Hermes just stole my parcel?

Delivery from the rain forest today. Was at home, lights on, there's a knock at the door. Less than 3 seconds there's a "Sorry we missed you" card through the letter box. Really not joking. I manage to open the door as the guy is still on my property and hurrying down the path. "Hey - where's my parcel?!"

"Green box! Green box!" he yells as he disappears at a speed that makes me wonder why he even needs a van. Sure enough, shoved under my recycling box is my package. I've no idea who the carrier was. The flyer is just this orange and white thing saying "rain forest" at the top and the usual form boxes. There's no ID nor number and his van was just some generic white van. He did write "Green box" at the top though which I cannot believe was humanly possible to have written in between knocking at the door and putting the note through. In fact, I'm pretty darn certain to get away that fast he must have put the package under there BEFORE knocking. I was literally just a few metres away from the door when I heard the knock.

Dont Amazon have there own same day delivery people now? Could be one of them.

Also most delivery drivers get paid per drop so it wouldn't surprise me if that was what happened, parcel was placed first.

These guys are under massive pressure to deliver as many parcels as possible. This guy has clearly wrote a note telling you where the parcel is, knocked the door and left to save him hanging about on you answering. Done nothing wrong in my opinion if he seen you were in.

Absolute rubbish, The guy has one job to do and he couldn't even be bothered to do it correctly. I'm under pressure at my job to meet deadlines but I don't just do half the work and then say, "**** it, that'll do I suppose".

Absolute rubbish, The guy has one job to do and he couldn't even be bothered to do it correctly. I'm under pressure at my job to meet deadlines but I don't just do half the work and then say, "**** it, that'll do I suppose".
The parcel was delivered to the door. Job done. Why does it make a difference if he stands at a door and waits to deliver it to your hand? I bet these guys have to stand about at doors in all weathers for an age for some people to answer their doors. The problem being he is paid by the parcel, not very much may I add, but that's a different conversation entirely. If him taking shortcuts while still fulfilling his role achieves him being able to put food on the table for his family then good on him.

Last edited:
The parcel was delivered to the door. Job done. Why does it make a difference if he stands at a door and waits to deliver it to your hand? I bet these guys have to stand about at doors in all weathers for an age for some people to answer their doors. The problem being he is paid by the parcel, not very much may I add, but that's a different conversation entirely. If him taking shortcuts while still fulfilling his role achieves him being able to put food on the table for his family then good on him.

In principal, that's fine. In reality if i'd paid a few money for something and paid for delivery, dumping it outside my property where it risks being damaged/stolen is absolutely not OK. It's either put in my hand, delivered to a neighbour or taken back and i'm carded unless i've given instructions to the contrary.

The parcel was not delivered to to the door at all, it was dumped in a bin and pre-written card shoved through the letterbox which seems to indicate they he had no intention whatsoever of doing the job he's getting paid to do. What part of that scenario would you describe as 'delivered to the door'?

Not directly relevant to the issue of the thread, but always request to use a different courier than Hermes. I can't speak for the entire country but I worked at my local HUB for 6 months in my early twenties, and we were encouraged to literally frisbee parcels to load the lorrys quicker! This was an eye opener for me, the treatment of parcels was absurd. You could literally stand around which we often did as lorrys took a while to enter/exit your dock, and if you listened you could hear smashing/rattling glass etc all around the HUB.

Never worked at any other courier service though so maybe it's par for the course, but Adecco, Arcadia & Unipart just to name a few have always encouraged the utmost care of even durable goods, but those aren't courier services and we often weren't rushed for time, but the point stands.

EDIT: My cousin works for RM and hasn't seen any of it happen. No idea if it's a Hermes thing or a regional thing, but be warned.

These guys are under massive pressure to deliver as many parcels as possible. This guy has clearly wrote a note telling you where the parcel is, knocked the door and left to save him hanging about on you answering. Done nothing wrong in my opinion if he seen you were in.

And in my opinion a delivery person is supposed to make a genuine attempt to deliver the parcel to me before dumping it under a box by my front door. Whether that's the fault of him or the company, it's not acceptable to me. Doesn't matter if my living room lights are on or not.

is the contract to "deliver" fulfilled by handing it over to the purchaser or abandoning it at a location?

