Hello All....Official Gigabyte Support Rep

Soldato
It's not just VGA.

They don't have any outputs at all to use the onboard GPU.

No VGA, no HDMI, no DVI and no DisplayPort.

The other motherboard manufacturers have managed to put some of these outputs on their motherboards.

I'm going to say what I have previously about P67 and Z68 again - I don't think we need display outputs on these boards. How many people genuinely need those outputs when they're buying a high end board? I know sometimes it may be handy, but not all that often. If you're worried about your primary GPU giving up the ghost, keep an old spare. That's what I've been doing for years and I've never even needed the thing. People who want a board to use with the onboard GPU should be looking elsewhere in my opinion, as they're already spending too much if they go Z68. Maybe there's a niche with such requirements, but mass produced boards aren't catering to niches.

Soldato
The response on Gigabyte's own forums is much better. Can't expect them to be everywhere now.

most of the threads are by non gigabyte staff on that forum , very rare you will see anybody from gigabyte tbh . i also visit that forum and have asked for help in the past and was help by a normal user and not by gigabyte staff:rolleyes::D;)

Soldato
Now you mention it, I had to use their dreadful support ticket system last year. I don't know if it's changed since but it was like talking to a brick wall sometimes.

Soldato
I have a question:

When will we see the Gigabyte GA-Z68-Gaming in the UK?

gagaming.jpg

Associate
I'm going to say what I have previously about P67 and Z68 again - I don't think we need display outputs on these boards. How many people genuinely need those outputs when they're buying a high end board? I know sometimes it may be handy, but not all that often. If you're worried about your primary GPU giving up the ghost, keep an old spare. That's what I've been doing for years and I've never even needed the thing. People who want a board to use with the onboard GPU should be looking elsewhere in my opinion, as they're already spending too much if they go Z68. Maybe there's a niche with such requirements, but mass produced boards aren't catering to niches.

Basically people want outputs so they can use Virtu, no outputs then from memory you cannot use Virtu to "smart" switch between onboard and discrete graphics.

Currently the onboard GPU is better at transcoding then most discrete GPUs in quality and performance and I believe that is why people are asking for outputs and going for the Asrock Extreme4.

Equally if I am only surfing then I don't need the power of my crossfired 5850s...

Swings and roundabouts I guess but I would prefer the transcoding performance if I were going with the Z68 so the Asrock would probably be my choice.

Soldato
What he said, really ^^

I like the idea of onboard GPU for every day use, and pretty impressive video transcoding, but still have plenty of need for a discrete gfx card for gaming and mining !
Gigabyte Z68 boards were crossed right off my list for this most recent upgrade, simply on the grounds they did not have video outputs (and therefore Virtu), leaving a toss-up between Asus and AsRock......no skin of my nose, but missed opportunity for Gigabyte, methinks, for other like-minded buyers ? Shame, as have liked previous Gigabyte board owned (K8NXP-SLI, way back when !)

Soldato
If I were buying a Sandy Bridge board, that would be the least of my worries. Modern GPUs have low power modes for desktop work anyway, which are pretty good now. I rarely, if ever, transcode stuff. Have done some home videoes last year, but to be honest the rate limiting step was editing them! My CPU was more than quick enough anyway, so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on that if I was buying for a high end rig.

Now if I was buying for a mainstream PC or building for family/friends at a lower cost, for sure I'd want that functionality, but I wouldn't be buying a Gigabyte Z68 board in that situation. Equally I'm not a fan of the ASRock Extreme4, as I don't see the point in so much legacy compatibility (though that is what they do best). For high end systems that just annoys me, but I understand it's great flexibility for some who still want stuff like that.

Associate
I used to be a die-hard gigabyte man, but my 3 years old mobo died for no apparent reason, and it turns out that 2 of my friends have had gigabyte mobos from 20080ish also dying on them (one of them an "ultra durable", and mine a Ep45-Extreme!)

So yes, 2 is a coincidence, 3 is a conspiracy, my next mobo is an Asus :/

Soldato
BusError said:
So yes, 2 is a coincidence, 3 is a conspiracy, my next mobo is an Asus :/
Gigabytes Warranty service is much better than Asus. Gigabyte turnaround is 2-3 days from Milton Keynes - UK.

Asus were supposed to have improved their RMA turnaround with a 3rd party repair service via Creative Computing, but still hear of people waiting over 28 days.

Even Asrock, MSI are based in the Netherlands, not good if you plan on owning a motherboard for more than a year when retailers will push you over to the manufacturer to organise RMA.

Biostar main base is in the Netherlands but the distributor Target Computing handle RMA for them in the UK.

Gigabyte Warranty is superior to all other motherboard manufacturers for people in the UK.

Associate
OP
Gigabytes Warranty service is much better than Asus. Gigabyte turnaround is 2-3 days from Milton Keynes - UK.

Asus were supposed to have improved their RMA turnaround with a 3rd party repair service via Creative Computing, but still hear of people waiting over 28 days.

Even Asrock, MSI are based in the Netherlands, not good if you plan on owning a motherboard for more than a year when retailers will push you over to the manufacturer to organise RMA.

Biostar main base is in the Netherlands but the distributor Target Computing handle RMA for them in the UK.

Gigabyte Warranty is superior to all other motherboard manufacturers for people in the UK.

Associate
OP
Why didnt gigabyte put vga sockets on some of there z68 boards like the ud4 ud5 and so on ?

On our high end Z68 what is the point of adding the extra cost for on board VGA ports when people are only ever going to use an extra VGA card to improve performance. On our low end version of Z68 where cost is more of an issue VGA support is available.

Associate
OP
Just something I noticed recently from making two builds with Gigabyte motherboards that Ive never seen before in other boards, eg, Asus etc.

On a cold start up, the motherboard shows the CPU and Ram at POST. If I do a normal restart from within Windows XP when it POST's again the CPU and Ram is not shown in the first screen at restart, only the usual Bios version, HDD's etc and then continues to load XP.

Is this normal? I always assusmed EVERY POST was the same no matter what kind of startup/restart so the CPU and Ram would be shown every time.

This is normal for our product as it will only do full test after cold boot to reduce reset times from Windows. This is not a feature on all our boards though

Associate
OP
Hi there, nice to see someone about to help.

Is there any reason why Gigabyte don't seem to have adopted the flashy GUI UEFI BIOS but still have the 2.2+ GB support but with an Award BIOS on top? Are you working on something awesome?! I've seen TouchBIOS, but that seems to be solely OS based.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the old fashioned BIOS, it's efficient, but it seems you might be missing a trick and selling point to average users. Or maybe I'm wrong and your boards already have a nice GUI BIOS? I was looking at the 990FX-UD7.

Maybe your LGA2011 boards will have it? Maybe there'll be a BIOS update for Bulldozer boards?

Sorry for all the questions, genuinely interested in the answer, I'm a fan of GB mobos. The new 990FX and Z68 boards look awesome.

Currently we are working on a possible GUI UEFI BIOS for our products but it will be some time before we are happy with the final result.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom