• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HD 7000-series GPUs which are reportedly scheduled to make their entrance on December 5

Caporegime
How much performance increase will i see going from a 6950 to a 7950 and a 7870?

Would it be better to wait for the 7950/7970?

I appreciate you can only speculate but some rough figures would be nice. :D

Don
DM is no more pulling figures from his **** than anyone else is. All the talk about we know the architecture and so on means next to nothing when we don't know what clock rates and shader counts and so on will be, on top of not actually knowing how the architecture actually performs.

It could be the new 2900XT or it could be the new 8800GTX for all we really know. It is just an educated guess that it'll be 70-80% based on previous architecture changes and die shrinks, but it doesn't always work like that.

Associate
All theory and speculation.

Look what AMD said about Bulldozer for the past good knows how many years its been coming.

Why are you bringing up Bulldozer when that was made by a completely separate division? I find this curious because you wouldn't even base Ivy Bridge's success on how the latest Atoms perform, so why would you try to apply this flawed logic across an even bigger divide, i.e. GPU vs CPU?

Do you think the same engineering teams work on CPUs and GPUs? :confused:

Soldato
A completely new, superior architecture, more ability to help out in the future offloading CPU tasks onto the GPU and a vast improvement in GPU power, likely to be 70%+, was expecting more?

What exactly?

Maybe some boobs?

The GCN was not a suprise, they got a year or so to refine the new computing and hopefully add a good thing for those fire pro cards.

One 7970 will likely cover my needs and hopefully it OC like hell.

Caporegime
More text I dont need

You dont know the performance figure as there are no clock speeds released.

Thats whats really simple about it.

Why are you bringing up Bulldozer when that was made by a completely separate division? I find this curious because you wouldn't even base Ivy Bridge's success on how the latest Atoms perform, so why would you try to apply this flawed logic across an even bigger divide, i.e. GPU vs CPU?

Do you think the same engineering teams work on CPUs and GPUs? :confused:

How anyone can make a performance prediction because they think they may know how some new design works is beyond me, look at all the predictions for Bulldozer, look at the final result, completely different.

Associate
While some of the details probably will be a little different come release, what DM is saying is pretty much what AMD has been working towards, how sucessful they will be we won't know til nearer the time but as far as the idea behind it goes hes correct.

Would be great if true, as it could mean even smaller chips, cheaper cards, etc, but wouldn't this mean that AMD's current architecture for the 6000 series is horribly inefficient (at least in some areas)?

If this is the case and Nvidia works out something similar with Kepler, then we could be in for huge performance jumps from both camps next gen.

Wouldn't this architecture also help improve drivers in some respects as well?

Associate
Performance is pure guess work at this stage. Maybe AMD have played it safe with 28nm and have gone for a sub 300mm2 chip- so better yields, cheaper cards and earlier to the market but less of an improvement. There will be drawbacks to the changes that they have made for GPGPU reasons. Also the driver team will probably need sometime to get the best out of the new GPU's as they will be quite different to what AMD currently have(although one would think that it should be easier to optimism).

bru

bru

Soldato
speculation speculation speculation

OK so we now know a little more than we did, but not really enough to know just how well it will perform. could be good could be bad we will just have to wait and see.

my opinion not that anyone is really interested.....

i reckon it sounds like it will be quite a large chip, not quite as big as NV but large for AMD and hot, but of course its just speculation and that means I'm guessing same as everybody else.

Permabanned
Lol @ all the speculation
And lol @ all those whove been telling people for past 2 months not to buy a new card now cos there's new ones just round the corner, it's one LONG corner, which we still can't see the end of
At the end of the day until we know the proper release date, usually only reliably once OcUK receive stock, then this is poor advice, IMO

Caporegime
And lol @ all those whove been telling people for past 2 months not to buy a new card now cos there's new ones just round the corner, it's one LONG corner, which we still can't see the end of
At the end of the day until we know the proper release date, usually only reliably once OcUK receive stock, then this is poor advice, IMO

Oh, it's hilarious alright.
I've seen people back in August say "GPU's will be out in X weeks, don't buy!"

Soldato

6 weeks or so to go.
not that I need a new card and it be good to wait for more power.:D

Soldato
I think i will be going for a 7970/50. I usually go for medium high but i seem to be upgrading more than i used to, so not really saving that much money. Started of buying highend gpu's like the 9800pro and x1900xtx. They seemed to last much longer than mid to high gpu's, so spending the extra money on them probably wont hit my bank balance much.

Associate
Speculate to accumulate. Or something.

So IF (<- big if) this speculation of a 70% improvement is correctish, where would that put the 7970 in terms of the 6XXX series? Similar to a 6990? Two 6950s in crossfire?

Soldato
Will these cards be pci3 cards??? With ivybridge coming out early next year and many new boards being pic 3 compatible surely were gonna see them hitting markets soon ???

Back
Top Bottom