Hazro 24" S-IPS, micro review + chat

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Well the fixes in revision 2 (which should be the final revision of this lineup too let's hope!) should put the 24" screen in a unique area as it should be the the only 24" TFT out there at the moment with S-IPS, HDMI, HDCP, Component, VGA, DVI, Audio in, Audio out and an all aluminium casing and of course the image quality/performance as well as the slick OSD which I much prefer over any other OSD I have ever used (lots) as it just does exactly what it's meant to, there's no delay whatsoever.

Associate
9 weeks to implement a vista fix and 2 hdmi port/92% gamut lets hope :)

I doubt it'll be 92% gamut since that would be change of panel and decreases it's desirability for some people like myself who prefer standard gamut which is less hassles for web photos.

Well the fixes in revision 2 (which should be the final revision of this lineup too let's hope!) should put the 24" screen in a unique area as it should be the the only 24" TFT out there at the moment with S-IPS, HDMI, HDCP, Component, VGA, DVI, Audio in, Audio out and an all aluminium casing and of course the image quality/performance as well as the slick OSD which I much prefer over any other OSD I have ever used (lots) as it just does exactly what it's meant to, there's no delay whatsoever.

HDMI would be great! Integrated VESA would be nice too. Can't wait. ;)

Associate

Have you any confirmation on this, because I cant see the July fix including HDMI, HDCP or sound input.
HDMI and sound input would mean extra cost with the sockets, new back panel and internal speakers.
HDCP would also cost to implement with the decryption chip and license.

So have you been told otherwise ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
As Phil has mentioned earlier whether it's extra cost or not is unconfirmed, early buyers may be entitled to an upgrade though for the troubles they have reported already but it's best to wait and see how it pans out.
As I also mentioned a while back they did ask many of us during the troubleshooting what we thought about HDMI connectivity and some other bits and what we thought was an ideal price for such a feature in a revised 24".
I would think any extra cost would not be too huge, certainly not so high to be more expensive than competing screens though!

Associate
Can I ask please what peoples experience is with these monitors regarding dead pixels - do they have a zero dead pixel policy like some manufacturers or is the under 5 and we wont do anything policy?

Spoke to Overclockers this morning and they are hoping to have them back in stock near end of month and when asked if will be new revision was told it would be the same revision as now.

They have them on now as 'pre-order' rather than 'out of stock'.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I only know of one person who had a line of dead pixels but then there were other things wrong with it too IIRC so a faulty screen altogether. I have not read of anyone else getting dead pixels though and it's quite rare for S-IPS to have common issues in this regard :)

Soldato
Dead pixel policy is the same as most other manufacturers, ISO 13406-2, which is around 2 per million pixels is seen as acceptable (it's not quite that simple, there's different rules for clusters and sub-pixels).

My 24" Silver model has no dead pixels. The 24" Black model my rep was going to swap it out with (didn't in the end as confirmed vista DMPS problem was the controller board) had 1 dead pixel.

Remember the Distance Selling Regs protect you a fair bit, you'll only get stung for return postage if it doesn't work out.

Associate
I do see some light inverse ghosting with mine, but I can honestly say that it's not really annoying. The ghosting on the Hyundai S-PVA thing I had was far, far worse. That was noticeable without me actively looking. With this, unless I stare and look for it I don't tend to notice at all.

For example: If I move my mouse cursor around on this forum (white cursor, blue background) I can just about see a black trail. It's only on certain colours I think.

It's been fine for gaming for me so far. I've not noticed any "input lag" issues. The scaling quality actually seems quite good too if any game can't handle 1920x1200, but I guess my old TFT was a good few years old, so that may be the norm these days. In short, games are absolutely fine. You could argue that I'm only a casual gamer though I suppose.

The only real complaint that I have are the purple tint at angles, which is sometimes noticeable because I sit awkwardly. I had read it has some kinda diffuse filter to help prevent this. I forget what it's called, but it was used in the infamous NEC. It doesn't seem to have this, so I would ignore those claims if you search and find them.

Oh, and the price, but then it's only about £50 more than most other VA based monitors, sometimes even costing about the same. It's worth it in my opinion :) I don't think I would want to swap it for any other monitor. It's a nice monitor as is, and I imagine it will only get better in future revisions. It seems to do a lot of things right.

I wouldn't read in to any 'gaming issues' too much personally. You'll likely only find such problems if you actively look for them :)

This thread could do with more pictures. My photography skills are naff, well, at least compared to mrk's. But here! Have them anyway :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Good to know you like it!
One thing I find is that the Hazro is so discreet about its size you could easily mistake it for a 22" screen and not a 24", I reckon this is because it's so contained, the stand is a part of the screen, the design is very slim and so it does not take up much 3d-space as such so looks more compact than other 24" screens that dominate with their large stands and the size in depth.

I also think only the 26" and above have the polariser filter but am not certain, not had too many issues in this regard though!

Associate
Good to know you like it!
One thing I find is that the Hazro is so discreet about its size you could easily mistake it for a 22" screen and not a 24", I reckon this is because it's so contained, the stand is a part of the screen, the design is very slim and so it does not take up much 3d-space as such so looks more compact than other 24" screens that dominate with their large stands and the size in depth.

I also think only the 26" and above have the polariser filter but am not certain, not had too many issues in this regard though!

I've not really noticed the size thing, but that could be because I didn't have the old 24" side by side. It seems about the same to me.

I have noticed that it seems to be a completely sealed unit. I suppose they can get away with this as the heat is dissipated through the Aluminium casing, so they don't need the air vents. I always used to get horrible tiny little flies stuck behind my old LG monitor in the summer. You could see them crawling about for a day behind the screen, then they'd roast, and you'd end up with black splodges of fly death stuck there! Bless LG, they replaced the thing every year though.

Polariser. That's it. It would have been nice to have it on the 24". It's not terribly annoying though. I think it's worse when sitting in the dark, which I don't like doing really, but some times it is unavoidable :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Once I get the VESA100 bracket I shall update with better pics as I think it will look like anice large 24" when it's raised up a little bit eh :p

Back
Top Bottom