Hip-hop thread

Soldato
Saw ocean wisdom last week. Was decent but wasn’t overly impressed.

some great albums last few weeks/months.

Gangstarr - one of the best yet

Had this on repeat a lot. New Preemo beats with Guru? Instant classic.

Charlie 2na and Krafty Kuts - Adventures of a reluctant superhero

always been a Charlie 2nafish fan if nothing else cause of J5. Its only 40 minutes but a really good listen

Permabanned
The real hip-hop is over here. 55years old and still killing it, your looking at a man who has been around since the beginning respected by all those that before and after him. Listen to what he’s saying.

Freestyle with substance completely off the top. True MC.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
I've been blasting the new Action Bronson & Alchemist - Lamb over Rice EP and Ka - Grief Pedigree all week.

New Gang Starr album is big too. All stompers although I'm not quite sure on that tune with Q-Tip (Hit Man). Rest is wicked.

Permabanned
Someone said are their any good rappers in the U.S still. Well I’m not all that familiar with the uk scene but if their is anyone better than King Los in the U.k. I haven’t heard it.

Associate
Enjoyed the latest Czarface album: The Odd Czar Against Us. Quality production touches, particularly on the opener Bizarro, Burrito and Brother Czarquis. Comical, and not a 'b****', 'n****' or 'young money' in sight.

Review

Soldato
Are there any decent US rappers left, or is it all dumbed down, auto tuned mumbling these days? I feel like such a "boomer" when I look for tracks on Youtube as it almost all sounds awful to me. It used to be my parents saying my rap music was crap and now im doing the same for the current rap music. I imagined myself always listening to rap until I got old, but now I tend to just listen to older rap and the new stuff just sounds retarded to me.

This is why i'm glad there are some UK artists that value their work more than money and haven't changed their content to appeal to the current US market.

This

The real hip-hop is over here. 55years old and still killing it, your looking at a man who has been around since the beginning respected by all those that before and after him. Listen to what he’s saying.

Freestyle with substance completely off the top. True MC.

True, but as you say, he's 55/56 years old. Where are modern versions of Albums like Liquid Swords, tracks like Mobb Deep - Shook Ones, Ice-T New Jack Hustler, Nas - New York State of Mind etc...

Probably the only 'modern' album I've enjoyed is Jeezy - The Recession, that bizarrely came out before the recession.

Permabanned
This

True, but as you say, he's 55/56 years old. Where are modern versions of Albums like Liquid Swords, tracks like Mobb Deep - Shook Ones, Ice-T New Jack Hustler, Nas - New York State of Mind etc...

Probably the only 'modern' album I've enjoyed is Jeezy - The Recession, that bizarrely came out before the recession.
No doubt the standard has dropped since the golden era of the 90’s but their are still plenty out there most are not what you call mainstream.

Permabanned
I like watching reactions and these guys are really good at catching bars and breaking them down. They did the best one that I have seen with Black thought.

Heres a few and their is many more but you have to look a little harder than you did in the 90’s. But sorry the yanks can still rap better than the English not sure how you would measure it but I’m fairly confident.

Man of Honour
UK rap and US rap might as well be different genres, they’re so different it’s all personal preference. The last vid you posted, I saw them react to the Stormzy/Wiley beef and it was awful. You just have to appreciate both for what they are.

I grew up on US rap but I’m feeling UK grime right now. The new JHus album is a 10/10 for me for example. Same with Kano’s album last year.

Currently listening to the new Eminem and I just don’t understand the appeal of him once you’re 18+.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
exgb8eUl.jpg
How is Gang Starr there? Guru died about ten years ago :confused:

Saw NaS at Leeds festival a few years ago, always wanted to as he is my favourite artist of all time and he did not disappoint!

Soldato
exgb8eUl.jpg
How is Gang Starr there? Guru died about ten years ago :confused:

Saw NaS at Leeds festival a few years ago, always wanted to as he is my favourite artist of all time and he did not disappoint!

Oh wow! I may have to try and get tickets for this. Nas and DMX. Ooph.

Guru had died about 10 years ago, sadly. But I expect it'll be Preemo doing the latest album which used lots of Gurus old unheard bars.

Back
Top Bottom