Hiphop fans in here?

5bjoshua said:
Hip hop is dead tbh, i am upset by this.

I mostly buy hip hop CD's, i hate all this Hip-Pop, hip hop died in 2000 or maybe earlier! I would say hip hop is my favourite genre but i am not tied down to this, i like many genres! I am studying sound engineering at college so i usually listen to a variety of different genres! Loving enigma at the moment!

I whole heartily agree with your Slim Shady LP comment soulja! That album was his best without a doubt!

I doubt ill buy a hip hop album past the date of 2000 except maybe Dr.Dre Detox. The Chronic in my eyes was a superb album! West Coat died after this.

I am into DJ premier production at the moment, actually for some time. I urge everyone to go ahead and buy Group Home-Livin Proof just for the production! This album never gets boring! I am at the moment getting all the Gang Starr albums to add to my collection of hip hop.

Anyone like Dr.Octagon-Dr. Octagonecologyst, this has to be one of my favourite albums ever! I also urge people to get this!

In my view early nineties to mid nineties is the golden age of hip hop, this age saw quality production from little hardware, great use of samples and awesome beats! I just wish it was more like this nowadays!

One can only hope!

Josh

EDIT-Does anyone think Drum and Bass is going the same way, listened to a few of Pendulum's tracks and thought they were dire, Pop Drum and Bass :(

Hip hop is far from dead, its just the sheer volume of releases, you have to sort through the wheat from the chaff.

The late eighties through to 97 will always be the golden era of hip hop, but since then we have had some premium albums, as good as anything from the early nineties.

At the moment im still loving anything that Dangermouse puts his paws to, the MF Grimm album, american hunger, over 3 cd's is a true epic, and people are hailing it a modern classic.

The good stuff's still there dood, the crates are a little deeper to dig around in, but theres still solid gold to be found.

I agree that there is good stuff Inward, its just Hip Hop doesn't sound right anymore, its all gone all very software based on computers and personally i do not like this sound. Hip Hop was about ruff samples and great melodies in my opinion.

Wu-Tang-36 Chambers is a superb example of what was good in hip hop, strong vocals, great melodies and beats. This album just sounds good even though technically it isn't! This is an amazing album because its an instant classic, great samples that make you love the songs instantly!

The same can be said about many albums from that era e.g Snoop Dogg-Doggystyle.

Josh

5bjoshua said:
I agree that there is good stuff Inward, its just Hip Hop doesn't sound right anymore, its all gone all very software based on computers and personally i do not like this sound. Hip Hop was about ruff samples and great melodies in my opinion.

Wu-Tang-36 Chambers is a superb example of what was good in hip hop, strong vocals, great melodies and beats. This album just sounds good even though technically it isn't! This is an amazing album because its an instant classic, great samples that make you love the songs instantly!

Josh

Its the nature of the beast now though Josh, the money people want for samples is too much, so artists have had to diversify, use live bands and other medium for getting their beats.

The golden era will always be 89-95, but there is many many quality artists who have came out since then, stuff you would love. I was in the same position about this time last year, i was listening to stuff i had listened to since 87 when i started listening to rap, and stopped investing my time around 98, ive had some great experiences listening to stuff i missed out on between 98 and 2005, when i stopped reading about hip hop.

Some of the stuff has been every bit as good as the stuff i used to listen to, but its just so diluted, its harder to find, but the cream is always there.

InwardSinging said:
Its the nature of the beast now though Josh, the money people want for samples is too much, so artists have had to diversify, use live bands and other medium for getting their beats.

The Roots have always created and performed their own stuff live on stage with real instruments. In fact, their last album "Game Theory" was probably my album of the year for this year ('06). :)

InwardSinging said:
Hip hop is far from dead, its just the sheer volume of releases, you have to sort through the wheat from the chaff.

The late eighties through to 97 will always be the golden era of hip hop, but since then we have had some premium albums, as good as anything from the early nineties.

At the moment im still loving anything that Dangermouse puts his paws to, the MF Grimm album, american hunger, over 3 cd's is a true epic, and people are hailing it a modern classic.

The good stuff's still there dood, the crates are a little deeper to dig around in, but theres still solid gold to be found.
Well said. There are still lots of good tunes being released, you just have to know where to find them. If you base an opinion regarding most types of music over the last 5 or so years on what you hear on the radio or MTV then you're not really being fair to the industry.

A mate of mine is a pretty decent hip hop DJ, was in the UK DMC finals in London earlier this year and has floor to ceiling piles of vinyl, most of which I've never even heard of but there are some crackers in there, just because he spends hours sifting through vinyl in dimly lit, basement shops in London, Brum, Manchester etc looking for good stuff, and he always finds some.

Spunj99 said:
The Roots have always created and performed their own stuff live on stage with real instruments. In fact, their last album "Game Theory" was probably my album of the year for this year ('06). :)

Yeh that was a great album, i went to see them in concert a couple of weeks ago in Glasgow, top night.

anyone into UK hiphop, planb docbrown etc?

To me this is better than the US commercial regurgated crap from the likes of 50 cent who all he raps about is either guns or 'going to the club'

tang0 said:
anyone into UK hiphop, planb docbrown etc?

To me this is better than the US commercial regurgated crap from the likes of 50 cent who all he raps about is either guns or 'going to the club'

Plan B were the support for the roots, they were absolutely superb, actually they blew the roots away that night.

I used to love british hip hop, Gunshot, Son of Noise, Krispy 3, The Ruthless Rap Assasins, Katch 22 etc, i have so much old british hip hop vinyl, i used to buy everything that came out.

The only british stuff i bought in recent times was Skinnyman, Council estate of the mind was a barnstorming album, highly recommended.

5bjoshua said:

I agree. GZA- Liquid Swords is quality, too. I'm a big fan of the 'lo-fi' sound. Recording samples to analogue tape before re-sampling them, gives tracks a multilayered depth. Hip hop is at its best when its gritty and edgey. Productions today are too over compressed, mixes of old had room to breathe. This is indicative of much modern music as a whole, though.

i listen 2 hip-hop still but i havnt been impressed for a long time, i liked a few of 50 cents underground mixtapes, nothing comercial (besides get rich or die trying had a few tracks i liked) but i must say that things will never be the same since Tupac left us, he was the truth

Back
Top Bottom