Dont Amazon have there own same day delivery people now? Could be one of them.

Also most delivery drivers get paid per drop so it wouldn't surprise me if that was what happened, parcel was placed first.

well i've done the amazon flex recently and you don't get paid per drop at all. you get paid for x hours and have to finish the route / attempt to deliver all of them however many there may be. if you take longer then that's on you. however by people saying on here with leaving a card it might be different for their actual employees, since with amazon flex you don't get any delivery cards at all. all you have is the app, where you can also ring the customer if no one answers the door, i might add.
a lot of the parcels however did say no recipient needed and i believe the customers must have added to leave it on front porch / rear porch.

well i've done the amazon flex recently and you don't get paid per drop at all. you get paid for x hours and have to finish the route / attempt to deliver all of them however many there may be. if you take longer then that's on you. however by people saying on here with leaving a card it might be different for their actual employees, since with amazon flex you don't get any delivery cards at all. all you have is the app, where you can also ring the customer if no one answers the door, i might add.
a lot of the parcels however did say no recipient needed and i believe the customers must have added to leave it on front porch / rear porch.
end of the day the hermes delivery failed to deliver the package to the customer despite being in the house

So he'll come under "most drivers get paid per drop" ?

DPD are just as bad, Ordered some bits from ocuk and another online store new years day, ocuk parcel arrived 2 days ago with dpd.

My other order from a competitor was sent as 2 seperate boxes with dpd too, A pc case which was sent in it's original box with a sticker on it so plain to see what was being sent and another plain brown box. They were labeled as 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 and yesterday I recieved 1 of 2 which was the case. The other parcel has somehow vanished at the DPD depot yet someone is scanning it every day at the depot. I now have to wait till tomorrow to see if they can find it and deliver it and if not then I have to wait till monday to try and get a refund. Pretty obvious it's stolen as they have looked at the parcels and thought that plain box has the bits to go in the case, Gutted that I got the one worth £50 and they get the one worth over £900 :(

It's not the first time with DPD either, had some trainers go walkies ;) Same again, parcel got scanned everyday for a week yet nobody could locate it at the depot and then another time with my Samsung S9+ on release day, The driver signed for it in my name and when the text came through to say it had been delievered I was on the phone instantly.....they called the driver who had just gone off shift and he had turned his phone off......a few days later this guy turns up at the door with the phone, says he was the delivery driver and had delivered it to the wrong house and that his boss had told him to get out and find it and dont come back to work till he had.

What can you do if everyone uses them though?

DPD are just as bad, Ordered some bits from ocuk and another online store new years day, ocuk parcel arrived 2 days ago with dpd.

My other order from a competitor was sent as 2 seperate boxes with dpd too, A pc case which was sent in it's original box with a sticker on it so plain to see what was being sent and another plain brown box. They were labeled as 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 and yesterday I recieved 1 of 2 which was the case. The other parcel has somehow vanished at the DPD depot yet someone is scanning it every day at the depot. I now have to wait till tomorrow to see if they can find it and deliver it and if not then I have to wait till monday to try and get a refund. Pretty obvious it's stolen as they have looked at the parcels and thought that plain box has the bits to go in the case, Gutted that I got the one worth £50 and they get the one worth over £900 :(

It's not the first time with DPD either, had some trainers go walkies ;) Same again, parcel got scanned everyday for a week yet nobody could locate it at the depot and then another time with my Samsung S9+ on release day, The driver signed for it in my name and when the text came through to say it had been delievered I was on the phone instantly.....they called the driver who had just gone off shift and he had turned his phone off......a few days later this guy turns up at the door with the phone, says he was the delivery driver and had delivered it to the wrong house and that his boss had told him to get out and find it and dont come back to work till he had.

What can you do if everyone uses them though?
Something is fishy . I've got shafted loads of times since black Friday I may add.

What's going on? I'm becoming more hesitant in buying goods online..

I ordered a 59p cable on amazon through prime and that was left in my green bin outside my front door, the driver didn't even attempt to knock. Disgusting behaviour I don't care if he has 87 drops to do I expect him to wait at my front door for me to answer then let me sign for the goods at my own pace. What's this country coming too I blaim brexit.

Back
Top Bottom