limiting...

Here is an example I've quickly searched, supports 360mm rads on the roof, dust filters all round but according to reviews, not the best filters. Looks like it has front bay capability

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £118.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Soldato

Here is an example I've quickly searched, supports 360mm rads on the roof, dust filters all round but according to reviews, not the best filters. Looks like it has front bay capability

Roof of the pure has cover with 3 settings . Fully on, slightly open and a bit more

I know a 280 will fit in the front and block the 2nd bay .

Check reviews out on the Rock TF . Seen plenty of builds with tall kits. Corsair Dominators will fit

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7444/quiet-dark-rock-tf-top-flow-cpu-cooler-review/index5.html

Trident G Skill fitting under just fine
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/Dark_Rock_TF/5.html

image.php

Soldato
Roof of the pure has cover with 3 settings . Fully on, slightly open and a bit more

I know a 280 will fit in the front and block the 2nd bay .

Check reviews out on the Rock TF . Seen plenty of builds with tall kits. Corsair Dominators will fit

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7444/quiet-dark-rock-tf-top-flow-cpu-cooler-review/index5.html

Trident G Skill fitting under just fine
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/Dark_Rock_TF/5.html

image.php

The only thing I find with top down coolers is they look a bit awkward in an ATX case as they are usually used in small form factor ITX or matx cases. A bit like putting an ITX/matx board in a full tower. Just looks a bit off.

It does perform well though for a low profile cooler.

Soldato

I prefer the Phanteks Enthoo Pro/Pro M over the 450D as they have a bit more room and they also have a psu shroud for a cleaner looking build as well as hiding the internal drives.

The only trouble with going with a 360mm cooler is that you might have to remove the 5.25 drive cage in some cases, and obviously you want that for your VR bay. If it was me I would just go with the 280mm BeQuiet as it will still perform very well.

Soldato
The only thing I find with top down coolers is they look a bit awkward in an ATX case as they are usually used in small form factor ITX or matx cases. A bit like putting an ITX/matx board in a full tower. Just looks a bit off.

It does perform well though for a low profile cooler.

50/50 for looks for me, personally like it without the top fan haha , but when you've got a case like Lian Li PC-o11 and can see it from a side angle... Damn it's cracking !
Will have one on itx board for the next year :D

Another option I can think of that combines bequiet, top down cooler and traditional tower, will have to check about ram height but

Total: £96.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Now that would look stunning ! And is on sale

Soldato
50/50 for looks for me, personally like it without the top fan haha , but when you've got a case like Lian Li PC-o11 and can see it from a side angle... Damn it's cracking !
Will have one on itx board for the next year :D

Another option I can think of that combines bequiet, top down cooler and traditional tower, will have to check about ram height but

Total: £96.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Now that would look stunning ! And is on sale

Ram clearance looks ok (Last pic in listing).

Total: £69.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

For nearly £90 though it is expensive compared to a Cryorig R1, Noctua D15S or Dark Rock 3/Pro3 etc.

Soldato
Have built in the 450D. Felt very cheap and as Lee mentioned very tight space at the back. Velcro wouldn't do the job, needed plenty of cable-ties. One of the most over-priced cases on the market by about £40. Saving grace is 3 cheap stock fans included and good airflow. Say £20 for the 3 fans and £40 for the case is what it's really worth.

Associate
OP
@southernorth @orbitalwalsh

Ok gents, been doing some thinking and I've decided to ditch the Be quiet theme as it just becoming too much of pain in the arse to get everything to fit and work well.

Couple of questions on current basket.

1. Is the AIO decent? Seen a X62 kraken but a lot more expensive, why?
2. Can i move the RBG halos from the supplied fans in the case and attached to the AIO? Not massively keen on the look of the RGB fans at the front but think it would look cool if it were shining down over the kit...don't really want it looking like a disco from the front you see. Im going to change the front fans to black on black.
3. Is the 500GB SSD enough storage to run an OS and games off of? OR Would it be better to get say another 128GB M.2 SSD to run OS off? Obviously will be more money but i only want to do this once for the next good few years!
4. Is 550W PSU definitely enough?
5. Recommend me a good monitor that will do VR with the 11gpbs Aorus card ill be getting with the build please.
6. Ive added one more fan so there will be two at front and one at rear, good idea?

Thanks for your input once again, I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN A PAIN!! haha :D

MERRY XMAS!

Total: £1,780.83 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
1) Yes the H115i is a good cooler and performance should be very similar to the X62. No idea why the NZXT costs more though. It does have a slightly longer warranty of 6 years over 5 years with the H115i.

2) I don't see why not as they are just a frame. As long as the fan screws are long enough then it should be fine.

3) Should be. Windows is around 20GB so you will have a good chunk left for games. I would add a HDD though for mass storage for any large downloads.

4) For a GTX 1080 it is. Some people suggest 650W for a 1080 ti. You could get the Antec Earthwatts Pro Gold 650W for an extra £5 if you don't mind a semi modular unit and want a bit of headroom. It is made by Seasonic and based on the Focus Gold. Has a 7 year warranty. There is also have an Antec rep on the forum (Ace Modder).

Total: £90.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

5) How much do you want to spend is the golden question ? I would be looking for a G-Sync myself so you can either go for 1080p or 1440p depending on your pref and budget. Obviously a 1080p monitor would give you higher framerates.

6) I see two fans in your list :) Yeah that is how I would do it. Have the two front fans running faster than the rear/AIO fans and you should hopefully get positive airflow.

Review of the 750W version of the Antec psu:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/antec-earthwatts-gold-pro-750w-psu-review/

Associate
To further complete the look of the PC, you could get some custom power cables - these look much nicer than the standard plastic ones:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search/index/sSearch/phanteks+cable

Variety of colours available. These are definitely not essential, but will make the system look tidier through the window. Go for the fully modular PSU if you get these cables.

The fan frames come with extra long UNC 6-32 Radiator Screws, so you should be able to mount them to the radiator. They are also Gigabye RGB Fusion ready, so you can sync lighting effects across your entire PC.

Also, it might be worth getting the extra case fans in white, as the lighting effects would be more pronounced than on black fans.

Last edited:
Soldato
1) Yes the H115i is a good cooler and performance should be very similar to the X62. No idea why the NZXT costs more though. It does have a slightly longer warranty of 6 years over 5 years with the H115i.

Uses folder gen asstek unit. Nzxt uses most recent. Corsair new units with current gen releases very very soon , should be at CES in Vegas . Unfortunately couldn't switch to Alphacool units but least their new custom water parts are (technically Heatkiller)
New units have 360 AIO which would be worth it

Damn, made a good saving finding the Aorus for cheap , it's a cool unit but still worth putting on the thermal Grizzlie Paste onto the core, specially with Pascal, every 5c cooler you can get it, the better the boost . All stock GPU paste is around 4 wm/k

Associate
OP
Thankyou for the input gentlemen, just putting together a final basket whilst taking into your answers.

Monitor wise id want something wide, 28" and above, would this look better in 1080 or 1440p taking into account my Aorus? After bit of reading it looks like I'll want 60fps for racing games

Also, just seen the oculus rift is on sale for £349 :D Tempting!!

Samsung SSD above found for £135 Vs Crucial SSD found for £110 (in previous basket)...which is the better buy?

i7 8700k on sale £335, is not unlocked and is 3,2 GHz though...

This monitor found at £299
34UM69G 34” 2560X1080 IPS 1MS 75HZ FREESYNC ULTRA-WIDE WIDESCREEN LED GAMING MONITOR

Last edited:
Soldato
Get the VR headset, why your getting the Aorus card and build :) killer deal

I'd get any SSD that offers the most space for the cheapest :)

If your happy. Fire that trigger ! Will out a smile on your face !

That case can take 420 AIO..?!?!. Give the Eisbaer 420 a Google...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom